Full Size Iron Man bust from Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, hopefully SS will improve their quality control if these recasts keep getting better. I don't agree with recasts btw lol. :monkey1

Okay ... I can see why a recast would be tempting to get. Though I would have simply gotten the Battle Damaged Version.

Not gonna lie, I felt like getting a recast Mark II bust a while ago. The paint was phenomenal but it did not have the rivets as in the SS Mark II bust. It was basically just a Mark III bust with the Mark II color so I passed on it.

Last edited:
I am not going to judge anyone really. I can honestly say I would be tempted if I found a good quality recast. Especially at some of the prices mentioned above.

joking aside, i didnt really think twice about purchasing a recast. I certainly didnt think people would feel bad about it. I just see it as an opportunity in adding a piece that is not the official one but is a damn close representation. As i mentioned previously, the original Mark III bust has long sold out now and i only started collecting back in January of this year so missed out by a few years. On the secondary market the Mark III bust (clean version) goes for some rediculous prices so when i saw this recast on eBay i jumped at the chance. It looked the same from the pics and that was good enough for me. Besides, i knew that i was always going to add my own customising to it as i heard that the paint apps on recasts were terrible. Hence why i have now started the new paint app on mine. At $200 im certainly not going to turn it down! Although have the official Sideshow product would be great in an ideal world, i really dont mind having the recast in my collection, especially as once i have re-painted my bust to a reasonably high standard then i see it as though i've just saved myself over $1300. Some people will agree about buying recasts and some wont mind it. I think its personal preference at the end of the day but i really dont think its wrong.

It's a personal preference having a fake or not?

Not only does it hurt SSC, Marvel, etc but it hurts the collectors who spent the actual money to get the REAL bust.

So you missed out, that's no excuse. SSC had the battle damamged MK III which you could easiy repaint and the new MKVII bust thats up for preorder.

Just cheap and fake. Recasting sucks and most communities don't allow or approve.

It's a personal preference having a fake or not?

Not only does it hurt SSC, Marvel, etc but it hurts the collectors who spent the actual money to get the REAL bust.

So you missed out, that's no excuse. SSC had the battle damamged MK III which you could easiy repaint and the new MKVII bust thats up for preorder.

Just cheap and fake. Recasting sucks and most communities don't allow or approve.

Your right, i'll send it back and ask for a full refund. Im sorry if what i did was wrong. I didnt mean to upset anyone :survivor Expecto Petronum!

On the plus side, at least the Iron Man 1/2 scale maquette i got yesterday is the official Sideshow one :)

Last edited:
Your right, i'll send it back and ask for a full refund. Im sorry if what i did was wrong. I didnt mean to upset anyone :survivor Expecto Petronum!

On the plus side, at least the Iron Man 1/2 scale maquette i got yesterday is the official Sideshow one :)

It's not "wrong" it's just heavily frowned upon in the community.

Congrats on your 1:2 Maquette tho! Wish I had the space!

It's not "wrong" it's just heavily frowned upon in the community.

Congrats on your 1:2 Maquette tho! Wish I had the space!

On a serious note, i completely understand where your coming from rnbuda. I have to say though, i really didnt think about it at the time of winning the recast on eBay. All i could think about was getting that bust!! Its not that i consistently purchase recasts, infact this will be my one and only i ever get. It was that just on this occasion the opportunity reared its ugly head and i had to do it! Although now that i have it in my posession i have to say i definately dont regret winning it for $200...after i have finished repainting the entire bust it will look awesome!

One question i wanted to ask, as my knowledge of recasts are slightly on the unknown side :dunno...what happens to the casts of the original sideshow pieces? ie...the casts of the Iron Man Mark III busts, the 1:2 Iron Man Maquette, etc...do Sideshow destroy the casts that are used to make the originals or are they sold in China where the pieces are mass produced? Or is it just a case of someone who has an original Sideshow piece and just takes a cast of it to sell on the market to make a quick buck? Would be interesting to know....

Okay...at long last here are pics of my latest completed project...my custom Iron Man Mark III 1:1 Bust. So as some of you may know, i had won this recast of Sideshows Mark III bust from eBay for around $214 but was later refunded a further $100 due to delays in shipping caused by the Chinese New Year, so all in all it cost me approx. $114 for the bust. The bust arrived in good condition but the paint application was extremely poor and needed to be repainted...in some cases parts of the bust had been left unpainted, notably on the collar part...on the plus side it came with working LED light up eyes and they looked perfect! Here are some shots of when i recieved it and how dull the colour was.... (see next post below!)

so i started with the repainting of the bust...the candy red colour was applied first...

View attachment 54295

then once the gold parts were applied aswell as the chrome collar straps and port holes...the bust was complete. Here are the final pics:

View attachment 54296

View attachment 54297

View attachment 54298

View attachment 54299

thanks for looking...more pics are on my show your shelves thread :)

Last edited:
Okay...at long last here are pics of my latest completed project...my custom Iron Man Mark III 1:1 Bust. So as some of you may know, i had won this recast of Sideshows Mark III bust from eBay for around $214 but was later refunded a further $100 due to delays in shipping caused by the Chinese New Year, so all in all it cost me approx. $114 for the bust. The bust arrived in good condition but the paint application was extremely poor and needed to be repainted...in some cases parts of the bust had been left unpainted, notably on the collar part...on the plus side it came with working LED light up eyes and they looked perfect! Here are some shots of when i recieved it and how dull the colour was....

so i started with the repainting of the bust...the candy red colour was applied first...

View attachment 54295

then once the gold parts were applied aswell as the chrome collar straps and port holes...the bust was complete. Here are the final pics:

View attachment 54296

View attachment 54297

View attachment 54298

View attachment 54299

The repaint looks great!!! Congrats on a job well done.Looks better than the Sideshow original hands down and for a lot less money.

The repaint looks great!!! Congrats on a job well done.Looks better than the Sideshow original hands down and for a lot less money.

Appreciate the kind words kdoty1 :clap i'll never know if its as good as the Sideshow version as ive never seen it in real life to compare with, but i'm really happy with the results and it'll be a great addition to my collection...in regards to spending less money, i worked out that i saved myself over $1300 so that means i can now complete my payments on my next pre order purchases which are the Iron Man Mark VII 1:1 bust and Iron Man Mark VI Legendary Scale Bust :yess: Also glad that i purchased the War Machine 1:1 bust a few months ago...all i need now is the Iron Man Mark II 1:1 bust...

I also have the Legendary scale bust on
order too and it will compliment my 1/2
scale project iron man custom.

I also have the Legendary scale bust on
order too and it will compliment my 1/2
scale project iron man custom.

It certainly will compliment the 1/2 scale maquette...it will be nice to eventually cover all the different armour variants in different formats...ie: 1:1 busts, legendary scale busts, maquettes, etc...

Very upsetting to see that this too has been recast.

Recasting is going to kill this hobby.

My first purchase of 2013 has arrived and i couldnt be happier! After missing out the first time when Sideshow released the Mark III bust and then realising it had completely sold out when i first saw pictures of it, i started to think that i would never own this Iron Man Grail piece...and to get it factory sealed and brand new was even more of a result! :yess:
View attachment 56274

View attachment 56275

After hearing of many others who had this piece in their collection and the problems they had with it i was happy to see that mine arrived in perfect condition with ultra bright working LED's in the eyes...

View attachment 56276

View attachment 56277

bring on the Mark VII 1:1 bust in May!!!:yess:

Back