Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 2014 is going to be just as photogenic.

Shma needs to give me me a gmk, 84, and 89.

I want the 2000 but im thinking of getting it at NYCC or something. Hopefully prices go down.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My son saw Godzilla swimming in SOS and.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 243
The SHMA is a great-looking figure, but boy do the inaccuracies stand out when it's viewed head-on. Neither this reveal nor the NECA 24" HTT reveal impressed me as much as I thought they would.

But we have even more toy news! Bandai is bringing back their 6" Movie Monster Series with G14 and the Muto!

10435944_318323998315933_361388977708911468_n.jpg

Here's what weirds me out: HobbyLink Japan has preorders for the following Bandai G14 products:

"Movie Monster Series Godzilla 2014"
"Movie Monster Series Muto"
"Godzilla 2014"
"DX Godzilla 2014"
"Godzilla 2014 City Diorama"

Cool that we're getting a DX (we at least have a rough idea of what that will entail -- likely 12" size and possible electronics) and a city dio, but what's the difference between the MMS Godzilla 2014 and the listing for just Godzilla 2014? The MMS is about $12USD and the other is $17 so I'm assuming it'll be an 8" figure? Or maybe something else? Anybody have magazine clippings that can hint at what this might be?

In any case, I went ahead and reserved everything on HLJ except the dio and will cancel/add depending on what we learn when they're revealed. I might recommend other people do the same because AmiAmi has already sold out on MMS preorders.

That muto looks pretty *****y. I thought that was the one from the box set released already.

I agree with the people on tohokingdom about shma 2014. They made some good points. The NECA nails the look of the calmer, noble-like Godzilla. The Monsterarts truly captures the aggressive, enraged look. The Neca doesnt quite look right "roaring" and shma doesn't quite look right with his calmer closed-mouth look. But aside from his feet and some neck area, I dont see much inaccuracies with him.

And the feet look muuuuch better.

I can appreciate making him look more ferocious (and I really love that they took liberties on his feet, both with the SHMA and standard MMS 6" figure), but even with the open mouth he looks odd to me. This shot in particular:

attachment.php

His face just looks like off. That nobility the movie design has goes a long way for me, longer than savagery. And even the NECA doesn't quite get it right. If only the Jakks figure were a high-end collectible. :lol

The whole texture of his back is just generica on the SHMA and doesn't really capture the movie, the armor plating looking just gets lost and is replaced by a generic rocky texture and even the top of his neck and head doesn't quite retain the armored look, which to me is a distinct part of the 2014 design from other Godzilla's, it's like Sakai tried to make him look more like a Toho Godzilla.

I can appreciate making him look more ferocious (and I really love that they took liberties on his feet, both with the SHMA and standard MMS 6" figure), but even with the open mouth he looks odd to me. This shot in particular:

attachment.php

His face just looks like off. That nobility the movie design has goes a long way for me, longer than savagery. And even the NECA doesn't quite get it right. If only the Jakks figure were a high-end collectible. :lol

I think the posture sets it off a bit with the bent knees and such. The pic reminds me of the trailer shot with the door closing on him.

The whole texture of his back is just generica on the SHMA and doesn't really capture the movie, the armor plating looking just gets lost and is replaced by a generic rocky texture and even the top of his neck and head doesn't quite retain the armored look, which to me is a distinct part of the 2014 design from other Godzilla's, it's like Sakai tried to make him look more like a Toho Godzilla.

I could see that. Sometjing does scream more traditional in the face but I dont know what. Maybe because he seems like he actually has a back to his head and it doesnt just seem to come out of his neck. ..

He seems to have a Millennium thing going on with the open mouth. That's what it is. His snout is supposed to be more square-ish, narrower for the length and then wider when it reaches the edge of his mouth:

1399350644160.jpg

godzilla2014-courage-tv-spot-new-footage-trailer.png

Even the car commercial serves as good reference.

