GG Collectors Club Guild

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just joined! :D I'm sure the $50 will be well worth it sometime during the year especially with the key lines GG holds. Harry Potter, LOTR, Star Wars, etc etc...it's worth the try in my evil eyes.

DannieDarKo said:
I just joined! :D I'm sure the $50 will be well worth it sometime during the year especially with the key lines GG holds. Harry Potter, LOTR, Star Wars, etc etc...it's worth the try in my evil eyes.

That's me. Regular busts I want I'll get from Bob or Adam like always. However, when SDCC, TF, C4, etc exclusives come out if it gives me a better chance then I'm down for that. Also it might allow me to help someone here so in the end it's worth the $50 bucks.

DannieDarKo said:
To be honest I paid the $50 because you get to have your very own WISHLIST with membership! :google :monkey5

Well, that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Well... as most of you know I am a big GG honk. Have been there since the beginning of the SW mini-bust line back in 2002.

I know I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I said it before and I'll say it again... I think the paid PG is a good idea, and I know GG is aware of the potential pitfalls of a paying Collector's Club. How do I know? Don't ask. I won't tell! :D Whether they can avoid falling in those pitfalls is another issue entirely!

As far as keeping scalpers away... I think it will help. It's not gonna solve it. Nothing - and I mean NOTHING - will ever completely solve that problem. There is money to be made in scalping collectibles, and scalpers (or "flippers") will always flock to the $$$$. However, I think the $50 will keep the "casual" scalper away. The guy who collects but likes to get an "extra or two" to "trade" down the line. A trade which inevitably ends up on ebay. And it will keep people from signing up 5, 10 or 20 times with different e-mails (which I'm pretty sure was happening also.) And it will limit even the largest scalpers from doing their worst. For example, when the Blackhole Stormtrooper bust was released a well-known Los Angeles scalper told me he was paying dozens and dozens of people (co-workers in his scalping empire, friends & family) $200 (plus reimbursement for the bust) for any Blackhole they could get ordered for him. He ended up with 8 busts if I remember correctly (out of the 500 released in the U.S.) Some of that will be curbed with this because it now adds an element of risk for signing up all those people and possibly missing out. Essentially making it less profitable unless a scalper can pass along that cost via even more inflated ebay sales.

Example:

OLD SYSTEM:
Scalper signs up 30 people and gets 8 Blackholes (which is a borderline unbelievably lucky score!) He sells each for an average of $400 on ebay = $3200. Minus $265 ($200 for reward and $65 for bust reimbursement) = $135 profit per bust. Total of $1080 minus ebay/paypal fees. So say $1000-ish of profit.

NEW SYSTEM:
Everything stays the same - except there is an additional $1500 to sign everyone up for the paid PG. Scalper ends up losing $500 on the deal if he can only sell them for $400 each. He'd have to sell each Blackhole for $452.50 to just break even! He'd have to sell them for about $590 to make the same money he was making with the old system. I don't think the market would bear that kind of price. Basically, this adds an obstacle for people to be as successful as they have been in scalping these items on such a large scale. Imagine if this guy only got 2 Blackholes instead of 8 with his 30 people! He'd be roasted! So maybe this guy offers his pals only $100 to buy them for him? Would they still try? Try as hard?

Anyways, I think Gentle Giant's gonna make it worth it for everyone over the course of the year. Besides the free gift, I think they may have a trick or two up their sleeves for PG members. Only time will tell if I'm right, but I think they're gonna be darn sure to impress everyone this year who is a member... because if they don't, the thing is gonnna collapse on its head.

GG has been getting hammered on customer service and the way they've handled releases of HTF items from day one. They HAD to do SOMETHING new. They're giving this a try. In a hobby where I spend thousands of dollars a year... I don't mind dropping $50 to see if this will be better than before. And I know I'll at least get some of the $50 back with a tangible free gift (or gifts) of some sort. So if it ends up being $20 or $25... is that too much? Kinda hard for me to argue it's gonna break the bank here at the casa de swabie! Not to mention if that $25 goes toward keeping GG's site from crashing and having a better, more efficient ordering system (which is what they say they are using the money for) I'm all for that. I was there for the Han Solo Stormtrooper server crash party and the Blackhole fiasco. I'd have paid $25 in a heartbeat to not have lived those!

I understand where everyone is coming from with the "I shouldn't have to pay to collect" angle and "collecting shouldn't be stressful/work..." But c'mon... the reality is that getting ultra-limited items from GG, Sideshow or Bowen etc is gonna be rough. Supply and demand. Plain and simple. And these companies are never gonna stop making these items because they keep us all interested and they drive interest in the lines. Speaking with Brant at SDCC last year... he said that Sideshow won't do all inclusives because there still has to be the "thrill of the hunt" to keep people (at least some people) interested. Gentle Giant understands that too. While I personally am not a huge fan of ultra-limited pieces (especially these mini-busts which I'm a completist on) I understand why they exist. So it's unreal in my mind to think a $50 should guarantee me every exclusive for such pieces. I'm not paying my $50 for guaratees. Not realistic.

