Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I just pulled out the measuring tape after reading that the X-Plus Shin is only 10" high... I've got the Banpresto, which is 9" already, so I've essentially pre-ordered another Shin that's a different (some say inferior) sculpt - only 1" taller. :rolleyes2

It's almost too tiny to call X-Plus.

X-Plus has two scales for Godzilla pieces, 10" and 12" tall, though they seem to keep mostly to the 12", which is wise, really sets them apart from NECA or Bandai scales.

Unfortunately, with the size of Shin Godzilla, companies seem to be going for scaled back size or cutting proportions shorter. Banpresto vinyls have been 10" in height ('54, 2000), but with Shin G they went down to a 9" figure and it's still big with the tail, where Sakai's original sculpt is about 10", so they definitely made a choice to reduce the size.

Bandai seems proportional on the MMS 6" vinyl but shortened the tail a bit on the 11" MKS figure.

NECA is a bit off in overall proportions and usually undersizes Godzilla tails, but still, their tail is shorter.

Unless you're getting X-Plus with the atomic breath feature, I don't think it's worth the additional cost if you've already got the Banpresto, superior accuracy, better pose in my opinion, paint's the best thing X-Plus has over Banpresto.

But with NECA it's not so much as a stylized take on the character as it is just basic failure to nail a sculpt. Nevis figures aren't bad for their price (to a degree) but saying they might have taken an artistic or stylistic approaches giving too much credit.

Agreed, NECA's figures come out with a style to them, and I like it, but given their commitment to film accuracy with everything, it's not an intended style, it's just a sculptor who has a style and doesn't seem capable of matching the film design 1:1 to the level of Sakai or even X-Plus or some of the vinyl companies out there, but, some are quite better than a lot of Bandai Creations work.

You know, I just pulled out the measuring tape after reading that the X-Plus Shin is only 10" high... I've got the Banpresto, which is 9" already, so I've essentially pre-ordered another Shin that's a different (some say inferior) sculpt - only 1" taller. :rolleyes2

:lol

It's almost too tiny to call X-Plus.
I think there is an appreciable size difference.
shin.jpg

Is shin supposed to be 10" tall or just in that series' scale?

I thought I had read that he'll be big for the line like destroyah or burning G.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well the SD or super stylized figures aside, I feel like I've seen more of 2000 figures or kits in the concept or maquette style. As you mentioned the banpresto, the monsterarts, the gigantic x-plus, most of the kits I've seen, etc.

But with NECA it's not so much as a stylized take on the character as it is just basic failure to nail a sculpt. Nevis figures aren't bad for their price (to a degree) but saying they might have taken an artistic or stylistic approaches giving too much credit.

The x-plus gigantic burning godzilla is stylish. I think their standard 30cm 89 and 92 are just misses, not intentionally stylish. The new sakai 92 is a movie replica.

As far as Shin goes, the banpresto looks great. I do think the head on the x-plus is more accurate but the body might be more traditional Toho-esque. He looks more stocky like the traditional look. Either way both look damn good to my eye.

Re the stockiness of 2014 it was widely known that the Japanese impression of legendary godzilla was that he was fat. Of course to us a lot of godzillas look fat which is why our depictions in comics and cartoons always s gave him a beer belly.
I doubt they were trying t make it look like a suit because the Japanese in general were awestruck by the girth of 2014. But these are subjective things t be sure. the fat wrists, cankles, tiny bead eyes, stubby feet, no obvious waist.

As great as Sakai is, there are certain godzillas he does weird things to regularly.. His 62 godzillas tend to have a thinner upper jaw than The suit especially some f his small scale sculpts...but. Don't think these are aesthetic choices but more his subjective image of what Godzilla looks like. But he can do these sculpts quickly. I love his 89/91 godzillas and To me his heiseis are the best ever. Though there are a few kits from some other companies that rival his accuracy.

But Sakai is the best f the best and the most prolific of G sculptors...my favorite tihing he did was the 89 r/c suit...

Re the stockiness of 2014 it was widely known that the Japanese impression of legendary godzilla was that he was fat. Of course to us a lot of godzillas look fat which is why our depictions in comics and cartoons always s gave him a beer belly.
I doubt they were trying t make it look like a suit because the Japanese in general were awestruck by the girth of 2014. But these are subjective things t be sure. the fat wrists, cankles, tiny bead eyes, stubby feet, no obvious waist.

As great as Sakai is, there are certain godzillas he does weird things to regularly.. His 62 godzillas tend to have a thinner upper jaw than The suit especially some f his small scale sculpts...but. Don't think these are aesthetic choices but more his subjective image of what Godzilla looks like. But he can do these sculpts quickly. I love his 89/91 godzillas and To me his heiseis are the best ever. Though there are a few kits from some other companies that rival his accuracy.

But Sakai is the best f the best and the most prolific of G sculptors...my favorite tihing he did was the 89 r/c suit...
Yeah Japan prefers this one more powerhouse looking.
bc0c32f21f09cfb0c651dea11b4e1b84.jpg

Yeah Japan prefers this one more powerhouse looking.
bc0c32f21f09cfb0c651dea11b4e1b84.jpg

That's a great picture!
To me and most typical G fans, Godzilla looks tough, not fat....and personally I'm not a fan of the typically 1980's cartoon pot bellied godzillas...I can't count how many times someone would look at my godzillas and the first thing they notice are his "thunder thighs". Really? That's the first thing? But then I realize too most folks think of a lizard and whether it's the thighs or th length of the tail or the canine, or feline, or crocodilians muzzle, their idea of Godzilla is so simplified...they don't realize how inspired and varying godzillas designs really are

i REALLY want to see what a fight between Shin Godzilla and another kaiju would be like, also a new kaiju or updated classic design via the shin team would be cool to see. i realize Hideaki Anno said no more after this but hoping the success of Shin has changed his mind abit....

So what's the consensus of Shin Goji's tail at the end of the film for those who saw it?

my take that was the next mutation human sized shins... i guess. still trying to wrap my head round that. one of my fav parts of movie for sure. wht do you think?

my take that was the next mutation human sized shins... i guess. still trying to wrap my head round that. one of my fav parts of movie for sure. wht do you think?

Part of the ever evolving process of G. Something tells me whatever he consumes gets mutated (instead of?)digested ...are these people he has actually eaten as his smaller form
. and he will eventually split off into other creature as he continues growing maybe...anxiously awaiting a sequel to start answering questions...could do without all the talking heads shots though...the speculation scenes, and montages of computer and cerebral work reminds me of the Big Bang theory thinking montage with Sheldon and Raj.

So what's the consensus of Shin Goji's tail at the end of the film for those who saw it?

Shin Godzilla is perfect organism that can modify his genetics to suit his survival needs. He started aquatic, developed legs and ability to breathe on land, adapted to walk upright and then grew in size. I see it as the next adaptation, as a single being, he couldn't defend himself ultimately and now he's evolving into multiple beings.

IMG_0605.JPG

Not many details yet on this other than Bandai clearly listed in the article and 25cm height, all I know is, I really hope I can get one, it's my favorite mass production Shin Godzilla I've seen yet.

Shin Godzilla is perfect organism that can modify his genetics to suit his survival needs. He started aquatic, developed legs and ability to breathe on land, adapted to walk upright and then grew in size. I see it as the next adaptation, as a single being, he couldn't defend himself ultimately and now he's evolving into multiple beings.

View attachment 300653

Not many details yet on this other than Bandai clearly listed in the article and 25cm height, all I know is, I really hope I can get one, it's my favorite mass production Shin Godzilla I've seen yet.

Wait. Which one is this?

Back