Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's just a lot of times that being a dad is awesome. I have a specific memory of being 5 years old in 1979 and stumbling across a Shogun Warriors Godzilla in a K-Mart one weekend afternoon and marveling at it. The flying fist, the fire tongue thing that you could make stick out. I never took it home but boy did I covet it. :)

Fast forward 35 years and here is my son, turning 5 in January at a Toys R Us last night. He spent a good 10 minutes with the new Godzilla pushing its back down to make the giant blue fire breath shoot out. He so wanted it just like I did back in the day, and like me he went home empty handed (I don't do $35 TRU impulse purchases.) But he is SO getting it for Christmas this year. :rock

866e7664e30c1d8c5e32acd81ea16f0d.jpg

b0779f300e22965acff44956c062984a.jpg

bd59c514f2ccf0ebc70c043ab3c608bd.jpg

2b762a5f9e58d8a6d7b1ed3fad7eb9d1.jpg

Its supposed to be 30cm but it's really 28 correct?

If you are referring to the Sakai 89, it is about 28.5cm. He is tilted slightly forward, so maybe you could push it to 29cm. It has nearly identical proportions to the current X-Plus 89 minus the oversized head. It really doesn't matter if the figure comes in at exactly 30cm, because if you are a purist, all the figures are out of SCALE with respect to each other.

The Godzillas from the 60s and 70s were for the most part 150ft. Godzillas in the 90s were 300-400ft. Godzilla's size bounced all over the place. A 150ft Godzilla in the same scale as a 300ft Godzilla would only be half as tall. Take Minilla for example. Why didn't they make him 30cm tall instead of 15cm or whatever he is? They wanted him to be in scale with the 68. But 30cm isn't a scale. It's a size. They aren't being consistent. Sure, I guess it's fun to see a line of Godzillas all exactly the same size, but that doesn't make it correct. Maybe it would be just as fun to see a 15cm 68 next to a 30cm 92 so that we have a proper frame of reference for historical size.

What I'm trying to say, is that 1cm is no reason for anyone to balk at getting this. You'll be missing out. Sakai's KITS go for $400 and up Japanese retail. You're lucky to get something of this quality at the price it's being offered at.

Sakai's work is worth it at any size.

I'm glad that companies don't worry too much about scaling one Godzilla to another in a line, '54 would be one of the smallest and he deserves not to be puny against his brothers.

There's just a lot of times that being a dad is awesome. I have a specific memory of being 5 years old in 1979 and stumbling across a Shogun Warriors Godzilla in a K-Mart one weekend afternoon and marveling at it. The flying fist, the fire tongue thing that you could make stick out. I never took it home but boy did I covet it. :)

Fast forward 35 years and here is my son, turning 5 in January at a Toys R Us last night. He spent a good 10 minutes with the new Godzilla pushing its back down to make the giant blue fire breath shoot out. He so wanted it just like I did back in the day, and like me he went home empty handed (I don't do $35 TRU impulse purchases.) But he is SO getting it for Christmas this year. :rock

Same here with the Shoguns, had them all (lost/broke them all), my mom had no will power. :lol

Great pic Khev. :rock

If you are referring to the Sakai 89, it is about 28.5cm. He is tilted slightly forward, so maybe you could push it to 29cm. It has nearly identical proportions to the current X-Plus 89 minus the oversized head. It really doesn't matter if the figure comes in at exactly 30cm, because if you are a purist, all the figures are out of SCALE with respect to each other.

The Godzillas from the 60s and 70s were for the most part 150ft. Godzillas in the 90s were 300-400ft. Godzilla's size bounced all over the place. A 150ft Godzilla in the same scale as a 300ft Godzilla would only be half as tall. Take Minilla for example. Why didn't they make him 30cm tall instead of 15cm or whatever he is? They wanted him to be in scale with the 68. But 30cm isn't a scale. It's a size. They aren't being consistent. Sure, I guess it's fun to see a line of Godzillas all exactly the same size, but that doesn't make it correct. Maybe it would be just as fun to see a 15cm 68 next to a 30cm 92 so that we have a proper frame of reference for historical size.