Separately... I agree with Josh that having the ability to pre-roder convention exclusives is a great idea. Man, it was so nice at SDCC last year just being able to pick up my pre-ordered Shocktrooper bust and not having to wait in line for hours and waste all that precious convention time. PLus, it was no stress. Just like with Sideshow Sith Anakin. A real joy to just "Collect and Go!"

Just my wild thoughts guys. Roast me now! :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
swabie2424 said:
Well... as most of you know I am a big GG honk. Have been there since the beginning of the SW mini-bust line back in 2002.

I know I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I said it before and I'll say it again... I think the paid PG is a good idea, and I know GG is aware of the potential pitfalls of a paying Collector's Club. How do I know? Don't ask. I won't tell! :D Whether they can avoid falling in those pitfalls is another issue entirely!

As far as keeping scalpers away... I think it will help. It's not gonna solve it. Nothing - and I mean NOTHING - will ever completely solve that problem. There is money to be made in scalping collectibles, and scalpers (or "flippers") will always flock to the $$$$. However, I think the $50 will keep the "casual" scalper away. The guy who collects but likes to get an "extra or two" to "trade" down the line. A trade which inevitably ends up on ebay. And it will keep people from signing up 5, 10 or 20 times with different e-mails (which I'm pretty sure was happening also.) And it will limit even the largest scalpers from doing their worst. For example, when the Blackhole Stormtrooper bust was released a well-known Los Angeles scalper told me he was paying dozens and dozens of people (co-workers in his scalping empire, friends & family) $200 (plus reimbursement for the bust) for any Blackhole they could get ordered for him. He ended up with 8 busts if I remember correctly (out of the 500 released in the U.S.) Some of that will be curbed with this because it now adds an element of risk for signing up all those people and possibly missing out. Essentially making it less profitable unless a scalper can pass along that cost via even more inflated ebay sales.

Example:

OLD SYSTEM:
Scalper signs up 30 people and gets 8 Blackholes (which is a borderline unbelievably lucky score!) He sells each for an average of $400 on ebay = $3200. Minus $265 ($200 for reward and $65 for bust reimbursement) = $135 profit per bust. Total of $1080 minus ebay/paypal fees. So say $1000-ish of profit.

NEW SYSTEM:
Everything stays the same - except there is an additional $1500 to sign everyone up for the paid PG. Scalper ends up losing $500 on the deal if he can only sell them for $400 each. He'd have to sell each Blackhole for $452.50 to just break even! He'd have to sell them for about $590 to make the same money he was making with the old system. I don't think the market would bear that kind of price. Basically, this adds an obstacle for people to be as successful as they have been in scalping these items on such a large scale. Imagine if this guy only got 2 Blackholes instead of 8 with his 30 people! He'd be roasted! So maybe this guy offers his pals only $100 to buy them for him? Would they still try? Try as hard?

Anyways, I think Gentle Giant's gonna make it worth it for everyone over the course of the year. Besides the free gift, I think they may have a trick or two up their sleeves for PG members. Only time will tell if I'm right, but I think they're gonna be darn sure to impress everyone this year who is a member... because if they don't, the thing is gonnna collapse on its head.

GG has been getting hammered on customer service and the way they've handled releases of HTF items from day one. They HAD to do SOMETHING new. They're giving this a try. In a hobby where I spend thousands of dollars a year... I don't mind dropping $50 to see if this will be better than before. And I know I'll at least get some of the $50 back with a tangible free gift (or gifts) of some sort. So if it ends up being $20 or $25... is that too much? Kinda hard for me to argue it's gonna break the bank here at the casa de swabie! Not to mention if that $25 goes toward keeping GG's site from crashing and having a better, more efficient ordering system (which is what they say they are using the money for) I'm all for that. I was there for the Han Solo Stormtrooper server crash party and the Blackhole fiasco. I'd have paid $25 in a heartbeat to not have lived those!

I understand where everyone is coming from with the "I shouldn't have to pay to collect" angle and "collecting shouldn't be stressful/work..." But c'mon... the reality is that getting ultra-limited items from GG, Sideshow or Bowen etc is gonna be rough. Supply and demand. Plain and simple. And these companies are never gonna stop making these items because they keep us all interested and they drive interest in the lines. Speaking with Brant at SDCC last year... he said that Sideshow won't do all inclusives because there still has to be the "thrill of the hunt" to keep people (at least some people) interested. Gentle Giant understands that too. While I personally am not a huge fan of ultra-limited pieces (especially these mini-busts which I'm a completist on) I understand why they exist. So it's unreal in my mind to think a $50 should guarantee me every exclusive for such pieces. I'm not paying my $50 for guaratees. Not realistic.

