GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS - Legendary Pictures' Godzilla 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be interesting to compare DO to KOM in terms of box office....

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

That I can understand. After the mixed response to the first one, they wanted to let people know this Godzilla movie was actually gonna have Godzilla in it.:lol

Yeah.. They sure wanted to push the fact that this movie was going to have lots and lots of monsters when compared to the first film..

I get why they did it for sure. I wish they didn't as it would have been a much better experience for me.. Even though I still really enjoyed it.

Well in 2 weeks its up to almost 300 millian world wide..Basically a single day of sales for Endgame. :lol

300 million.. with a 170 million budget.. We sure that with advertising it needed to hit 400 million to break even ?

Well in 2 weeks its up to almost 300 millian world wide..Basically a single day of sales for Endgame. :lol

300 million.. with a 170 million budget.. We sure that with advertising it needed to hit 400 million to break even ?

Likely. Advertising and fees and interest, not to mention payouts and bonuses if any to the producers or director (though it probably never reached a threshold to kick in). Toys won't sell so they'd better pray for blu ray sales.

Finally saw this yesterday. Great monster action! I just wish the humans got out of the way and let them duke it out. Dropping that bomb and almost killing their best chance to fight these things are what humans do best. Destroy their best option for survival then try and fix it.

I wonder if nerd fatigue is setting in?

DP is doing horrible as well. I think EG may be the signal that people are tiring of superhero/sci-fi stuff.

It happened before in the late 80’s.

Hardcore fans like us cannot imagine this, but it happens.

I wonder if nerd fatigue is setting in?

DP is doing horrible as well. I think EG may be the signal that people are tiring of superhero/sci-fi stuff.

It happened before in the late 80’s.

Hardcore fans like us cannot imagine this, but it happens.

If Far From Home bombs, you may be onto something. But I don't think it will.

Dark Phoenix tried to remake the worst X-films with no new interesting visuals and a "women are better than men" message. Considering that Terminator Dark Fate appears to be doing those *exact* same things they might just want to cut their losses now and release it straight to Netflix or something.

Dark Phoenix tried to remake the worst X-films with no new interesting visuals and a "women are better than men" message. Considering that Terminator Dark Fate appears to be doing those *exact* same things they might just want to cut their losses now and release it straight to Netflix or something.

Yup, the attempt to attract a female audience to nerd films was somewhat successful with MCU, but overall , I do not think its a sustainable trend for most franchises.

I am curious about Rambo....if that does really well, that might be the signal that nerds are out, and manly men are back....

John Wick also...

I feel like there are some trends going on in Hollywood right now that are taking movies downhill, and I well preface it by saying I'm not against the ideas behind them, I just think the executions are being poorly handled. First is the "woman power" movement, production companies are feeling so pressured to push this idea, instead of just coming up with strong characters and then making them female, they're including a female and then going out of their way to make them look strong. Character like Ripley and Sarah Connor don't look strong because the studio went out of their way to make them look like that, the story called for a lone survivor against the odds and just happened to make that character female so it was ultimately woman who defied them, but you could easily swap a man into the part and get the same impact and that's why it works. Movies like Captain Marvel work so hard to promote that only a woman could be in that role and that's why such attempts fail. The only way to successfully promote equality is to have the film and role be gender neutral in that whether it be a man or woman, it works in the story equally and gender is just a choice, not a motivation.

The next one is similar in this whole notion of race equality. Movies are now going out of their way with casting and story to promote the idea that we're all equal and much like the "woman power" concept, the stories are forcing the message in and putting a focus on it instead of just happening to cast characters or write situations that naturally show off and promote this idea.

The last one I see is a much grander notion which is the realism movement. Particularly taking off post-Dark Knight, there's this push that every film has to feel like a real world situation that could easily happen and because it's real world, it has to be bleak and hopeless. To me, this over-realism is one of the things that hurt Godzilla 2014's story and characters, and now, trying to release a totally fantastical film like KOTM in a time where people want such films to feel uber realistic is making it unappealing.

Bit by bit it feels like Holloywood is forgetting that the whole point of film is to provide escapism and provide a fun experience and their actions are shaping the audiences which is in turn hurting studios who dare to break that mold.

