Goodbyyye, Solo!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread... not what I expected :)

Agent0028 and tomandshell are right... Lucas settles this on the DVD commentary track, and it is a measurement of distance.

If memory serves, Lucas said that the biggest challenge of hyperspace was plotting your course. Hence, those pilots who could plot a shorter or more direct course would arrive at their destination faster. So Han was bragging about the course he plotted for the Kessel Run.

I also take this to mean that the design/ability of a ship dictates what kind of course the pilot can plot due to obsticals, etc.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. George Lucas:

"One of the concepts that’s sort of been controversial is the fact that when Han Solo talks about getting from Point A to Point B, he talks in terms of parsecs, which is distance, rather than time. The premise being that in order to travel through hyperspace, you have to plot a course around all of the stuff, you know, all of the planets and stars and everything. So the fastest way to two points is a straight line, and it’s up to your navicomputer and your navigation skills—that’s what makes you go fast, and in the particular case of the Millennium Falcon, the Falcon has an extremely sophisticated navigation system, so the reason it’s the fastest ship in the galaxy is not because it actually has speed, but it has navigational skills that allow it to go from Point A to Point B faster than anybody else. And of course, that was never explained, and people got very confused by it, but if you follow the story I think you would figure it out—that speed is determined by distance. I mean, the speed you get to a point is the distance you travel. If there’s a lot in the way and you fly through something, it will obviously destroy you. So the idea is that you’ve got to plot a course around everything and you’ll get there in the fastest route."

Back