Statue Gimli Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered the exclusive earlier tonight (love my iPhone). Used some reward points I didn't even know I had. :D

furystorm, I think you will regret it if you don't stick with this line. You have been with the rest of us in looking forward to each new piece from the beginning.

Next up Arwen, hopefully by end of May. Then maybe Boromir and a bad guy for SDCC.

I like to document my first impression so as time goes by I can see how my impressions have changed. :lol

My take on some of the comments made so far...

1.) The ladder does look a little out of place but it wouldn't bother me.
2.) I have no problem with the facial expression. It looks like he's focused on the kill.
3.) Now that's an exclusive. It isn't a necessity but it adds a lot to the base.
4.) The detail seems more prominent on this Gimli than the SSW Gimli which has more subtle detail.
5.) I've mentioned this before but the chainmail on this statue looks like actual chainmail while the chainmail on the SSW Gimli is more accurate to the costume worn by JRD which doesn't look like chainmail.
6.) Someone tell me again why I'm not collecting this line? :slap :lol

1]. Agreed. Though I would still prefer it be a bit longer, extending downward as seen in Bill's photoshopped pic.
2]. Ditto
3]. Ditto again.
4]. If by more prominent you mean more detailed....I agree. I'd also say it's more than just that. The sculpt is much more complex consisting of many more individually sculpted components.
5]. You are on a role today Frank. Once gain I agree with you. The costuming JRD wore in the movies looks like a shiny fabric simultated to look like chainmail....most likely to keep the weight of the costume manageable. And yes, I think the SSW Gimli more accurately captures that look. The chainmail on the SS version appear to me to look more like real chainmail and less like the simultated chainmail worn by JRD.
6]. There are a myriad of reasons as to why you are not collecting this line, any one of which being entirely valid. A]. you've stopped taking your medication B]. senility is setting in early C]. you've temporarily lost your mind.....and the list goes on. :lol

Last edited:
A quick note about the orc corpse. The intent of the design was that he was killed in the previous battle for Moria, and has been lying about awhile. Hence the mummified aspect, withered eye sockets, open nasal cavity, desiccated flesh. Even the axe was designed around one of the background axes seen briefly in the establishing shot of the Moria interior. Thought I'd let you in on the design process.

OK Tim, there is a slight resemblance between your sculpted axe and the Dwarf axes seen in the opening Mines of Moria scenes. :monkey3 :lol

LotR_FotR2430.jpg
orc_base_by_sculptortim-d3c82vu.jpg

The only reason you ordered before me is because I was on top of a locomotive changing a radiator.

:)

1]. Agreed. Though I would still prefer it be a bit longer, extending downward as seen in Bill's photoshopped pic.

I saw that pic and I agree.

4]. If by more prominent you mean more detailed....I agree. I'd also say it's more than just that. The sculpt is much more complex consisting of many more individually sculpted components.

Looking at Sideshow's pics of Gimli the details are highly visible. On the Weta one, they are there but you gotta look closely for them.

6]. There are a myriad of reasons as to why you are not collecting this line, any one of which being entirely valid. A]. you've stopped taking your medication B]. senility is setting in early C]. you've temporarily lost your mind.....and the list goes on. :lol

D]. All of the above

The only reason you ordered before me is because I was on top of a locomotive changing a radiator.

I was just messing with you. I was planning to wait for the low quantity bar, my usual practice with NRD items. But, I couldn't help myself. Gimli looks awesome. You and I both are exclusive in this line.

Although I could also not help ordering Cobra Commander. :lol

I was just messing with you. I was planning to wait for the low quantity bar, my usual practice with NRD items. But, I couldn't help myself. Gimli looks awesome. You and I both are exclusive in this line.

Although I could also not help ordering Cobra Commander. :lol

That's actually a pretty good strategy....it pretty well guarantee's you'll get a low number. :monkey3

That's actually a pretty good strategy....it pretty well guarantee's you'll get a low number. :monkey3

Just wondering about this low number issue guys.

Sure a low number is nice to have, but apart from knowing it was one of the early pieces produced is there any real benefit?

Are the paint apps any better or anything?

Or would it be better to get a number that's not too low, as I would have though, it takes some practice to really get into the swing of doing a good job paint job.

What do you think?

:duff
Bill

If I get a low # thats great. If not thats alright too. Sure, I want a low number but in the end I order the piece because I like the piece. The number is always the cherry on top.

If I get a low # thats great. If not thats alright too. Sure, I want a low number but in the end I order the piece because I like the piece. The number is always the cherry on top.

Yeah Josh, it is considered nice to get a piece that has a low number. But what I'm asking is: are there any benefits in the low numbers...like better paint or better quality in general?

I would have thought that numbers after the time the painters got into the swing of the piece, may be better versions of the piece to get, and not the lower numbered versions.

Would there be any logic in that, do you think?

Bill

Just wondering about this low number issue guys.

Sure a low number is nice to have, but apart from knowing it was one of the early pieces produced is there any real benefit?

Are the paint apps any better or anything?

Or would it be better to get a number that's not too low, as I would have though, it takes some practice to really get into the swing of doing a good job paint job.

What do you think?

Bill

Low numbers are great for bragging rights , but that's about it. I've had both extremely high numbers with great paint app's and extremely low numbers with so-so paint app's. The only things I can tell that impact the paint app's are how drunk or how close to heat exhaustion the factories workers are while painting these statues. :lecture

Low numbers are great for bragging rights , but that's about it. I've had both extremely high numbers with great paint app's and extremely low numbers with so-so paint app's. The only things I can tell that impact the paint app's are how drunk or how close to heat exhaustion the factories workers are while painting these statues. :lecture

Or if it is a Monday after a good weekend of drinking!!!!!!

Bill

Like Woodsy said the only benefit is to be able to say I've got this. Because they're all painted at the same time and assigned a number at the end.

Like Woodsy said the only benefit is to be able to say I've got this. Because they're all painted at the same time and assigned a number at the end.

Don't let him trick, if he doesn't get a low number he'll send it back. J/K

Back