I feel like there are some trends going on in Hollywood right now that are taking movies downhill, and I well preface it by saying I'm not against the ideas behind them, I just think the executions are being poorly handled. First is the "woman power" movement, production companies are feeling so pressured to push this idea, instead of just coming up with strong characters and then making them female, they're including a female and then going out of their way to make them look strong. Character like Ripley and Sarah Connor don't look strong because the studio went out of their way to make them look like that, the story called for a lone survivor against the odds and just happened to make that character female so it was ultimately woman who defied them, but you could easily swap a man into the part and get the same impact and that's why it works. Movies like Captain Marvel work so hard to promote that only a woman could be in that role and that's why such attempts fail. The only way to successfully promote equality is to have the film and role be gender neutral in that whether it be a man or woman, it works in the story equally and gender is just a choice, not a motivation.

The next one is similar in this whole notion of race equality. Movies are now going out of their way with casting and story to promote the idea that we're all equal and much like the "woman power" concept, the stories are forcing the message in and putting a focus on it instead of just happening to cast characters or write situations that naturally show off and promote this idea.

The last one I see is a much grander notion which is the realism movement. Particularly taking off post-Dark Knight, there's this push that every film has to feel like a real world situation that could easily happen and because it's real world, it has to be bleak and hopeless. To me, this over-realism is one of the things that hurt Godzilla 2014's story and characters, and now, trying to release a totally fantastical film like KOTM in a time where people want such films to feel uber realistic is making it unappealing.

Bit by bit it feels like Holloywood is forgetting that the whole point of film is to provide escapism and provide a fun experience and their actions are shaping the audiences which is in turn hurting studios who dare to break that mold.

I agree except you’re wrong about CM that movie was a massive success for Marvel it failed at nothing.

I agree except you’re wrong about CM that movie was a massive success for Marvel it failed at nothing.

I guess I shouldn't lump in CM as a failure, but I think it's clear, you couldn't take that film and drop a man into the role, the entire film is aimed at promoting that it's a woman doing everything. That said, the same movie as some action film and not a Marvel film would bomb :lol

I think that Aquaman showed that audiences are more than happy to take breaks from uber realism and just enjoy straight up escapist fantasy. Same with a lot of Marvel films like GotG, Ragnarok, and of course IW/EG.

I think that Aquaman showed that audiences are more than happy to take breaks from uber realism and just enjoy straight up escapist fantasy. Same with a lot of Marvel films like GotG, Ragnarok, and of course IW/EG.

When DP crossed into that Aquaman/KOTM tone is when I enjoyed it the most like with the opening space rescue that was super fun.

The train rescue as well.

Last edited:

I would say, comic book films see success whether they follow trends or not simply because of their content. Comic Book films are the most lucrative genre going right now, probably followed next by Disney movies, but you also have to make good films and promote them well. I think X-Men burnt bridges with the discontinuity they've gone through.

I feel like the pressure to consume everything is starting to get to people. “I have to Watch marvel. I have to watch game of thrones. I have to watch DC. I have to this that that this”. I wonder if people are subconsciously and consciously sacrificing certain things based on a interior value system based on bias. What is Godzilla to most people besides another disaster movie? Oh dark Phoenix has no connection the MCU so I don’t need to bother. That kind of stuff creeps in.

Well yes that is also true but so was AntMan 2 and that fizzed so something about CM made it more interesting than AM2.

I can speak to that, the main draw getting me to see CM in theaters instead of waiting for Blu Ray was that the end of IW made it seem like she would play a large role in defeating Thanos, so I wanted to understand the character so I could go along with the EG story better. CW gave plenty on Black Panther where I never felt need to run out to that movie before seeing IW.

I feel like the pressure to consume everything is starting to get to people. “I have to Watch marvel. I have to watch game of thrones. I have to watch DC. I have to this that that this”. I wonder if people are subconsciously and consciously sacrificing certain things based on a interior value system based on bias. What is Godzilla to most people besides another disaster movie? Oh dark Phoenix has no connection the MCU so I don’t need to bother. That kind of stuff creeps in.

Movies and shows have always been a point of social connection, but I agree, instead of just participating in it, there's a growing pressure that you must participate in it, like you're shunned if someone asks "did you see ......, no, how could you not watch that", whereas at one time, it seemed more like, "did you see...., me too, wasn't it great." It was fun to find others who saw and also liked something, but now you're treated like an outcast if you didn't even watch it.

Back