FREE signed Children of HURIN book

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodsy said:
Just back from NYC. Was 3rd in line for the Barnes and Noble event. Because of the terrible weather in the days leading up to the event the attendance was not as good as expected. Although the limit was 2 books per person, we were told we could purchase addition books once the line up had been exhausted.
The 9 hour drive [one way] from Toronto was well worth it. The terrific folks from theonering.net were on hand and I was able to score a Sideshow Collectibles hat and Helm of the King of the Dead, as well as a nice LOTR T-shirt in some trivia contests. Was also able to pick up a dozen of the signed books ! All in all a great time and the people we met from NYC were fantastic. :D

awesome! ......got an extra one you'd like to let go of...for a price..?

A dozen copies of the signed books that are selling for over $200 a piece on eBay--I think that your 9 hour drive was worth it!!! Congratulations and it sounds like you have a fun experience! I admire your dedication--that was a long drive!

yeah...Woodsy...if you need to sell off one of those signed copies, please add me to the list. :D :D :D

lcummins said:
I hope woodsy can help as many of you Freaks as he can! That would truly be awesome!
It would! As long as he doesn't ask for $200 like Tom so kindly pointed out! :lol

tomandshell said:
A dozen copies of the signed books that are selling for over $200 a piece on eBay--I think that your 9 hour drive was worth it!!! Congratulations and it sounds like you have a fun experience! I admire your dedication--that was a long drive!

Yeah, we really had a great time. My daughter turned 16 a few weeks ago and I promised her,and her best friend, a shopping trip to NYC for her birthday present. Needless to say, they just loved it!, and I was extremely impressed by the friendliness of New Yorker's...I wasn't expecting that at all but they were great. We were even offered the use of an apartment in downtown Manhattan this summer by some really nice people we met in line.
The only downside was getting up at 3:45 on Tues.[ arrived Barnes and Noble 5 AM] then having to drive back home right after the event. Got home about 10:30 PM and had to work a 24 hour shift starting bright and early Wed. morning. Thankfully we weren'y that busy, but I'm still feeling it a bit today.

woodsy said:
Yeah, we really had a great time. My daughter turned 16 a few weeks ago and I promised her,and her best friend, a shopping trip to NYC for her birthday present. Needless to say, they just loved it!, and I was extremely impressed by the friendliness of New Yorker's...I wasn't expecting that at all but they were great. We were even offered the use of an apartment in downtown Manhattan this summer by some really nice people we met in line.
The only downside was getting up at 3:45 on Tues.[ arrived Barnes and Noble 5 AM] then having to drive back home right after the event. Got home about 10:30 PM and had to work a 24 hour shift starting bright and early Wed. morning. Thankfully we weren'y that busy, but I'm still feeling it a bit today.

My first trip to Comic Con was about like that, but not quite as bad. Get up around 4:30 AM to leave for San Diego, about a six hour drive, walk around the exhibit hall all day, leave about 7:30 and get home around 1:30 AM, get up in the morning and go to work. But trips like that are a lot of fun and what you lose in sleep you make up for in memories.

tomandshell said:
I remember when I was #3 on WetaWork's list.

Aah, the memories...

:rotfl

Since pretty well everyone lined up a second time, he must have at least 4 copies so you might want to PM him.

As for my copies, I'll keep one for myself and I'm probably going to use a few as trade bait for some Sideshow Collectibles I'm looking to add to my collection. The rest I will hold on to for now. I've got 3 kids, two of which will be going to university in the next few years, and I'm sure these books will come in handy. :rolleyes:

woodsy said:
...As for my copies, I'll keep one for myself and I'm probably going to use a few as trade bait for some Sideshow Collectibles I'm looking to add to my collection. The rest I will hold on to for now. I've got 3 kids, two of which will be going to university in the next few years, and I'm sure these books will come in handy. :rolleyes:

Well lucky I'm only about 50 kms down the road from you. We can trade in person. What are you looking for? :rock :D

woodsy said:

That was you with the 2 teenage girls at the front of the line? :lol

I was the short guy, dark hair in the suit, tie, 4bucks coffee in hand, tumi briefcase in tote, about 11th in line.

I also ran into "DarthRage" from the forum. He was wearing a Sideshow cap.

tomandshell said:
I remember when I was #3 on WetaWork's list.

Aah, the memories...

:rotfl

Fear not my friend. Once we can confirm that Gideon and Lonnie receive theirs from dayhiker, you are next in line. :D

Hey, Woodsy... you scored 12 copies!?!? Damn!!!! I wish I had some friends or family with me. Getting many PMs? :rotfl

Last edited:
WetaWork said:
That was you with the 2 teenage girls at the front of the line? :lol

I was the short guy, dark hair in the suit, tie, 4bucks coffee in hand, tumi briefcase in tote, about 11th in line.

I also ran into "DarthRage" from the forum. He was wearing a Sideshow cap.

Yeah, that was me, the one with the bags under my eyes. Left my friend's place in NJ at 4 AM and got to B&N just before 5. The drive in wasn't so bad but getting out of there in the afternoon was quite an experience. I'm surprised you remembered the girls though, they spent more time shopping 5th ave. than they did with me in the line. :lol
I remember seeing you as well, I think it's because of the suit...you looked very formal :D I wish I had known it was you.

WetaWork said:
A real bargin when you consider how rare these are. Tolkien book collectors are real fanatical. A few years from now and these will be demanding over $1000 if not thousands.

dolph1.gif

WetaWork said:
Hey, Woodsy... you scored 12 copies!?!? Damn!!!! I wish I had some friends or family with me. Getting many PMs? :rotfl

I really thought there would be at least 500 people there and was fully expecting B&N to change the limit to one per person, which would have been fine with me. But I guess with all the rain, flooding, and cold temperatures it really kept the crowds away. Plus I'm not so sure B&N marketed this event as well as they could have. I was really surprised when Erica [the B&N Events Manager] said we could go through the line again once everyone had gotten their two copies, and figured why not?
Hey how'd you make out with theonering.net trivia contests. I hope you weren't in a group with the guy from Houston, Shawn...I think he has the books memorized word for word.

It is a tribute to the character and integrity of the people involved on this board that they are making these books avaialble to myself and others here. If you go to ebay you can see that these signed books are going in excess of $350.00 each. Yesterday somebody put on up at a buy it now price of $199 and it went in minutes. The folks here are a total class act. I want to thank both WetaWork and Dayhiker for getting books for me. I am happy to get one and let someone else share in the joy.

This is one great place to be.....

Back