General Newsletter and PPO question.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktjn

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just out of curisoity,

Why is it the Newsletter (w/new orders) is put up in the late afternoon/night, while the PPO is put up in the morning?

Just out of curisoity,

Why is it the Newsletter (w/new orders) is put up in the late afternoon/night, while the PPO is put up in the morning?

Priority Pre-Orders require Customer Service and IT staff to help out - answering phone calls, dealing with server issues, etc.

The Newsletter does not require as much support staff (well, there were a couple there that caused the servers to crash, but that was very unexpected and had never happened before - and has been rectified). And it's nice to have it available for people when they wake up / go in to work on Friday mornings (because we all know that's what everyone does when they get to work - check out all the cool stuff on the internet :)) :duff

Here is another question about the Newsletter time for you Dusty or Alex... Sideshow has repeated stated that the newsletter will arrive between 6PM PST and 7PM PST (barring any problems), but over the past several weeks, it has been coming very early... sometimes as early as 5:15PM PST. So my question is, has the Newsletter time changed? I've always said that I don't mind it being late, because at least I'm there waiting for it, but if it comes out way early, then many people might miss it because they were expecting it between the "official" hours. All I ask is that Sideshow say the Newsletter will come out at or after so and so time, and stick to it... without being early.

Here is another question about the Newsletter time for you Dusty or Alex... Sideshow has repeated stated that the newsletter will arrive between 6PM PST and 7PM PST (barring any problems), but over the past several weeks, it has been coming very early... sometimes as early as 5:15PM PST. So my question is, has the Newsletter time changed? I've always said that I don't mind it being late, because at least I'm there waiting for it, but if it comes out way early, then many people might miss it because they were expecting it between the "official" hours. All I ask is that Sideshow say the Newsletter will come out at or after so and so time, and stick to it... without being early.

:thwak I like the early newsletters. :lol

And it's nice to have it available for people when they wake up / go in to work on Friday mornings (because we all know that's what everyone does when they get to work - check out all the cool stuff on the internet :)) :duff

Sort of like getting your morning newspaper. Has it ever been considered moving the NL to mornings?.. Same time PPos go up (like at 9-10 am)?

edit: Reason i ask this is because I've read people have missed the NL cause they were on their way home from work, or it's too late for some (est). I've never once heard a 'time' complaint with the PPos.

:thwak I like the early newsletters. :lol

I can see where LC is coming from...But I have to agree with irish. Tonight will be hectic and I hope the NL pops up at a odd time like 5 pm pst. Unless Dusty can confirm there are no major POs tonight :)

Last edited:

consider yourself lucky. over the last few weeks my newsletter has gotten to my inbox hours after the "window" ends. sideshow should make it so everyone get it at the same time.

consider yourself lucky. over the last few weeks my newsletter has gotten to my inbox hours after the "window" ends. sideshow should make it so everyone get it at the same time.

You should never rely on your email. Check the website directly.

There's no way that we can possibly do that. Email delivery time depends on your email provider (for instance, AOL and Yahoo have incredibly harsh spam filters and only let a certain number of emails from the same address through each hour).

Which is why we started making it available directly on the site a couple of years ago - we post on our homepage as soon as it's available, and you can access it if you set up an account/password through this link: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/article.php?id=newsletter :duff

There's no way that we can possibly do that. Email delivery time depends on your email provider (for instance, AOL and Yahoo have incredibly harsh spam filters and only let a certain number of emails from the same address through each hour).

Which is why we started making it available directly on the site a couple of years ago - we post on our homepage as soon as it's available, and you can access it if you set up an account/password through this link: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/article.php?id=newsletter :duff

thanks for the reply dusty. i used to get the newsletter at the correct time though. this latest one arrived at 5/1/2009 2:18:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time. i do use aol for my email but as far as the spam filter being harsh i still manage to get plenty of real spam. theres no way they should consider ssc a spammer considering how few emails you folks actually send out. i tried to log on to the ssc site to view the newsletter during the release time and experienced login probs that the others mentioned. i just really miss getting the newsletter on time as it seved as a reminder that the products being released and po or ppo that were going on. kind of like a wake up call to spend some money. i would actually consider using a different email if you think it would help.

