Go Hero + Executive Replicas Lost in Space

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm Go Hero, I want to hear what people think about the price. Ignoring it is foolish.

Demand is a function of price - pretty basic economics. In general, as price goes up, demand goes down. What price should they charge? The one that generates the maximum profit. While it's important to take cost into consideration (duh), companies prefer if you believe that they decide what to charge based on something simple, like, it costs me $100 to make this and I want to make $20 in profit. That's not the case, or at least not if they are smart. Prices should obviously cover cost, but the amount of profit is entirely dependent on what the market is willing to pay. If it costs me $100 to make a figure and you're willing to pay $300, I shouldn't charge $200. If I do, what happens is what we see with the secondary market - someone else buys them up at $200 and sells them for $300 on ebay. Hot Toys saw enough of those profits getting lost, and are slowly raising their prices, not because they're costs are jumping, but because they are trying to find that perfect place where what they charge is exactly what the right number of people are willing to pay - maximizing their profit.

But getting this right means being willing to listen to the market and figure out whether those saying it's too much are merely the vocal minority, or if you have a real problem. If they are merely the minority, you should still be polite, especially when selling low run figures (every sale counts), and being polite doesn't cost you anything. Don't get defensive, don't get argumentative - these things do you no good. And if it turns out that it's not just a minority, you need to rethink what you're doing, or you could end up with a lot of figures you lose money on.

It was the best of times...it was the worst of times.:(

Michael I think you are right on the mark with your comments. As a longtime fan of Lost in Space I should be super excited to hear about this line of figures. Unfortunately, these figures appear to look sub par at best...especially the head sculpts that look nothing like Guy Williams or Bill Mumy. Go Hero has already produced horrid reproductions of two gorgeous women in Eartha Kitt and Julie Newmar. I'm frightened to see what June Lockhart, Marta Kristen, and Angela Cartwright end up looking like.

Sorry Go Hero but you are Gone with these asking prices versus the product being offered.

I have these on pre-order, including Will. I'm not happy with what I'm seeing so far, and it's not in line with the rest of the market. I like the folks at Go Hero, but they aren't going to like my review if that figure is what shows up at my door. I wish that were not the case, but it is what it is.

Its very simple. Its a business and the fans don't matter.
SFM (now their sister company Executive Replicas) was unable to release the Lost in Space figures in a timely manner. Many factors were in that inability but, bottom line, they failed the fans. Promised in 2008 with SRPs of $49.99 and $59.99 they never completed their announced figures.
Major West, built the same as the previous releases, took years to come out and when it did was FAR above the $60 stated price.
SFM switched the license to ER and then joined with GO Hero and Phicen. Two companies already known for crappy sculpts. They abandoned SFM's sculptor (and who I understand was not paid) and went to "high end" figures. The Verda looks like the same one I saw and examined on different occasions from SFM. I will presume they are using a Phicen body now but if its a seamless one that is simply as stupid as it is unnecessary.
All SFM had to do was secure a steady stream of good bodies (which there are a plethora of out there) and affordable figures should have been on their way to the fans.

Very disappointed in what could have, and should have, been must have figures from one of my all-time favorite shows. I hate to have to pass on these figures, but sub par seems to be the running theme from this company.

13528503_10154022797484823_4598240989128548841_o.jpg

The head is pretty lame, but so is the rest of the line. This is actually better than the other sculpts, so that tells you something. Truly not worth the asking price (of $175). At these prices these figures need to be much better quality all around.

And those hands. What's with those hands?! One looks like a Barbie hand and the other looks like an undersized GI Joe Kung Fu grip hand.

Sean

I think I'm going to get out one of my Lennier figures just to make me feel better. :(

At least the outfit looks somewhat like the first figures that were released. Now if I can only get Snyderman to sell me a set of the original prototype sculpts I'll be satisfied with these. There is a better chance of getting licensed Zardoz figures than anyone else EVER doing original LIS.

Believe it or not, this looks better than ER/GH/PHICEN's recent announcements (i.e. 1:6 Eartha Kitt, 1:6 Julie Newmar, 1:6 Steve Reeves).

The head sculpt to me looks OK. Could it be better? Yes, but again as is it looks better than the recently announced offerings.

ER's 1:6 LIS license has been much maligned for the past few years because quite frankly what they did produce in any numbers (the 1:6 figures) looked like . . . WELL . . . "underwhelming" regardless of how much one tries to defend/justify it.

The only reason we're seeing whatever is left of this now is due to ER's/GH's business arrangement with PHICEN from a purely manufacturing perspective because ER/GH couldn't necessarily get their 1:6 products manufacturer given their limitations and reputation.

As for the ER's/GH's products being overpriced, one can debate and discuss that beyond infinity, but the fact . . . it is not necessarily worth it in terms of the final in hand value based on what ER/GH/PHICEN is pricing for them (IMHO).

If ER/GH/PHICEN is receptive to criticisms/feedback (of which I doubt), then so be it. They let reap what they sow in 1:6 or not.

GH + ER: Not so much lost in space as buried under a pile of crappy figures.

The subject matter might be retro, but do the figures have to match so often? It wouldn't be so much of an issue if they weren't charging high end prices.

As someone who has purchased all the figures in this line thus far, I would rather see them finish it out in a style consistent with the figures already released than to crank up the quality and redo the five figures they already produced. For those of us who were old enough to have watched LIS when it first ran on TV the cheesing aspect of these figures lends a certain nostalgia. My biggest complaint with these is they had great prototype sculpts for all the cast, but ditched them. Having seen the original sculpts for all of these the portraits were as good as, or better than recent SS likenesses like Snake and any Harrison Ford they try to sculpt. Cheap factory production caused the heads to end up looking like something you would expect from Hasbro, with better likenesses. At the end of the day I am not thrilled with the price but this is likely the only chance at getting the rest of the LIS crew. Having a little inside information into the early stages of this line, Will was always going to be a problem to get out because he required a special size body that wasn't a common stock item. Could it have been better? Yes, but at least something is coming out I can work with, without having to hire a custom seamstress.

Any mention of the "Robot" being included in this series? That would definitely be one figure I'd buy!

Moebius Models makes a 1/6 scale LIS robot kit that is amazing and under $50. You can see it here. It's not a difficult kit and you can get a simple lighting kit for it. A much better route than the inevitable $400 ER/GH robot.

Sean

Back