Separately... I agree with Josh that having the ability to pre-roder convention exclusives is a great idea. Man, it was so nice at SDCC last year just being able to pick up my pre-ordered Shocktrooper bust and not having to wait in line for hours and waste all that precious convention time. PLus, it was no stress. Just like with Sideshow Sith Anakin. A real joy to just "Collect and Go!"

Swabie,

Well said. I touched upon a couple of those points but not with the intensity of this post. I agree with everything you said. I am optimistic and I look forward to seeing what GG will do.

swabie2424 said:

Example:

OLD SYSTEM:

NEW SYSTEM:

No roasting for you swabie. Very well said. I agree that in the end it is a very nominal price to pay for all the benefits you get.

I'm a bit of a Gentle Giant nut myself and had no problem paying $50.00 to join the club. I know it will be worth it.

Darklord Dave said:
If they start doing limited Harry Potter stuff like they do the super limited SW, I'll probably have to join. That's the only GG line I collect though.

I'm with you Dave. I only collect the SW mini-busts and not even very many of them (I have three and three on order). I'm not going to join, I think. I guess I'll see how many "exclusives" I miss not being a member, and if it is too many I'll drop the line altogether.

Not that GG would mind, I guess. I'm not the collector they are going after anyway.

swabie2424 said:
Nah, no roasting necessary.

The club makes sense for you. If it makes getting anything easier, a completist should join the club.

I don't think it makes sense for a casual collector like me.

Apart from this club, I think that exclusives are a problem for the industry. I understand why people think they're necessary and how they can add to a line's appeal. On the other hand, they can have the exact opposite effect.

Just by dumb luck, I managed to get a Mara Jade minibust. It was my first GG minibust. Since then I've bought three more. If I hadn't lucked out with Mara, I doubt I'd have bought the others.

When I heard rumors of the Ben Kenobi minibust, my only thought was "I hope it's not a con exclusive". I think it's sad that a company announces a product for retail sale and a potential customer's first thought is "I hope I can get this".

Of course that can apply to nearly any company, SS, MR and GG.

However, there is a difference between Sideshow's exclusive accessories for figures and GG's exclusive figures. It's not like I was worried about getting the Mara with the black top, versus the purple top. If I missed out on the one release, I'd likely never get the character. I don't like that.

That's my 2 cents. Roast me now.:lol

I agree. For the casual collector it might not be the best route. Though for the SW busts and statues that's what I am, but for the LOTR stuff I'll be hardcore. However, there will be the occasional SW bust like the BHST that if I want bad enough could save me or someone. As I've said an unlike SW not as elegantley it protects me somewhat from having to pay $400 for a bust.

It was only through the generosity of a board member (Hi Bob!) that I was able to get a HP Lucius Malfoy at cost. So Swabie's points have brought it home and I'll guess I'll have to join.

First, sorry for such a long post before. Whew!

I totally see that this might not be worth it for the casual collector also. That's why they've kept the free version of the club.

My biggest hope is that people just give this a try (not necessarily by joining) but by not being judge, jury and executioner of it before it's even started. That's all. If a year from now it stinks... I'll say so. (I've been hard on GG in the past - I'm no suck up.) And hopefully GG will listen and change some stuff if needed. Since there is no magic bullet to make every person happy out there... that's all we can ask from these companies - that they listen and try their best to do right by their core customer base. And GG has tried! I give them props for that.

BTW - can you imagine how mad the people who didn't sign up would be if the freebie was like the coolest bust or statue ever? Probably NEVER going to be a statue... but could you imagine?

swabie2424 said:
My biggest hope is that people just give this a try (not necessarily by joining) but by not being judge, jury and executioner of it before it's even started. That's all. If a year from now it stinks... I'll say so. (I've been hard on GG in the past - I'm no suck up.) And hopefully GG will listen and change some stuff if needed. Since there is no magic bullet to make every person happy out there... that's all we can ask from these companies - that they listen and try their best to do right by their core customer base. And GG has tried! I give them props for that.

Right! GG has taken its fair share of shots and they have been justified IMO. However, they are trying to now do something to keep crap from happening. Like you said that's the least we can ask and this is at least a start.

swabie2424 said:
BTW - can you imagine how mad the people who didn't sign up would be if the freebie was like the coolest bust or statue ever? Probably NEVER going to be a statue... but could you imagine?

Sadly, I can, which goes back to my point earlier.

Should I join the club because I'm afraid that'll be the only way to get my ep3 Obi-Wan minibust? I shouldn't have to worry that they'll do something stupid like that, but now I am worried.:google

Back