Franchises that only have one great movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but masses are masses - they can't define things, only consume them.
If there's no conflict there's no value either.

Not saying there's no place for debate, but there's a line where one reasonably has to accept that something is considered "great" even if he or she doesn't like it. :)

Yeah, Darkman definitely. I haven't even seen all of the other ones with the guy that was the Mummy.

If it's counted Dumb & Dumber. I loved the 1st one but Dumb & Dumberer sucked.

The Hangover is another one.

I don't know why people can say the Noland Batman trilogy when they score 8.1, 9.0 & 8.6 on IMDB which is really impressive.

IMDB is a place where fanboys reign supreme and bump up their favorite movie, all while lowering other highly rated films.

Anyone remember the TDK as the number 1 movie of all time thing? People down voted The Godfather and whatever else was up there just to boost TDK up. :lol

Batman Begins was more a Batman film than The Dark Knight.

I don't know about that. It's a good movie. I just think TDK is more Batman than the other two and a better film.

Batman Begins is my favourite too!

But I do love the other two. Begins just has this more raw indie comic book vibe that I really like.

Arguably, TDK can be a better movie, but from a comic PoV its hard to see an argument placing TDK > BB; BB lifts much more of its material directly from the comics, especially its strong Frank Miller homages. I'm not saying its not there, but I didn't see as many comic influences in TDK.

Nolan's Batman trilogy is the Agent Smith of this forum -- infecting vaguely-related and even complete unrelated host threads so that every thread ends-up looking the same, sounding the same, fighting the same. Round and round we go.

Not sure whether to blame those that bait the hook, or those that keep biting the shiny lure.

SnakeDoc

If it's counted Dumb & Dumber. I loved the 1st one but Dumb & Dumberer sucked.

The Hangover is another one.

I don't know why people can say the Noland Batman trilogy when they score 8.1, 9.0 & 8.6 on IMDB which is really impressive.

I can see the argument where Dark Knight is the one that stands out/achieved "true greatness", though.

But yeah, not in the same spirit as, say, Alien/Aliens vs. all the others from that franchise.

I feel like the word "great" in the original post means the only film in a franchise worth owning, watching, and getting any enjoyment out of. A decrease in quality that's so bad, they're abysmal doesn't allow some of the responses you're making if you turn around say "oh but the sequels are good, just not as good." The intent is which series have horrible installments you can't sit through.

I agree, RotLA is the only GREAT movie in the Indy series, but the others are good and worth owning and rewatching to most people. Whereas Jaws 2 or Robocop 2? Not so much....

I forgot to mention PotC. I hate the sequels. Loathe them. The fourth was decent at best but I'd never wanna have to sit through it again. Te first is the only one I own.

Well based on that definition, you shouldn't ask, "which franchise has only one great movie?" but "which franchise had a bunch of ****ty movies except for one?" :D

Pirates has one really good movie. One OK movie. One bloated messy movie. And one horrible irredeemable piece of boring garbage directed someone had no business getting picked after Verbinski left.

Lord Of The Rings (FOTR)

Dirty Harry.

Magnum Force is damn good. The rest of the sequels are average films will epic quotes.

Harry "We're not just going to let you walk out of here."
Robber "Who's "we", sucka?"
Harry "Smith, Wesson and me."

Back