What I'm trying to say, is that 1cm is no reason for anyone to balk at getting this. You'll be missing out. Sakai's KITS go for $400 and up Japanese retail. You're lucky to get something of this quality at the price it's being offered at.

Sakai's work is worth it at any size.

I'm glad that companies don't worry too much about scaling one Godzilla to another in a line, '54 would be one of the smallest and he deserves not to be puny against his brothers.

I agree with you 2, not going to stress about the 1cm shrink.

From Kaiju addcts:

"This is the part I find confusing. Apparently the original Sakai sculpt is a full 30cm. They used the original master mold to make a wax cast, which was then used to create a new mold for X-Plus to use. And somewhere along the line there was some shrinkage, leaving us with a final product of only 28cm."

Screw it, I just ordered it at AmiAmi.

My wife is going to be so pissed. :lol

Last edited:
I agree with you 2, not going to stress about the 1cm shrink.

From Kaiju addcts:

"This is the part I find confusing. Apparently the original Sakai sculpt is a full 30cm. They used the original master mold to make a wax cast, which was then used to create a new mold for X-Plus to use. And somewhere along the line there was some shrinkage, leaving us with a final product of only 28cm."

Screw it, I just ordered it at AmiAmi.

My wife is going to be so pissed. :lol

What Kaiju Addicts said has to be wrong. The Sakai 89 in the picture next to the X-Plus 89 is an original Sakai 89 resin model kit that I built and painted. It cost me $600. It is not 30cm tall. It is 28.5cm. I doubt his original sculpture was 30cm tall. There couldn't have been that much shrinkage in producing the original resin model kits from the original sculpture. There may have been some shrinkage in going to the vinyl for X-Plus from the wax cast, but it's listed at 28cm. They probably just didn't want to say 28.5. I will know for sure when I get my vinyl. I will put it up to my resin model and see if there is any difference.

Anyway, 28cm, 28.5cm, 30cm.........doesn't matter. This 89 rocks. So wanted to get his 30cm 91 too. Maybe in vinyl from X-Plus someday? Won't care then either if it's 28 or 30.

Hi Everyone, This is my second post on the forums and like my NECA 1/4 Scale 1989 Batman this one concerns the 24"HTT Godzilla...mines has a great paint application and a working roar but his hand came butchered up...having his right hand index cut and painted with the nail application to hide the mistake by the factory and I didn't see it until I took the figure out of the box since the way it's boxed that was hard to tell:slap.

Is there anyone here that has a defective one that is willing to trade the hand before he or she sends it back for replacement? I will pay for shipping and handling to swap the right hand of mines withe one being return..I know this is lame but NECA doesn't help much on returns/replacement and the whole customer service part since they claim only to be a "whole seller" only.

So if anyone can help even if it's to refer me to a site or place where I can get some help on this I would really appreciate it a lot...Thanks in advance ^_^

Tell her not to worry and that it's only $218. I'm sure that will quell her rage.

I told her it was supposed to really be 27,000 yen, I saved 15%, she should be congratulating me. :lol

Tell her it's an encrypted charge disguised as a Godzilla purchase, but really it's her anniversary present :lol

I forgot her birthday this year, she had to call me at the office to remind me. :slap

But I like your suggestion nonetheless. :lol

I'm not sure I fully understand you here. That insert picture of the head looks like the 20cm kit produced back in the early 90's. I have that kit which became a Kaiyodo vinyl kit. I also have the 20cm appearance kit coming out of the volcano, and of course, I have the 30cm kit in the comparison shots I took. None of these kits are the same. They are all original sculpts with the 30cm being the most recent. The X-Plus figure coming out seems to be an exact reproduction of the 30cm figure, unaltered in any way. So what do you mean about being resized?
My mistake....when u said its a shame most were 20 cm and wouldn't fit into the 25 cm range, For some reason I got it in my head re the larger series which was 30 cm and thought you were implying the 89 Sakai was 5 cm smaller ( than the 30 cm series)...

Back