Ghostbusters reboot with all-female leads

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't bothered to look at the replies as I was in London today.

This is some good marketing I think.

That is some good marketing. Seems like it's for the old movie, though, rather than the new one. Isn't the marshmallow man just a balloon in this one? It is noteworthy how much of the marketing doesn't have any of the new Ghostbusters in it.

SnakeDoc

That is some good marketing. Seems like it's for the old movie, though, rather than the new one. Isn't the marshmallow man just a balloon in this one? It is noteworthy how much of the marketing doesn't have any of the new Ghostbusters in it.

SnakeDoc

I don't want to spoil it but yes and he does have a scene. There are other posters with the girls on them and the screens are all full up with them doing their thing.

The jokes on haters are starting to roll in. One on The Daily Show last night and this one:

https://www.facebook.com/ScreenJunkies/videos/10154290683662403/

That was a truly hilarious article. Thanks. A world with 90% women -- and the 10% of men in internment camps for stud-work and manual labor -- would obviously be a conflict-free lesbian Utopia. Heh.

SnakeDoc
Made me think of this, from one of the great feminist thinkers of our age *language*

Not sure what folks are not getting here or they just skipping over things as it suites their point of view but I will reiterate.
This Ghostbusters movie was hated on before any trailers or photos or footage. Why does this not compute? Once again that's BEFORE ANY FOOTAGE. That's hating before seeing anything!! That is sad by any reasonable standards and defending that position which many here are is even sadder.

Yes other movies have been hated on but never to this insane level. Denying that simply makes you sound like an willful idiot or that you lived under a rock.
And I don't have to go on youtube or other sites to prove that. No, all I need to do the prove that is to go to very first page of this thread to see the people here giving the hate at the very notion of a female led ghostbusters. Again, that was BEFORE any footage. I don't care to argue that which already is there for all to see. I am sure that won't stop some trying though.

I will drop this now as it getting boring I am sure for many here as it is me. That and the fact that some people here don't seem to actually understand what sexism is but god love them as they still will carry on talking about it as if they do.

Queue the witty memes.

Who cares if people hated this before seeing anything? What does that matter? I don't like it because its a reboot. That's my reason for not paying to see this movie. I'm not a huge fan of McCarthy because her schtick has gotten old. Leslie Jones is not funny on SNL. There has been enough evidence of who and what was in this movie to make an opinion early on.

If it was a sequel, that's a different story. I didn't know we all had to sit patiently and wait for a final product before making an opinion on something.

You liked it. That's great. It's not a problem for others to have their own reasons for not liking something. whether or not you agree, your opinion or thinking is not right or wrong. It's your opinion. no need to get so defensive over it. We get it.

Who cares if people hated this before seeing anything? What does that matter? I don't like it because its a reboot. That's my reason for not paying to see this movie. I'm not a huge fan of McCarthy because her schtick has gotten old. Leslie Jones is not funny on SNL. There has been enough evidence of who and what was in this movie to make an opinion early on.

If it was a sequel, that's a different story. I didn't know we all had to sit patiently and wait for a final product before making an opinion on something.

You liked it. That's great. It's not a problem for others to have their own reasons for not liking something. whether or not you agree, your opinion or thinking is not right or wrong. It's your opinion. no need to get so defensive over it. We get it.

You are missing my point entirely and I am not saying you are wrong to dislike this movie at all based on it being a reboot or that you don't like the actors in it.

I hated the idea before I saw anything. Because it was a bad idea. Because Feig was the wrong director. And because I supposed they were going to take a franchise beloved by men and boys since the 80s ... and turn it into a half-assed girl-power SJW circle jerk. Then the trailers and publicity-tour came, and indicated I was probably right. Then the movie came out ... and so it was.

That's not 'sad'. It's prescient. I make no apologies.

SnakeDoc

You are missing my point entirely and I am not saying you are wrong to dislike this movie at all based on it being a reboot or that you don't like the actors in it.

I think your problem is you insist to be stuck on what YOU read/saw in the media, that most hate comes from fan boys who are bitter because it is an all female cast. I think that is the SMALLEST of percentages as to why people disliked this movie before and after seeing the trailer. The media saw a way to rally and make headlines by bashing a group of haters, who didn't actually represent the majority... It's because its an all female cast that the media swarmed. And you bought into it and continue to defend it cause you feel we are closed minded and it's actually great.... blah, blah....

