Gary Oldman in hot water!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very awkward. And I kinda think he laid it on a little too thick which makes me doubt his sincerity. Not that I care whether he really was sincere or not. I agree it's stupid that he had to apologize for a non-offensive statement.

Now, I don't want to offend anyone, but is it simply that Jewish people don't like to be called "Jews"? The word feels a bit harsh and I personally wouldn't use it like that in a sentence.
Yeah I've heard that jew is not supposed to be used. I didn't know much about it but you always have to say Jewish or something. not jew.

What a mess.

B. He's eating crow because he knows without a Hollywood career he will be working at the Home Depot. I thought he was going to start crying there for a second.

Oh i would visit home depot every day just to talk to him :lol:lol

yeah, that made me pretty uncomfortable when he looked like he was going to cry. very uneasy interview.

Yes I very much doubt this was all a marketing ploy- Oldman is still too much of a class act to pull a stunt like this.
The outcome will be a wash and he will continue to be a great actor working in Hollywood despite his misgivings about it.

money talks
He said it himself, about the movies he didn't like but it is all "Just Work" this might fit into that, one more performance asked by the studios to hype the movie up.

That was one of the points that Gary was talking about.

Though I don't care for Tosh, Lisa Lampanelli is awesome. A blue Don Rickles.

I don't have anything against Lisa Lampanelli or Daniel Tosh (they make me laugh sometimes)
it's Just that they have some of the most racist and offensive jokes I've ever heard but you never see these groups going against them as hard as they do for other people.

I am sure some people try to boycott Lisa's shows, but she has never made the headlines for her racist jokes. Like I said about Michael Richards, the entire world fell on him because of what he said, but Lisa says things that are a hundred times more racist.

And it's not like people don't know about it because her specials are shown on Comedy Central all the time. So it's not like her stand ups are secret or anything

this thread is very misleading. :mad:

now, this is gary oldman in hot water.
tumblr_l22n6fgcRQ1qbcq8ao1_500.jpg

I don't know about this. Mel Gibson said some pretty hateful stuff, and Oldman is attributing the reaction to his comments as political correctness gone too far. What if the same thing was said about Donald Sterlings comments, which were equally ignorant? I understand Oldman's point, which is that PC has gone too far, but he used a stupid and completely irrelevant example. I don't think that is interpretation through the "lens of
eternal victimhood." I understand the point of what was being said...PC has indeed gone too far. I just think there are RELEVANT examples that he could have used that wouldn't involve him defending comments that as hateful as Gibson's were.

Gibson was pretty bad (and didn't he say them right around the time The Passion came out?) Jesse Jackson and Al Sharptonhave said some terrible things as well, but didn't seem to take the same kind of heat.

Mel was drunk when he said the anti jewish remarks. It was around the Passion was made. Gibson has stated many times he was angry about the reaction he was getting from the Jewish leaders about the film that they had never seen... You know the film about Christ that people saw and never once took their anger out on the Jewish people.

His conversation recorded by his girlfriend was pretty awful but it was A. An outraged man being egged on by his girlfriend who edited the tapes and tried to black mail Mel.

Having said that Mel did say some awful things that he deserved some blow back for but it is a joke how bad Hollywood refused to forgive Mel.... the Cast of the Hangover asked for him not to be cast in the second film because of the comments that he had said, apologized and paid for. Yet they had no issue staring in a film with convictred rapist mile tyson. How about Roman Polanski?? Rape a child get an Oscar. Drugs, rape, abuse... All can be forgiven in Hollywood except the words you say.

Here is a great article about Mel and his issues from a reporter who use to really dislike him. https://www.deadline.com/2014/03/mel-gibson-career-hollywood-deserves-chance/

the Cast of the Hangover asked for him not to be cast in the second film because of the comments that he had said, apologized and paid for. Yet they had no issue staring in a film with convictred rapist mile tyson. How about Roman Polanski?? Rape a child get an Oscar. Drugs, rape, abuse... All can be forgiven in Hollywood except the words you say.

Here is a great article about Mel and his issues from a reporter who use to really dislike him. https://www.deadline.com/2014/03/mel-gibson-career-hollywood-deserves-chance/

but why does this happen? it's almost like there is some weird hidden agenda.

Glad he didn't walk anything back he said about San Fran Nan.:monkey3

Last edited:
I'm still a Mel Gibson fan, always have been.

Richard Donner is Jewish I believe and he still considers Gibson a friend/family. If Gibson was really an antisemitic nut job, I doubt he would have been able to work alongside Donner (and Joel Silver) for a decade in such a tight nit, family unit, not to mention they're not offended by him. I think Gibson just had a tough 2000s, especially during/after Passion of the Christ.

Mel is a grown man who should've known better.
(Hard to feel too bad for a famous multi millionaire)
But Gary is right, Hollyweird will forgive a multitude of sins as long you walk in lock step with whatever the Glitterotti believes is fashionable.

Mel was drunk when he said the anti jewish remarks. It was around the Passion was made. Gibson has stated many times he was angry about the reaction he was getting from the Jewish leaders about the film that they had never seen... You know the film about Christ that people saw and never once took their anger out on the Jewish people.

His conversation recorded by his girlfriend was pretty awful but it was A. An outraged man being egged on by his girlfriend who edited the tapes and tried to black mail Mel.

Having said that Mel did say some awful things that he deserved some blow back for but it is a joke how bad Hollywood refused to forgive Mel.... the Cast of the Hangover asked for him not to be cast in the second film because of the comments that he had said, apologized and paid for. Yet they had no issue staring in a film with convictred rapist mile tyson. How about Roman Polanski?? Rape a child get an Oscar. Drugs, rape, abuse... All can be forgiven in Hollywood except the words you say.

:lecture :exactly: I could never be inebriated enough to say the things Mel said in anger. It points to a core set of beliefs as far as I'm concerned. Appalling stuff. But yeah, Polanksi gets a pass... Woody Allen gets a pass...

I'm pretty disappointed in Oldman apologising the way he did. Having written his initial mea culpa he should've just pointed to that every time a question on the matter was put to him. "I've made a written apology, that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned". But now he has been totally humiliated and looks like a man who can't stand by his convictions. He's suffered the modern day equivalent of having tomatoes thrown at him in a public square.

:lecture :exactly: I could never be inebriated enough to say the things Mel said in anger. It points to a core set of beliefs as far as I'm concerned. Appalling stuff. But yeah, Polanksi gets a pass... Woody Allen gets a pass...

I'm pretty disappointed in Oldman apologising the way he did. Having written his initial mea culpa he should've just pointed to that every time a question on the matter was put to him. "I've made a written apology, that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned". But now he has been totally humiliated and looks like a man who can't stand by his convictions. He's suffered the modern day equivalent of having tomatoes thrown at him in a public square.

In response I can only say you were right. Daddy Pig is an inspiration to me now.

Relevant? Perhaps......not.

money talks
He said it himself, about the movies he didn't like but it is all "Just Work" this might fit into that, one more performance asked by the studios to hype the movie up.

I don't have anything against Lisa Lampanelli or Daniel Tosh (they make me laugh sometimes)
it's Just that they have some of the most racist and offensive jokes I've ever heard but you never see these groups going against them as hard as they do for other people.

I am sure some people try to boycott Lisa's shows, but she has never made the headlines for her racist jokes. Like I said about Michael Richards, the entire world fell on him because of what he said, but Lisa says things that are a hundred times more racist.

And it's not like people don't know about it because her specials are shown on Comedy Central all the time. So it's not like her stand ups are secret or anything

What Richard said wasn't part of his show.

Back