• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Forum Commerce Rules: EVERYONE MUST READ

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Rules for the sale/trade forum - must read!

I don't think getting rid of the FS section is a good idea, but you'd at least get rid of people who are here primarily to make a buck.

As staunch as I am against scalping, its not my goal to have it banished away by supreme beings. I just want to see the lines of communication be somewhat open.

IMO the commerce section might become a complete joke if too many people post their dream prices for their items like the one guy did with his Spiderman item.

And I don't necessarily think it not selling is enough to discourage it. Just as an example, tylerd bumped his SW collection for what seemed like a long time without lower prices.

I like the crackdown on the bumping, but maybe it can be even stricter and limit it to bumping only if the price changed or something.

Its easy to say you can pass over an item and laugh at the price, but when its bumped and bumped and bumped and bumped, well it gets annoying!

I for one would hate for the commece section to be gone. I've gotten some good deals and given them too and that would never have happened on ebay.

The only thing I don't like about the commerce section are people throwing around posts just to meet the selling criteria.:monkey1
People selling things for ludicrous prices and "give me an offer" threads don't bother me a bit. I figure if they can get what they're asking more power to them and if you don't want to put up an offer for something then don't. Simple as that.

I have to say that since I've been on the forum, I've bought and sold some items and have not had any problems. All people I've dealt with have been really awesome. It would be a shame to take away the one place we can buy/sell our collectables besides ebay. I have also picked up several of my grail pieces here on the Freaks board and would like to continue to do so in the future. I think having these rules set will help with some of the problems that have been going on....Here's to future grail purchases!!! :duff

Getting rid of the commerce section would a bad idea. I think the rules posted by Dave are more then enough to regulate most transactions. Hostility will be present in pretty much every thread as long as people have big egos and can't bring themselves to ignore other members. So leave the FS section and let's wait and see how the new rules are handled.

I don't think we need to close the commerce section. If Dave wanted to do that, he could have done so instead of trying to improve it. Clarifying and enforcing the rules shows that the commerce section is important and valuable and that we want it to stick around as long as possible, as it is a nice feature of the board when used appropriately.

Yeah, no need to get rid of it. People are going to buy PO items to scalp no matter what. It is what it is. Does it frustrate some? Sure it does but I don't see that as a reason to get rid of it but just delete that persons thread. If people feel someones price is too high just skip it and move on for in hand items.

Something another board I post on that has this same forum software for feedback raitings on selling/trading. It goes just above where the post reply is and you click on the number which shows all the trades you made as users put them in.

I think the worst mistake was leaving this thread open for conversation...... :lol

There seems to be a lot of questions/comments about the "scalping is discouraged" rule. It's a thing with me and perhaps it should be a guideline rather than a rule, but I absolutely HATE scalpers.

However as I stated in a subsequent post - we're not going to police scalping. As Lonnie pointed out - the market will determine what is scalping and what isn't.

That said, I think the pre-order rule is good and something must be "in hand" to be sold on this forum. Loki has a good point about trying to help out a fellow member with a sold out item - and it's a good thought - but why not just cancel it and let it go to the waitlist? Ultimately that's really more fair and saves you the hassle of having to re-ship. And the waitlister is probably a member too.

That said, I think the pre-order rule is good and something must be "in hand" to be sold on this forum. Loki has a good point about trying to help out a fellow member with a sold out item - and it's a good thought - but why not just cancel it and let it go to the waitlist? Ultimately that's really more fair and saves you the hassle of having to re-ship. And the waitlister is probably a member too.

I know for me I would rather it go to someone that I know and be able to help them out. A good example is a really rare item that I have on pre-order right now. I have decided to help a board member out and give it to them at cost. I guarantee you people would think I was crazy for doing it if I told you the item. However, I know that it is going to someone who will most likely never sell it. I don't have that guarantee if I give it to a random waitlister. So in a sense I feel that I am helping the best way I can.

