George Lucas: "I'm Retiring"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
I wonder if it'll stick.

George Lucas: 'I'm Retiring'
January 17th, 2012 13:39:23

In a forest clearing New York Times profile, George Lucas pulled a Soderbergh (new catch phrase?): "I'm retiring".

"I'm moving away from the business," he continued, "from the company, from all this kind of stuff."

By "stuff" Lucas is referring to the sprawling epics -- his bread and butter. He hopes to focus on more art house-type films, like the ones he made as a fledgling director as U.S.C. film school: clouds rolling in over the desert and one based on an E.E. Cummings poem. (Hear that? That the sound of a million eye rolls.)

But just like Soderbergh, Lucas isn't closing up shop just yet. He still has a few more Lucas-y films up his sleeve: his next, "Red Tails", a WWII action flick that follows the Tuskegee training program, and the fifth "Indiana Jones", which is still in the works.

New of Lucas's eventual departure from the world of blockbuster will surely hit "Star Wars" fanboys the hardest; there will be no more prequels or re-cuts of the series. To the director, though, this come as kind of a relief.

"Why would I make any more when everybody tells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

"Red Tails" hits theaters Jan. 20.

"Why would I make any more when everybody tells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

:monkey2

Oh, poor George. Everyone tells the little fella that he is a terrible person.

For Christ's sake, Lucas grow up. You're like 70 years old. Time to put the grade school hurt feelings away.

I wonder if it'll stick.

They need to proof read... And I suck at grammar.

I just wish he would open it to other creators to expand on. 7,8,and 9 need to be made.

He made what, 3 movies in the past 20 years? Not a stretch to "retire" to art house movies which he talked about 2 years ago or so now...

retiring from what you dumb ****, redoing star wars--------------
freggin jack ***

Last edited by a moderator:
That kind of sounds fake--I can't imagine Lucas actually giving in to critics about what he should do.

Apparently it's from an unpcoming New York Times piece. It's got 99 dedicated articles on Google search already, so if it is a fake, it's certainly caught on.

We've got a singer in Australia who's been doing a 'farewell tour' every year for the past twenty years. Wonder if George will take this approach to retirement.

I think the PT is a really $h!t set of Star Wars movies, and too many of his changes to the OT have been unwanted and unnecessary - but I wouldn't call him a terrible person. I just wish he'd have handed most of the main duties on the PT to other people, simply clean up the effects in the OT and then leave well alone.

Who cares?

It's like a band announces is breakup. Just break up and go on your way. No annoucement needed.

Back