Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a big ole' box from BBTS today. Love this figure. Love it. It has a good weight to it. If you glued his feet to a base, the tail would be slightly raised so that it wasn't touching the ground. It has a few seams but I'm willing to accept that for what it is.

shin01.jpg

shin02.jpg

shin03.jpg

shin04.jpg

shinwalker.jpg

Wow, the SEGA Shin Godzilla sold out at BBTS already, Shin merch is in high demand. Still hoping for a mass release from Banpresto for cheap.

I also want to mention that BBTS shipping was super cheap and quick. They even double boxed the merch. so it was perfect.

I still can't get over just how horrific looking Shin is, they really created a Godzilla to be frightful of this time around.

He was so punishing, he oozed attitude with his quiet slow demeanor.

Like look at me you pathetic humans, i'm going to **** your world up right about now lol.

Has anyone ever sold or built a city diorama to go with all these godzilla figures?

I built myself one about 25 years ago. I used an old table that I had. I bought N scale train set buildings, trees, utility poles, and some roads and glued then on the table. It wasn't very cheap to build, but it was fun and looked okay. I will try to find some pictures and post them.

Has anyone ever sold or built a city diorama to go with all these godzilla figures?

I found some old pics of the display that I built. The pics aren't the best, but here they are.

Attachments

• _20161022_115454.JPG
    _20161022_115454.JPG
    960.8 KB · Views: 95
  • _20161022_115530.JPG
    _20161022_115530.JPG
    846.6 KB · Views: 94
  • _20161022_115606.JPG
    _20161022_115606.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
Got a big ole' box from BBTS today. Love this figure. Love it. It has a good weight to it. If you glued his feet to a base, the tail would be slightly raised so that it wasn't touching the ground. It has a few seams but I'm willing to accept that for what it is.

shin01.jpg

shin02.jpg

shin03.jpg

shin04.jpg

shinwalker.jpg

SWEET! That Shin G is pure awesomeness. Just got back from my second viewing and got so much more out of it this time around. Love it even more. And I just made arrangements to order an X Plus RIC Shin G from a reliable source off the Facebook X Plus Collectors' Group. Damn good day.

I would think Vader would be so much easier...I mean he pretty much looks the same all the the time. One high end Vader I would think would make collectors feel so complete lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
. You'd think so. Then there are the variances or iconic situations and then of course the brands over time that even become synonymous with particular designs. Even medicom Kubrick has emulated the "Kenner Vader like the reaction figures of late.
Here's a sneak peek at my Vader collection I'm still pulling boxes out of my storage. It's easier in terms of style and in terms of uniformity. And luckily Vader comes only in black or black-ish blue etc
image.jpg

I'm digging the monsterarts 89

20e5857ebdcf78baf606bd0a55f53ceb.jpg

That's a beautiful shot. I love large Sakai models because they are less sculpterly and a little more precise with the small details. His knack for getting the right look is always there no matter the scale (but I will say his 2014 G isn't so great)

I still think Sakai's 2014 "flaws" were less about not being able to nail the sculpt and more about giving the design a Toho Godzilla aesthetic, many sculptures out of Japan seemed to do this. He's nailed every Toho design he's taken on.

My favorite part of Sakai's sculpts is how he sculpts like suits, X-Plus and other companies idealize the designs as if Godzilla were a real creature or something, but the suit qualities are part of the appeal of designs for me.

My favorite part of Sakai's sculpts is how he sculpts like suits, X-Plus and other companies idealize the designs as if Godzilla were a real creature or something, but the suit qualities are part of the appeal of designs for me.
:goodpost: :exactly: :lecture :hi5:

I still think Sakai's 2014 "flaws" were less about not being able to nail the sculpt and more about giving the design a Toho Godzilla aesthetic, many sculptures out of Japan seemed to do this. He's nailed every Toho design he's taken on.

I don't know about the Toho aesthetic theory. Even his own millennium design doesn't have a Toho aesthetic. The line isn't emulating the Toho aesthetic-- it's about screen accurate or even illustration sculpts which he is known for. Like the poster illustration of Godzilla from the dorsal view based on a toy he supervized -He doesn't deviate by trying to emulate a "style". He is known for his accuracy and ability to capture the character itself. I honestly think he just couldn't get 2014. Because if it were a toho style , it would at least be a practical looking suit proportionally, but an actor would have difficulty based on the location of the arms. It's just minor details he got wrong like the shape of the head and the obvious wrists and oversized hands. He is probably subconsciously used to the fact that all Godzillas including his own very non Togo design have wrists. And 2014 has crocodilian like arms-- but that's just my take

Since the release of 2014s design, everything from Japan took liberties with the costume. I don't know how much if it was on purpose or not but the Japanese versions looked even better than the actual film version to my liking. Much like how the 2000 concept became the version that the toy companies marketed around and not so much the film version.

