George Lucas: "I'm Retiring"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the world needed proof that being excessively wealthy is more damaging to your talent than huffing a ten-gallon tank of gasoline, then consider George Lucas a living PSA.

Sorry George, wish you all the best but this was waaay overdue. Enjoy your floating city made of diamonds!

As I said, I think he just wasn't pokerfacing his want for a third trilogy. Maybe you don't understand the definition of the word seem, but if I stated, "the boy seemed fine, but was puking". I'm obviously not saying the boy is not sick. Think you're reading too deeply, sorry if I hit you dead on with the pissant statement, I was talking about the tons of nutty fans that he complains about, didn't know we had one right here on the boards.
btw, the pissant critique was obviously pointed at people like myself who are overly critical of minor stuff grow some skin, dude. I admit to being very critical of the Star Wars movies, but its a passion, I TRY not to be a fanatic tho, but I'm borderline. :panic:

Sure, we can agree on that and yeah, maybe getting a bit of a thin skin on this topic, too. I'm gonna go back to looking forward to my Empire book, dammit, and maybe go for a walk outside! :p

Sure, we can agree on that and yeah, maybe getting a bit of a thin skin on this topic, too. I'm gonna go back to looking forward to my Empire book, dammit, and maybe go for a walk outside! :p

Oh I think we agree on alot more than you think. If you read some of my old posts I find myself rabidly jumping on the changes and what the hell was George thinking wagon ALOT, but at the end of the day I still go back to enjoying the movies. I'd like to see some of the work from that book when you get it, what little I've seen has been very interesting and I was thinking about picking it up myself.

I was surprised by what a good deal the book is. $53.55 on the US site and $65.00 on the Canadian (where I am) with free shipping on both. Will let you know what I think once I've had a chance to go through it, supposing you don't pull the trigger yourself before then.

In regards to George's changes, I agree that the SE versions are better for the most part (Mos Eisley and Bespin, in particular). The only two changes that I really have problems with are song/dance routine in Jabba's palace (just makes me cringe, but it's OK as I don't mind skipping it) and adding that "Noooo!" in ROTJ. That one I have a bigger problem with as it's kind of ruined the complexity of the scene for me. From being a kid I was always struck by Vader silently going back and forth and ultimately taking out Palpatine. That "Noo!" really cheapens it but I'll be keeping my DVD version for that, I guess.

Anyway, glad the conversation's taken the turn it did, has been good talking with you. Sorry I misconstrued your earlier post, just got a bit too wrapped-up in the back-and-forth.

I was surprised by what a good deal the book is. $53.55 on the US site and $65.00 on the Canadian (where I am) with free shipping on both. Will let you know what I think once I've had a chance to go through it, supposing you don't pull the trigger yourself before then.

In regards to George's changes, I agree that the SE versions are better for the most part (Mos Eisley and Bespin, in particular). The only two changes that I really have problems with are song/dance routine in Jabba's palace (just makes me cringe, but it's OK as I don't mind skipping it) and adding that "Noooo!" in ROTJ. That one I have a bigger problem with as it's kind of ruined the complexity of the scene for me. From being a kid I was always struck by Vader silently going back and forth and ultimately taking out Palpatine. That "Noo!" really cheapens it but I'll be keeping my DVD version for that, I guess.

Anyway, glad the conversation's taken the turn it did, has been good talking with you. Sorry I misconstrued your earlier post, just got a bit too wrapped-up in the back-and-forth.

:exactly::goodpost: Yeah, sometimes I think posts get bundled and then we start reading more into them then is there. Also, I have a tendency to start posting in one direction and then I veer off on another without a transition and I know its like.... :slap
I usually try to look back, re-read and re-edit to make my posts make as much sense as I can get them to. :rotfl
And as you said, I've got the original copies (or at least I have copies fairly close to original) that I can still pull out and enjoy when I want.

Did you see that James Cameron said he is going to work on Avatar 2, 3 and possibly 4... and documentaries.

So I was thinking, he is basically going to end his career with one film franchise.

Do you think George Lucas will see this and say "screw it, I am going to go out with a bang and make Star Wars 7-9"?

If he sees someone like James Cameron stick with one franchise and not be embarrassed by that fact.

Maybe George will say "I can live with being Mr. Star Wars".

Did you see that James Cameron said he is going to work on Avatar 2, 3 and possibly 4... and documentaries.

So I was thinking, he is basically going to end his career with one film franchise.

Do you think George Lucas will see this and say "screw it, I am going to go out with a bang and make Star Wars 7-9"?

If he sees someone like James Cameron stick with one franchise and not be embarrassed by that fact.

Maybe George will say "I can live with being Mr. Star Wars".

I could see Lucas doing that. The problem I believe is that his feelings are truly hurt from all of the hate that the PT gets. I don't see him coming back and trying to prove something.

I would love it if they make more SW movies. Doubt it will happen or anytime soon. Seems like Avengers is the new SW, at least, Marvel will keep their fans happy by making more and more superhero movies. Too bad, I am more of a SW fan.

I just would be happy to see a real TV Series what they talked about YEARS ago... :(

but they focus just on the cartoons... cheaper...

That man sparked the imagination of millions, provided countless hours of entertainment, and, if you hang around any seven year old kids lately continues to do that for the next generation of Star Wars fans. I hope he doesn't think that the prequel whinning internet babies in anyway, represent a plurality of Star Wars fans.
I wish him well.

I imagine the show is something Lucas could still do in semi-retirement. But given that they want to bring production costs down to 1/10 their current level, think it'll be a long time before that show sees the light of day. If it happens, hope they're aiming for AMC/HBO quality writing and not FOX.

What a Cry Baby Lucas is. Theres so many good films being made now, and he blames the fans. If the films are good it will get respected. He just can't direct anymore. Star Wars should be up there with the Marvel movies, coming out atleast once a year.

2263041_o.gif

My guess is Katie Lucas will take over the whole Lucasfilm company, she's been steadily taking more and more control of The Clone Wars animated series. So it would be a natural progression into the live action series then may be a new film.

My guess is Katie Lucas will take over the whole Lucasfilm company, she's been steadily taking more and more control of The Clone Wars animated series. So it would be a natural progression into the live action series then may be a new film.

What??? I know she has written several episodes, but I have yet to read anything where she is involved in anyway with production ect... Can I ask where you are getting your info from ?

I thought all the talk was Dave filoni was the padawan to take over...and on Oprah Next Chapter show that featured George, he clearly stated that after his death he has made it clear to his family, there are to be no new Star Wars Movies.

Also even with his retirement, there is now way with the mega buck star wars movies generate , have we seen the last live action movie...unless George goes the way of the force anytime soon.

I don't know. If it was about cash, couldn't Lucas already have made a dozen SW movies by now? I mean, think about the fact that he's even ruled out more SW after his death. He's basically dooming the franchise without fresh, mainstream movies being allowed to be produced (wonder if that goes for any TV shows, too?). Guess his family will always do alright off the license with just the existing material, but there won't be any Avengers-style paydays without movies. Will be interesting to see what happens.

The thing with GL is he changes his mind so often, i believe they'll be some exciting news at the event, apparently they've held the news back until then.

And sorry my contacts must remain secret lol. Filoni runs CW series but KL is progressing up the ladder at Lucasfilm.

If GL doesn't do anything more then I doubt his family would care enough to want to do more with it. Then again, the money won't last forever so maybe they'd allow someone to develop a project.

BTW Magpie 7, what event are you talking about? CVI?

Back