Gartogg Gammorean Guard and 12-Inch Figure and Jabba's Palace Environment

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMGP1898.JPG

IMO I think that Sideshow dropped the ball on this figure. They totally missed the mark on capturing the “essence” of this character. The back of the head, eyes, etc. Everything is off!!!
When I first saw pictures online I thought...”maybe I need to see it in person”. When I saw it in person I thought “Ummm Noooo” and walked away!!

Have to disagree with you (with the exception of the back of the head) I think Sideshow did an awesome job on the Guards :huh

I agree with galactiboy.... I have both the generic as the Gartogg guard and with a little mod (read a piece of cloth in the neck) I think they are great!! And standing them in not to bright light also helps.....

It's not off, it's pretty much there. Although I thought that at first, my mind was too used to my favourite Kenner fig as a kid. While that isn't accurate, the SS versions are quite to the film.

Personally, I think the Sideshow versions are great figures overall, but the head sculpts do seem off compared to the actual costumes. Maybe "off" isn't the right word -- it's more like they are an alternate take on the character. Slightly more cartoony somehow. Compare the heads on the 1/6 scale figures to the Sideshow life sized bust to see what I'm talking about.

I agree with you completely icruise. If the 1/6th head was a smaller exact replica of the life sized bust then this would be the perfect 1/6th Gammorean Guard. As it stands now, this is the best 1/6th scale Gammorean Guard EVER made. I have both the regular Gammorean and Gartogg and I'm still considering getting another Regular one. The only way we could get a better Gammorean would be if HT decided to make one, and I would definitely be up for that.

I know I'm pretty late to the party here (especially for Jabba's #1 fan) but the archway just didn't say "Jabba's Palace" to me, so I put off getting it for a long time.

jabba_archway6.jpg

I'd say it's not a bad piece, and does look nice when used in a larger display, or as a figure base for the Gamorrean figure.

jabba_archway3.jpg

I'm not a fan of the light-up feature at all, though. The buttons look too pastel in color when lit up, and the flashing is way too regular for it to achieve (what I assume is) the desired effect of having a malfunctioning light.

jabba_archway5.jpg
jabba_archway4.jpg

[ame]https://youtu.be/GQ1aArCK3Tg[/ame]

I like the image of Jabba's Palace on the bottom of the base (similar to the one we saw on the Leia vs. Jabba diorama) but of course it won't be seen 99.9% of the time.

jabba_archway2.jpg

Here is my entire setup. The archway makes for a good match with the Han in Carbonite when they're placed on either side of the throne. Not sure what I'll do if they come out with more environment pieces...

jabba_archway1.jpg

Your Jabba environment looks pretty much perfect across the span of your cabinets, iCruise. Looks really well balanced. See what you're saying about the light-up feature, though. A bit too regular and strobe-like for my tastes, too.

I just got one Gammorean Guard and feel the "itch" coming on. I have a shelf that would accommodate a Jabba set up, but it would be at the expense of future figures. I can't seam to decide which way to go.

For me it would depend on what I already had. Although I've seen Jabba around on a few sites (I think for $200.00 or so), I've never seen the throne environment for sale, so I'm assuming you'll pay heavily for that on the secondary market. Then there's the Salacious Crumb pack and additional creature pack (essential, IMO) that are about $100.00 - $120.00 each, plus Bib, Han in Carbonite ($300.00?) and maybe another Gammorean. Roughly calculated, that's $1000.00+ if you're starting from scratch, so it's enough to keep it from consideration, in my case.

It's one thing if I'm slowly building as stuff is coming out, but trying to catch-up once everything's been released and getting it while in short supply is another. I've made my peace with not having a Jabba environment :monkey2 since I'm slowly building up the Cantina and then will focus on Hoth and Bespin.

I thought about the Jabba setup, but decided to go the cantina route since I can get everything at good prices since the current pieces haven't been out long.

Jabba and throne are not that expensive. You can still get them for under retail.

Just going by what I've seen that's still available online new in package (always my first choice), along with retail prices of stuff when it was released (Han in Carbonite, for example). I've not researched the secondary market prices since I've kinda ruled Jabba out, but I'm still thinking ~$1k for a set-up like yours is not that inaccurate (excluding Boba Fett, the droid, C-3PO, R2 and Luke). A lot would depend on luck, I'd guess, in terms of getting good deals here and there.

At any rate, all I mean by mentioning this is that to me, your display is how it 'should be done'. I wouldn't want to even start unless I was committed to coming up with something of the same calibre. At the moment, I have to pick and choose (in terms of both price and space to display), so Jabba's not really feasible.

I thought about the Jabba setup, but decided to go the cantina route since I can get everything at good prices since the current pieces haven't been out long.

Yeah, I was surprised to find the Cantina sets, Greedo and Hammerhead still routinely available from comic and hobby stores locally. Only thing I've seen available here from Jabba's set-up is the Gammorean.

Last edited:
If you want it to be new in box, then yes your options are a lot more limited. But the used prices for Jabba and Throne in the "For Sale" sections of online forums and on ebay are really not that high if you are patient. That said, yes it would easily be $1000+ for my entire setup if you wanted to purchase everything now.

Yeah, that light-up is not at all what I thought it was going to be. I get the switches, but why does the broken wall area detail flicker? I just remember those being steady lighting in the movie.

The piece just looks too much like ruins or something (the way they "sectioned" it,) just doesn't feel like Jabba's Palace even though the detailing is pretty nice.

Agreed,those lights don't strobe in the movie, in that close up of Lando infront of one, it remains static, so does the one behind Bib to the left of throne, same with the under arch lights, strange design decision to make it strobe. And yeah it's such a shame that its only a tiny 'ruined' part, not a closed small arch, would have been great if there were more interlocking parts to build a closed environment. That being said, building your own enviro/arch is doable.

I still can't bring myself to like this piece. Like said above, it just looks like ruins to me, not part of Jabba's palace. Maybe if it was the full arch, or was flat at the top instead of looking like structural damage, I'd like it more. If it ever gets steeply discounted, I might pick it up still.

As for Jabba's Throne, you can still get it at or below retail, you just have to scour ebay and the for sale threads, just be patient. I scored mine just last year - Jabba EX, Throne, Bib, and Leia Boussh for $450.

Thanks for the help/suggestions. I think it makes more sense to pass on Jabba, though it sucks because I would love to set up a Jabba's palace scene. I will be able to display more figures given the space that I still have available.

I still can't bring myself to like this piece. Like said above, it just looks like ruins to me, not part of Jabba's palace. Maybe if it was the full arch, or was flat at the top instead of looking like structural damage, I'd like it more. If it ever gets steeply discounted, I might pick it up still.

As for Jabba's Throne, you can still get it at or below retail, you just have to scour ebay and the for sale threads, just be patient. I scored mine just last year - Jabba EX, Throne, Bib, and Leia Boussh for $450.

Wow, sounds like you got a really good deal there Ryan. Way cheaper then what all hat would have cost at initial retail. Seems like your patience paid off, congrats. I agree that the archway would have been so much cooler if it had been a full doorway, but I don't regret having gotten it.

Back