Gary Oldman in hot water!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jye4ever

Broke and happy
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2014/06/25/show...man-rant-apology-playboy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- Gary Oldman has written a letter apologizing for statements he made in a Playboy interview that have been slammed by Jewish groups.

In a letter to the Anti-Defamation League, Oldman said he was "deeply remorseful" for the comments about Mel Gibson, which the ADL said put forward anti-Semitic stereotypes.

"I am deeply remorseful that comments I recently made in the Playboy Interview were offensive to many Jewish people," Oldman said. "Upon reading my comments in print -- I see how insensitive they may be, and how they may indeed contribute to the furtherance of a false stereotype. Anything that contributes to this stereotype is unacceptable, including my own words on the matter."

Gary Oldman goes off on hypocrisy, political correctness, Gibson and Baldwin.

In the interview, on newstands Friday and already published online, Oldman wades into the controversies involving Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin, though to be fair, he does so in the context of ripping hypocrisy and political correctness.
Gibson was pilloried for anti-Semitic remarks he made in 2006; Baldwin was criticized for lashing out at paparazzi with an anti-gay slur last year.

"Mel Gibson is in a town that's run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he's actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him -- and doesn't need to feed him anymore because he's got enough dough," Oldman said in the interview. "But some Jewish guy in his office somewhere hasn't turned and said, 'That ******ing kraut' or '****** those Germans,' whatever it is? We all hide and try to be so politically correct. That's what gets me. It's just the sheer hypocrisy of everyone."

Oldman's longtime manager, Douglas Urbanski, defended Oldman in a statement to CNN.

"I have looked at the Playboy interview a few times now -- in fact I was in the room during the entire 8 or 9 hours. I am unaware -- as I have seen reported -- of Gary Oldman defending any anti-Semitic remarks in the interview, or, for that matter, anyplace!" said Urbanski.

"He would not do so, and in fact he finds any kind of bigotry, homophobia, anti-Semitism, racism or sexism unacceptable and disgraceful. Period. If you read the Playboy piece correctly and entirely, and in context, it is the hypocrisy of political correctness that Gary is addressing, nothing else."

The ADL, however, was not placated by Oldman's apology.

"We have just began a conversation with his managing producer. At this point, we are not satisfied with what we received. His apology is insufficient and not satisfactory," ADL National Director Abraham Foxman said.
The Playboy interview appears in the magazine's July/August issue. Oldman stars in the forthcoming film "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes."

Link to Playboy interview: https://www.playboy.com/playground/view/gary-oldman-playboy-interview

Excerpt from Playboy interview regarding his career in general:

PLAYBOY: Let’s begin with an impressive factoid. Based on lead and supporting roles, you are one of the highest-grossing actors in movie history, with films earning nearly $10 billion at the box office worldwide. That must feel amazing.

OLDMAN: I suppose it should.

PLAYBOY: Any working actor would want a career like yours.

OLDMAN: Except me.

PLAYBOY: Wait. You’re not happy with your career?

OLDMAN: It’s not that so much as there’s a perfectionism with me.

PLAYBOY: When you look back at your credits, what makes you say, “I could have done better”?

OLDMAN: Most of it.

PLAYBOY: Really? You don’t like Sid & Nancy?

OLDMAN: I don’t like myself in the movie, no. Frankly, I didn’t want to make it in the first place. I was talked into it at the time. And now, if I flip through the channels and come upon it, it’s “****! Sid & Nancy,” and off it goes. I don’t think I played Sid Vicious very well. I don’t like the way I look in Prick Up Your Ears. I wasn’t the right person to play Beethoven and turned it down half a dozen times.

PLAYBOY: The Dark Knight? Harry Potter?

OLDMAN: It was work.

PLAYBOY: Uh, The Fifth Element?

OLDMAN: Oh no. I can’t bear it.

Last edited:
My guess is that the ADL is pointing out that his apology was just for people being offended and not that he's remorseful for making them in the first place.

Its like a sorry but not really sorry.

Seems like he's a bit of a ****. :lol He's pretty darn good in HP and TDK. I'd be pretty proud of it if it was me. :dunno

He should not have to apologize. Everybody is too damn sensitive. Great Actor!

My guess is that the ADL is pointing out that his apology was just for people being offended and not that he's remorseful for making them in the first place.

Its like a sorry but not really sorry.

I suspect they're determined to find offence in anything he says. It reads pretty remorseful to me.

Dear America, grow some thicker skin. Not everyone is going to like you. Not everyone should have to like you. I'm sick of people getting their feelings hurt. Did no one ever teach anyone "sticks and stones, etc"?

Yeah really wish he hadn't. (saw what he was saying a few days ago)
Kudos to him anyways for having dome ballz....Apparently unlike Josh.

Actually smarty pants I was taking about the stuff at the bottom. As far as his comments he should have probably just kept his mouth shut and left that topic well enough alone. Especially if he can't word it any better than that.

Dear America, grow some thicker skin. Not everyone is going to like you. Not everyone should have to like you. I'm sick of people getting their feelings hurt. Did no one ever teach anyone "sticks and stones, etc"?

As an American, I totally agree. What we have is the people involved in pop culture and social media, the very vocal minority, trying to speak for everyone. The majority do not feel, or think, the way the vocal minority does, but they also don't care enough to do anything about it. The forever offended need to go the way of the dinosaur as they are the most inconsequential part of modern society, and have nothing to offer, but PC b.s.

Thought it was a gonna be a picture of gary oldman sitting in a hot tub. This thread disappoints me. SHUT IT DOWN!!!!

The entire world can suck Oldman's nuts; he shouldn't have to apologize for his opinions - we don't have to endorse nor like it, but damnit, what happened to the world? So frakking PC

Next Up: The Anti-Defamation League issues an apology to feminists worldwide for reading Playboy.

Back