Godzilla-dans-la-nouvelle-pub-de-Fiat.jpg

Here, his snout seems to significantly and consistently increase in width as it goes back, making him look less like an eagle or bear and more like a wide-mouthed lizard. Like the '99 or '62.

g2014-7.jpg

This might seem like nitpicking, but it makes a world of difference here. Sakai definitely Toho'd this Godzilla. Which, again, is cool for the feet but it also got rid of what made the Legendary Goji unique. I wouldn't really go to him for movie accuracy, seeing as every time he sculpts a '99 he sculpts his version. Fine, but the companies shouldn't go passing it off as what we saw on-film. Someone else would've been better to tackle this project.

Last edited:
Thing is, overseas, Sakai's vision might be more ideal than the actual design. Bandai has a long history working with him, if they're using his concept designs in this line I'm sure they're not just letting him indulge for the hell of it. He's also a great sculptor, if he wants to be accurate he can be spot on so I have to believe this was an aesthetic choice and maybe the success of Godzilla 2000 has SHMA thinking they don't have to cater to film accuracy all the time. Plus I'm sure they know NECA was doing a similar figure in the same scale, maybe there was an arrangement that NECA was allowed to do the spot on version and to not be in direct competition, SHMA would take liberties.

I have no need for any Zilla is my collection. Monsterarts 2K is probably their best overall figure, followed closely by Gigan and Kiryu.

I really like the MonsterArts Godzilla 2014. He looks pretty badass.

I also heard back from Bluefin about my Godzilla 2K with the messed up hand that I bought at the convention from them. They said that they're trying to get me a replacement from Bandai, but it could take up to 8 weeks, so we'll see what happens, I guess.

Thing is, overseas, Sakai's vision might be more ideal than the actual design. Bandai has a long history working with him, if they're using his concept designs in this line I'm sure they're not just letting him indulge for the hell of it. He's also a great sculptor, if he wants to be accurate he can be spot on so I have to believe this was an aesthetic choice and maybe the success of Godzilla 2000 has SHMA thinking they don't have to cater to film accuracy all the time. Plus I'm sure they know NECA was doing a similar figure in the same scale, maybe there was an arrangement that NECA was allowed to do the spot on version and to not be in direct competition, SHMA would take liberties.

:goodpost:

Imho, the fact it is not screen accurate is a good thing for the figure.. on film, some aspects of the figure design (which were highlighted and commented on, with the Bandai release) do not matter.. but in a figure on your shelf, those shortcomings: dog face and cankles, become more obvious.

He seems to have a Millennium thing going on with the open mouth. That's what it is. His snout is supposed to be more square-ish, narrower for the length and then wider when it reaches the edge of his mouth:

1399350644160.jpg

godzilla2014-courage-tv-spot-new-footage-trailer.png

Even the car commercial serves as good reference.

Godzilla-dans-la-nouvelle-pub-de-Fiat.jpg

Here, his snout seems to significantly and consistently increase in width as it goes back, making him look less like an eagle or bear and more like a wide-mouthed lizard. Like the '99 or '62.

g2014-7.jpg

This might seem like nitpicking, but it makes a world of difference here. Sakai definitely Toho'd this Godzilla. Which, again, is cool for the feet but it also got rid of what made the Legendary Goji unique. I wouldn't really go to him for movie accuracy, seeing as every time he sculpts a '99 he sculpts his version. Fine, but the companies shouldn't go passing it off as what we saw on-film. Someone else would've been better to tackle this project.

I see it. Interesting. Looking up at my Neca version I like it for accuracy. The SHMA to me is just a more complete design in my book. I think it'll look better with the other godzilla figures in other words. Cant wait to see in-hand photos.

Outside of the accuracy debate, there are joints on the SHMA I just don't care for, his hips look weird and NECA's ball joint hip style lets you arrang the leg to overcome the joint better, and I also don't like the body joint that runs under his arm pits, it looks awkward.

This weird. I'm usually to overly picky fan but I really like the Monster-Arts 2014 Godzilla and the Neca 24" Godzilla. I'm going to get both and I'm into all of the differences on the Monster-Arts. To me, he's a cool a$$ take on the new movie. This will also be the first large scale Neca figure purchase I make. Awesome size, screen accurate, better paint apps and he roars. Maybe I'm just happy to not be paying Hot Toys prices for figures that I think look awesome.

Back