Re: Ghostbusters reboot with all-female leads possible.

Eamon, you keep pointing to the first page as if it's nothing but vile filled hatred. There's thirty posts there and maybe five are offensive. The others range from not being interested in a reboot or being more interested in male/female mixed team. That's roughly sixteen percent of the posts being negative. You like proof and that proves eighty-four percent of that page is something other than hate.

How about all funny people?

I have no problems with women being on the team, but I have zero interest in a ghostbuster reboot with all women.

not even the least bit interested.

No one wants this.

Well, chances are it can't be worse than the original.

There is only one Ghostbusters cast. Like the Beatles with John Lennon, once Ramis died it was over for good.

Meh, why not. There is very little chance of any sequel or reboot being good as it is. Might as well do something interesting with it so it's not just a thing that exists, but a novelty.

Reboot sure. That's part of the H'wood strategy these days. GB is too valuable a franchise for the studio to just let sit there and not try to milk. But as with everything it will need a great cast, a talented director, a brilliant script, and the budget to make it all work. I don't see how making it four female ghostbusters suddenly gets everyone to say "wow, that's brilliant and exactly what the franchise needed". Plus I cannot think of four comic female actresses that could pull it off like the original guys. For that matter I can't think of four male comic actors. That's why the casting and story is going to be so important. So until someone gives a synopsis where the idea sounds great, I'll figure this is nothing more than stunt casting or just someone floating the idea to test the waters.

I thought Bridesmaids was hilarious, and I loved The Heat, so, Feig + all female casts isn't really an issue, for me. That said, I don't think Ghostbusters is the right fit. In fact, I think Sony should just call it a day and leave it the **** alone. Ramis is dead, Murray's made it crystal clear that he's not interested, and I doubt that Hudson and Aykroyd can carry a sequel on their own, nor would they want to, if I had to guess; no reboot will ever measure up to the original, whether those wearing the Proton Packs have X or Y chromosomes. Original supernatural comedy with Feig and his girls? Hell yes. Ghostbusters reboot with Feig and his girls? **** no.

I don't see how the cast being all female is any more offensive than having four new male actors playing the old roles. That being said, this falls into the category of totally unnecessary remake. Just go watch the old Ghostbusters. It totally holds up.

This sounds like a bad idea. Do it with maybe one or even two females as ghostbusters, but not the whole team.

The IDW comics got the balance right. Introduce a rival team lead by Chevy Chase. They get shut down. When the GB disappear on a bust they become the new GB until they resurface. Then they become an official b-team with quite a few women on board including Kylie Griffin.

I'm not particularly interested. But if they're going to do it, my first thought is that they should just pack it with the funniest guys and writers they can find, of a new crew taking over. Guys like Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, and Bob Oedenkirk (or Maria Bamford if they want a female) could make for a really hilarious film, even if it has no chance of usurping the original in anyone's mind. Barring that, I say let them do something totally different, maintaining only surface-level similarities to the original. That could be their approach at this point. I don't want to see the old gang back together minus Ramis. Murray once said that GB 2 was much worse than GB 1, and that was only a few years after part 1, with the same creative team involved, so why would folks expect a movie released 25 years after that one with the same crew to be good? And I certainly don't want to see a straight up reboot with new actors portraying those same characters.

Netflix....

The first one is a classic, no need for a reboot.

Besides, I get the distinct feeling Melissa McCarthy would somehow end up in one of the roles, and I don't think anybody wants that.

I think your problem is you insist to be stuck on what YOU read/saw in the media, that most hate comes from fan boys who are bitter because it is an all female cast. I think that is the SMALLEST of percentages as to why people disliked this movie before and after seeing the trailer. The media saw a way to rally and make headlines by bashing a group of haters, who didn't actually represent the majority... It's because its an all female cast that the media swarmed. And you bought into it and continue to defend it cause you feel we are closed minded and it's actually great.... blah, blah....

Eamon, you keep pointing to the first page as if it's nothing but vile filled hatred. There's thirty posts there and maybe five are offensive. The others range from not being interested in a reboot or being more interested in male/female mixed team. That's roughly sixteen percent of the posts being negative. You like proof and that proves eighty-four percent of that page is something other than hate.

Shhhhhhh you're ruining the narrative.

Shhhhhhh you're ruining the narrative.

I'd ask someone to rep these gentlemen but the entertaining back and forth between the commentators here might now actually stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back