Then again I haven't seen a single godzilla 2014 item that looks very accurate to the film version. Everything looks more streamlined and aggressive than the film version.

Since the release of 2014s design, everything from Japan took liberties with the costume. I don't know how much if it was on purpose or not but the Japanese versions looked even better than the actual film version to my liking. Much like how the 2000 concept became the version that the toy companies marketed around and not so much the film version.

Then again I haven't seen a single godzilla 2014 item that looks very accurate to the film version. Everything looks more streamlined and aggressive than the film version.

Actually there's more suit-style millennium godzillas around than concept. Not one marmit or sofubi type vinyl is in the millennium concept style. there are a couple of high grades, an xplus, sh monsters, and banprestoS in this style, no hypers in the concept style. But there are numerous g 2000 style godzillas both from the millennium film as well as the megaguirasu film.

Even with 89/91 Godzilla many versions can be considered stylized, but i believe it has more to do with the attempt to capture the right look. Neca had a horrible time trying the get 84 right. They barely got the look of 94/95 and the only one almost right is 2014. Even their GMK is off but I'd hardly say it's a particular style they are doing anymore than saying the Japanese do a manga style which I've heard time and again re Medicom figures. I chalk it up to the pop culture...for example I've noticed lately that kids who grew up on Japanese anime tend to sketch using anime shorthand vs the guys who grew up on marvel and DC comics who sketch differently. The inflUncles are subconscious tend to ctoward me out because it is what helped shape that artists style...even when he or she is inaccurate.

I even think xplus got 2014 better than Sakai...which is rare.

In the process of posing my Neca 24" Hulk it dawned on me that Godzilla is way overdue for its own 24"-26" action figure.

You know, an SHMA at 24"-26".

There aren't 2 characters more deserving of that size and 1 of them is now complete.

Neca is the closest with their 24" head to tail 2014 and no JAKKS doesn't count, that's a low quality statue at best.

Technically JAKKS has filled the void of a large scale Godzilla on a mass, affordable scale. Other companies have gone big but for a huge price or in limited supply. I'd love to own the Gigantic '54 and an '84 and Shin Godzilla to go with it, just cost too much and i can get multiple Godzillas for the cost of one.

You know, I just pulled out the measuring tape after reading that the X-Plus Shin is only 10" high... I've got the Banpresto, which is 9" already, so I've essentially pre-ordered another Shin that's a different (some say inferior) sculpt - only 1" taller. :rolleyes2

:lol

It's almost too tiny to call X-Plus.

Actually there's more suit-style millennium godzillas around than concept. Not one marmit or sofubi type vinyl is in the millennium concept style. there are a couple of high grades, an xplus, sh monsters, and banprestoS in this style, no hypers in the concept style. But there are numerous g 2000 style godzillas both from the millennium film as well as the megaguirasu film.

Even with 89/91 Godzilla many versions can be considered stylized, but i believe it has more to do with the attempt to capture the right look. Neca had a horrible time trying the get 84 right. They barely got the look of 94/95 and the only one almost right is 2014. Even their GMK is off but I'd hardly say it's a particular style they are doing anymore than saying the Japanese do a manga style which I've heard time and again re Medicom figures. I chalk it up to the pop culture...for example I've noticed lately that kids who grew up on Japanese anime tend to sketch using anime shorthand vs the guys who grew up on marvel and DC comics who sketch differently. The inflUncles are subconscious tend to ctoward me out because it is what helped shape that artists style...even when he or she is inaccurate.

I even think xplus got 2014 better than Sakai...which is rare.
Well the SD or super stylized figures aside, I feel like I've seen more of 2000 figures or kits in the concept or maquette style. As you mentioned the banpresto, the monsterarts, the gigantic x-plus, most of the kits I've seen, etc.

But with NECA it's not so much as a stylized take on the character as it is just basic failure to nail a sculpt. Nevis figures aren't bad for their price (to a degree) but saying they might have taken an artistic or stylistic approaches giving too much credit.

The x-plus gigantic burning godzilla is stylish. I think their standard 30cm 89 and 92 are just misses, not intentionally stylish. The new sakai 92 is a movie replica.

As far as Shin goes, the banpresto looks great. I do think the head on the x-plus is more accurate but the body might be more traditional Toho-esque. He looks more stocky like the traditional look. Either way both look damn good to my eye.

Back