Godzilla Minus One - December 1, 2023

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kebron fix your spoiler tag so that I can answer your question lol

What you call him?!! :lol

Pug GIF

Ah...it's a Spanish joke. No one will get it...:monkey2

Last edited:
Back from viewing #2. OK, the black stuff under Noriko's skin was definitely moving up her neck. My son loved the movie and agrees with the theory that the infection helped her survive/regenerate.....from what was likely red mist based on the devastation from the shock wave after Godzilla unleashed his atomic blast. He's got a point lol. And while he thinks hands down this has better characters and a better story he didn't immediately put this above Shin Godzilla on his list for sheer enjoyment. Looks like I'm going to need to find a copy of that ASAP & watch it after all lol...

p.s. - No watery eyes this time. Knowing what was coming definitely lessened the emotional impact for me but it was still a lot of fun, especially seeing how much my son enjoyed it. I was a bit worried I'd overhyped it but it more than lived up to his expectations.
I like Shin quite a lot but I love MO.

Shin is definitely a tough watch with the subtitles because of the rapid fire government dialogue, by design.

You will see what I’m talking about lol

Bottom line is that we are blessed to have two awesome Godzilla movies with Shin and MO and even with them being seven years apart that wait was so worth it!

Last edited:
Holy crap I just remembered that Godzilla vs. Biollante came out in...1989.
GvB came to my Video store in the middle of winter. I told them to hold it for me and call when it came in.

They called in the middle of a snowstorm.

I lived in the country 10 miles away

I made the trip

Took 2 hours to get there and back

It was worth it :)

Wor-Gar with your love for JAWS (the movie but I'm sure you love our buddy here too, lol) I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by passing on this one opportunity to see GMO on the big screen.

Imagine if JAWS had opened with the sinking of the Indianapolis and then had Quint be the main character suffering survivor's guilt and a thirst for revenge. Such an awesome alternate take on a truly classic tale.

Godzilla head-to-legs ratio always reminds me of this line:

07cb1335-58ca-44db-bc02-63d6cb8741d5_text.gif
1701879379888.gif

Got tix for tomorrow in IMAX, it was supposed to have left my local theater already, but they had such a positive response, its being held over......

Glad to catch it in IMAX.

I like that it transcends all ages. There was a family that sat in front of us with grandma. When that Godzilla march came on, she along with her family started punching the air and bouncing up and down like little kids.

I did laugh a bit when that blast carried Noriko up into the air.

It's even better the second time around. They had a stack of those little mini posters about 5 inches high just sitting there. They were also playing The Abyss in 4K and Monty Python's The Holy Grail. Unfortunately those two were tonight only, but I did snag an Abyss poster.

From Toho's Godzilla Twitter account:

Quote:
#GodzillaMinusOne isn’t going anywhere! In fact, the film will be playing on EVEN MORE North American screens this coming weekend—increasing to over 2,500 locations in the US & Canada starting December 8.
As long as people are attending, showtimes will continue. So get your tickets and spread the word! GODZILLA MINUS ONE is (still) NOW PLAYING NATIONWIDE

Godzilla -1 Review.
SPOILERS IN THIS POST.
8/10

Let me start out by saying, I had the first 1/4 of the film ruined for me by 5 kids in pajamas who were left in the mostly empty mid afternoon IMAX showing by irresponsible parents.

They talked out loud , laughed, were on their cell phones.....all of it. Right next to my family. After the Atomic breath scene and its emotional impaxt were muted by their rudeness, I finally stood over them , told them they were rude and disrespectful, and told them to SHUT THE F$@&&@ UP! They did, and moved a row away....never have I had to do something like that, but also never have I witnesses such incredible entitlement.

I got to watch the rest in peace , but I would be lying if I didnt admit it took me far out of the story and then I struggles to get back to it.

Overall, its a steller human PTSD story, about an entire country trying to come to grips with the destruction of war, the shame of following their government, and the sacrifices made by the average person for the "cause"

The theme of the film was suffering, and that only through self determination and common group effort could suffering be quelled. For a few short moments, we all held our breath as the characters who were trying to move past thier collective new horror for a brighter future, faced total annihilation. To me , the crowning moment of the film, was watching them all fail, and have to look down the literal throat of destruction....helpless. Until the final cog, moved past his own ghosts, and placed the final part of the collective puzzle together.

Something the Japanese people and nation actually did. This could not be more obvious that this film was a allegory for WWII, which the Japanese people are still reluctant to examine. It seems that they can only breach these topics in anime and Godzilla films , as confronting it directly is still too painful.

I will say, I think there may have been a MUCH darker cut of this film, where Koichi does die, and Noriko has not survived.I have been struggling with this idea since leaving the theater, and wondering would the film have been better with this ending?

Overall, I think not, and the mirror of the heroes and the resurrection of Japan as a country are to analogous to ignore and in the end poetic.

Also, speaking a bit of Japanese helped. The jokes landed a bit better, and the anger and emotion of the characters can easily be out of sync when reading subtitles.....its just an unfortunate reality of subtitles films.
In the Japanese classic "Shall we Dance" (highly highly recommended) much of the humor is related to the culture and the WAY in which things are said, the company it is said, and the tone...which is tough to comprehend through subtitles, and a lack of cultural understanding. G-1 also had loads of this, which as great as it is, will fall short in western eyes and culture....muting the impact of the film. As great as this was, to a person able to understand the language and culture , its even better.

The effects worked for the most of the story only appearing wonky to my eyes in the boat chase and the boats starting out in the final act. They gave the look of models in a filming tank, which to a Gfan like myself came off nostalgic and therefore easily overlooked. So were they paying homage to JAWS with the mine scenes?

Its going in my collection, I am eager to see theories from you guys on Norikos "birthmark" and the regeneration scenes.

After all, we need Godzilla to Raid Again.

Last edited:
Back