Franchises that only have one great movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alien.

I know everyone is in love with Cameron's Aliens but I think it's a silly movie. Enjoyable, yes, but the first one makes it look like a B movie. The best part is the Queen Alien and Riply/Power Loader scene.
A serious drop in quality from the first film to the second. The rest aren't even mentionable

Same goes for Predator.

I believe it was in one of the Robocop HT threads that a-dev mentioned how quickly the Robocop franchise went south with Robocop 2 and how most franchises get at least two great films in them before turning the corner. I actually was thinking about it the other day and I came up with a handful of examples of series where there was only the first one.

Here are movies that turned into franchises and yet never gave us more than one great film:

1. Jaws
2. Conan the Barbarian
3. Back to the Future
4. Predator
5. Robocop
6. The Matrix

Did I forget any others?

Uhhhh I disagree, BTTF 2 is almost as good as its original.

Gremlins has one of the best sequels ever. It's off the rails in the best possible way. And is a great meta hit on unnecessary sequels.

I don't like Gremlins 2 as a continuation of the events of "Gremlins" per se and it certainly isn't the classic that the first one is, but yes, I've thoroughly enjoyed it since its release as an amusing diversion. Some great gremlin designs too. Not so much a sequel as a parody of the first with how it pokes fun at how timezones would factor in with the "after midnight" aspect and all of Kate's relatives dying on random holidays. It'd be like if after Star Wars George Lucas went and made Spaceballs as the follow-up.

I don't like Gremlins 2 as a continuation of the events of "Gremlins" per se and it certainly isn't the classic that the first one is, but yes, I've thoroughly enjoyed it since its release as an amusing diversion. Some great gremlin designs too. Not so much a sequel as a parody of the first with how it pokes fun at how timezones would factor in with the "after midnight" aspect and all of Kate's relatives dying on random holidays. It'd be like if after Star Wars George Lucas went and made Spaceballs as the follow-up.

That's why I like it. They gave Joe Dante freedom to make an unnecessary sequel, and he pulled out a meta parody that goes to some absurd levels. :lol

I don't think a real Gremlins 2 would've worked, just on the notion that it would've been a "been there, done that" kind of film.

The only surprise would've been a new Gremlin monster of sort.

I am a massive Back to the Future (1) fan, but think 2 and 3, though good and enjoyable, are far from the greatness of part one. I think Rocky and First Blood are also the only "great" films of those franchises, since someone brought up Rocky. I know some folks have a soft part for First Blood Part 2, but from a dramatic standpoint it's light years behind First Blood.

That's a good point - Rocky and Rambo are both very good, rather serious films that have been overshadowed by the seemingly increasing tackiness (albeit in a great, '80s kind of way) of their sequels. When most people think of either characters, they think of the franchise as a whole, which is a little unfortunate.

Oh, and I like all three BTTF films just fine. :)

Back