thanks for the reply dusty. i used to get the newsletter at the correct time though. this latest one arrived at 5/1/2009 2:18:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time. i do use aol for my email but as far as the spam filter being harsh i still manage to get plenty of real spam. theres no way they should consider ssc a spammer considering how few emails you folks actually send out. i tried to log on to the ssc site to view the newsletter during the release time and experienced login probs that the others mentioned. i just really miss getting the newsletter on time as it seved as a reminder that the products being released and po or ppo that were going on. kind of like a wake up call to spend some money. i would actually consider using a different email if you think it would help.

It doesn't have anything to do with how many we send individually to you, it has to do with how many we send to people using the same email provider (ie: aol) all at once during a certain time period. And believe me, it's A LOT even just to aol alone at newsletter time, thus the delay and the reasoning for making it available online *immediately* - that is really the ONLY solve, as we have absolutely no control over email providers and delivery times :duff

Thanks SS for putting the PPO in the morning, gives us Brits equal opportunity for the pieces, without it I wouldn't have got my SSE Galactus LSB. Just make all the SSE pieces PPO & I'll be over the moon:joy

Yeah, I hope Dusty sends word back, to hopefully give a morning NL a try. I think it would work out alot better than afternoon.

Yeah, I hope Dusty sends word back, to hopefully give a morning NL a try. I think it would work out alot better than afternoon.

Honestly, I think they'll be stickin' with what's been working for the past few years (ie: Thursday evening newsletter). That way more people are home, and it won't interfere when we do a PPO in the morning, etc. They had tried it many different ways before settling on the Thurs evening ... and quite honestly, nothing will ever be perfect for EVERYONE all across the globe :duff

Honestly, I think they'll be stickin' with what's been working for the past few years (ie: Thursday evening newsletter). That way more people are home, and it won't interfere when we do a PPO in the morning, etc. They had tried it many different ways before settling on the Thurs evening ... and quite honestly, nothing will ever be perfect for EVERYONE all across the globe :duff

I see where you are coming from, but how is it going to interfere with a Friday PPO when it's Thursday morning?

Doing it at night allows the most amount of customers to get to it I would imagine. Not to mention some of us that work during the day can't get access to SS site from our work computers.

I see where you are coming from, but how is it going to interfere with a Friday PPO when it's Thursday morning?

Oh, it would probably have to be a Friday morning, not Thurs (if it was going to be a morning at all) - just because of the scheduling, etc, - about the earliest we can get it out after the weekly meetings and creating all the content is Thursday evening :duff

Doing it at night allows the most amount of customers to get to it I would imagine. Not to mention some of us that work during the day can't get access to SS site from our work computers.

To determine that, I think SS would need to take a poll on their site.

But if PPOs are for major orders to which most want... kinda odd how those are in the morning (to which people are at work) and no one really complains. Thats why I was thinking it could work for the newsletter as well.

Oh, it would probably have to be a Friday morning, not Thurs (if it was going to be a morning at all) - just because of the scheduling, etc, - about the earliest we can get it out after the weekly meetings and creating all the content is Thursday evening :duff

Ok, I see. That would be a bit of a conflict. Curious though, How long is the process for making a NL? I assume it starts on Monday?

To determine that, I think SS would need to take a poll on their site.

But if PPOs are for major orders to which most want... kinda odd how those are in the morning (to which people are at work) and no one really complains. Thats why I was thinking it could work for the newsletter as well.

PPO's MUST be done during the Sideshow office hours (customer service, IT, etc), but people normally want their newsletter earlier rather than later - and as explained, Thurs evening is about the earliest we can manage - unless you want to wait until MONDAY morning ;)

PPO's MUST be done during the Sideshow office hours (customer service, IT, etc), but people normally want their newsletter earlier rather than later - and as explained, Thurs evening is about the earliest we can manage - unless you want to wait until MONDAY morning ;)

Monday is considered the start of a new week, and what better way to start it off than with a new morning newsletter :D

;)

Back