Getting Burned on Ebay

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the other alternatives?... Besides our own commerce section.

Really... I don't have a clue. All the other alternatives are almost as bad. There are other sites like ebay but without the popularity so your sales won't be quite as high. You could also use Google Checkout instead of Paypal but Ebay won't allow the competition or accept it as a payment option for a listing. Plus people are really stick on the Paypal bandwagon. Buyers love it and for good reason I guess.

i have a serious question... if i do not pay the money, is it possible for paypal to make negative marks on my credit score??
~~~and yes this is complete B.S. i called paypal to day to speak with a customer service rep. to find out why they made the decision as they did. the answer they gave me is because it is "significantly different than the description listed in the auction." i asked them if they read the description and based off of that information and the pictures the buyer submitted how they could come to that conclusion. it is listed as the SS Green Hulk PF. no where in the description is it listed as Mint in box so how can it be "significantly different" if the reason the buyer wants the refund is because "the paint has been altered." no reply.... this whole thing is leaving a sour taste in my mouth and i told them that they have in fact lost a customer for life since they cannot explain their decision in a satisfactory manor. so i went and canceled all payments/automatic subscriptions i have through paypal. it is worth paying with my debit/credit card as my bank seems to be the only people that are looking into my best interests.

i have a serious question... if i do not pay the money, is it possible for paypal to make negative marks on my credit score??
~~~and yes this is complete B.S. i called paypal to day to speak with a customer service rep. to find out why they made the decision as they did. the answer they gave me is because it is "significantly different than the description listed in the auction." i asked them if they read the description and based off of that information and the pictures the buyer submitted how they could come to that conclusion. it is listed as the SS Green Hulk PF. no where in the description is it listed as Mint in box so how can it be "significantly different" if the reason the buyer wants the refund is because "the paint has been altered." no reply.
I have heard they will send collections agencies after you.

Hairlesswookiee, what do you think this guy is seriously trying to do? Buyer's remorse?

~~~and yes this is complete B.S. i called paypal to day to speak with a customer service rep. to find out why they made the decision as they did. the answer they gave me is because it is "significantly different than the description listed in the auction." i asked them if they read the description and based off of that information and the pictures the buyer submitted how they could come to that conclusion. it is listed as the SS Green Hulk PF. no where in the description is it listed as Mint in box so how can it be "significantly different" if the reason the buyer wants the refund is because "the paint has been altered." no reply.... this whole thing is leaving a sour taste in my mouth and i told them that they have in fact lost a customer for life since they cannot explain their decision in a satisfactory manor. so i went and canceled all payments/automatic subscriptions i have through paypal. it is worth paying with my debit/credit card as my bank seems to be the only people that are looking into my best interests.
Yes, I think they sell your debt to a collection agency and then they never stop harassing you. This will definitely have a negative impact on your credit.

Please let us know the name of the buyer so that we can ALL block him/her. SERIOUSLY! :monkey4

I don't even know what I would do in your situation. I am sorry man.

Yes, I think they sell your debt to a collection agency and then they never stop harassing you. This will definitely have a negative impact on your credit.
Please let us know the name of the buyer so that we can ALL block him/her. SERIOUSLY! :monkey4
I don't even know what I would do in your situation. I am sorry man.
i don't understand how they can report me to collections when they aren't a credit card agency. (the paypal card is through another vendor correct??)
i can handle the harassing phone calls as i will be changing my number next month anyways...and paypal will be the last people i will update my number with. the sad thing is that the buyer has 100% positive feedback...i'm thinking he just had buyer's remorse. who the ^^^^^k waits three weeks before opening and inspecting something they paid $800 for??? this is my main argument besides the fact that he never contacted me about it. if i spend more than $20 on something and it arrives i'm inspecting it with a fine tooth comb.

So catch me up here HW. Do you think the buyer definately pulled a switch? IF so, he would have had to have kept the original numbered base so you didn't get suspicious, obviously. And I thought that statues are matched to their bases for fit checks, so some statues don't fit on other bases as well. I would definately check for that.

Also, I thought I remember you saying something about getting some old pics from your old roommate. Were you able to do that? Any sort of evidence to prove a switch was made and discolored paint wasn't there to begin with. Check styrofoam packaging for paint rubs upon return receipt.

If so, personally I would look into getting the law involved. $800 is not a small chunk of change and certainly qualifies for small claims court. The whole out of state may be difficult to work around.

So catch me up here HW. Do you think the buyer definately pulled a switch? IF so, he would have had to have kept the original numbered base so you didn't get suspicious, obviously. And I thought that statues are matched to their bases for fit checks, so some statues don't fit on other bases as well. I would definately check for that.

Also, I thought I remember you saying something about getting some old pics from your old roommate. Were you able to do that? Any sort of evidence to prove a switch was made and discolored paint wasn't there to begin with. Check styrofoam packaging for paint rubs upon return receipt.

If so, personally I would look into getting the law involved. $800 is not a small chunk of change and certainly qualifies for small claims court. The whole out of state may be difficult to work around.

i'm not sure what he did or what he's doing. what i think is that he did something to it, messed up the paint and is claiming that i did it. and yes i located the pics from my roommate, but paypal never requested them from me. which is why i am waiting for paypal to reply to my inquiry. how can they make a decision for that much money without requesting evidence from both parties??? in my dispute information i specifically noted that i had pictures of it that were taken before it was shipped to the buyer. another point that i made... it was delivered to a place of business so a receptionist or someone else signed for it...meaning that the buyer didn't inspect the box before it was signed for.

can anyone confirm if there is a way for paypal to obtain your social security or tax ID??? my neighbor is a lawyer (works in social security claims or something) and he said that if paypal isn't a lending institution that they cannot legally post negative marks on credit. he also said that if they do not have SS# or tax ID they cannot report anything. i just want to know facts from people that have dealt with this before. until now i have had flawless transactions with ebay and paypal so i really have no idea what i need to do next.

Moral of the story is you get screwed as a seller on ebay.. I had a buyer try and do a switcheroo on a high end collectible on me.. Show me pics of his personal jacked up peice and claim it was what I sent.. Then wanted a refund and have the jacked up peice sent back at my expense..

No way never again will I deal w/ that..

Moral of the story is you get screwed as a seller on ebay.. I had a buyer try and do a switcheroo on a high end collectible on me.. Show me pics of his personal jacked up peice and claim it was what I sent.. Then wanted a refund and have the jacked up peice sent back at my expense..

exactly...also, i recommend being very EXPLICIT with details, return policy, charges, signatures, so that there is no way anyone to argue that you are wrong.

exactly...also, i recommend being very EXPLICIT with details, return policy, charges, signatures, so that there is no way anyone to argue that you are wrong.

All that is reco'd.. Yet once its in the hands of the Judge and Jury being Paypal, you are usually f'd as a seller.

Too many a holes abusing loopholes victimizing honest sellers..

I had the same thing happen with me recently. I hate dealing with eBay and they do nothing to protect sellers now. Worst of all, you can't leave negative feedback as a seller.....WTF?

I had the same thing happen with me recently. I hate dealing with eBay and they do nothing to protect sellers now. Worst of all, you can't leave negative feedback as a seller.....WTF?

really??? the seller no longer has the ability to leave feedback or just negative?? no wonder i've been reading so many cases of being ripped off lately.

this is bull^^^^ to say the least... there is no kind of protection for sellers at any front. thats alright, i've had my ebay account since 2000 and only 1 negative feedback so i'll take that hit. i'm officially done with ebay. i will only deal with buying items from ABC Express which i'm sure i'll have to find another way to pay for it.

Back