I thought about trying to help out since i was going to have to cancel my aragorn pf and after looking into yeah it did end up seeming like it was going to be a big hassel plus you're adding another shipping cost to the item so I just ended up canceling it and hoped somebody on the waitlist would get it.

I for one would hate for the commece section to be gone. I've gotten some good deals and given them too and that would never have happened on ebay.

The only thing I don't like about the commerce section are people throwing around posts just to meet the selling criteria.:monkey1
People selling things for ludicrous prices and "give me an offer" threads don't bother me a bit. I figure if they can get what they're asking more power to them and if you don't want to put up an offer for something then don't. Simple as that.
:lecture :lecture :lecture
I agree fully with this. I much prefer using the commerce section to eBay, and there are a number of items that get sold there that don't make sense to try to move in other ways (like loose parts and custom items).

Does the section really create that many problems? It seems like at least 95% (probably more) of sales there go very smoothly, and most people seem happy with it. Why let a few bad apples spoil the bunch?

The only new rule I have any disagreement with is on having to provide a price for everything. There are times when this seems to create excessive complication, like if someone has a large number of loose accessories or if someone is specifically seeking a trade. I there really that big of a problem with having "I have this" and "I want this" lists and letting people work the specifics out?

Last edited:

:lecture :lecture :lecture
I agree fully with this. I much prefer using the commerce section to eBay, and there are a number of items that get sold there that don't make sense to try to move in other ways (like loose parts and custom items).

Does the section really create that many problems? It seems like at least 95% (probably more) of sales there go very smoothly, and most people seem happy with it. Why let a few bad apples spoil the bunch?

The only new rule I have any disagreement with is on having to provide a price for everything. There are times when this seems to create excessive complication, like if someone has a large number of loose accessories or if someone is specifically seeking a trade. I there really that big of a problem with having "I have this" and "I want this" lists and letting people work the specifics out?
No, Commerce isnt going anywhere, this talk just started a few pages ago. Do not fret we are staying put, just introducing a couple of new rules to try make it better for all involved.It is a great section and an asset imo, as you say most transactions go smoothly which is fantastic.

Listing prices for items that are for sale is essential in the FS section now i'm afraid but as far as trades go, they remain the same,just post in the WTB thread what you want and what you have and go from there,nothing has been changed with those listings.
x :peace

Listing prices for items that are for sale is essential in the FS section now i'm afraid but as far as trades go, they remain the same,just post in the WTB thread what you want and what you have and go from there,nothing has been changed with those listings.
Here's a good example of what I'm talking about: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38882

I don't see anything wrong with this type of post, and I'm hoping that the new rules don't create problems with them.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38882

I don't see anything wrong with this type of post, and I'm hoping that the new rules don't create problems with them.
Not at all, as far as I know and we have discussed the new rules at length, the trades portion of it hasn't changed.
I know nothing has been mentioned about changing anything about trades.
Hope this helps

We certainly don't want interfere with trades such as that. We're trying to get an unambiguous set of rules so there are no questions or arguments about what's allowed.

However I don't really see a problem with a "I have all this loose stuff to get rid of, what do you have for trade?" kind of post.

Re: Rules for the sale/trade forum - must read!

I like this rule. There are other "avenues" for this type of sale. :D

where are these other avenues? i personally don't like OBO adds but i did like that this place allowed them, because every other 1/6 forum i know of doesn't. i liked that it was a more open casual atmosphere here.

Re: Rules for the sale/trade forum - must read!

where are these other avenues? i personally don't like OBO adds but i did like that this place allowed them, because every other 1/6 forum i know of doesn't. i liked that it was a more open casual atmosphere here.

The "fishing" sales just clutter up the sale forum - if you want to know the value of a piece, you can always ask about it in the appropriate forum.

And there's no reason that a buyer can't come back with a lower offer to a price set by the seller.

now here's a thought...

if someone pre-orders an ultra limited piece that they want to immediately flip to maximize their profit, why wouldn't they simply make an ebay listing for that piece and post the listing in the thread specifically set up for ebay listings? that way, if a fellow member wants it that bad, the two can work out a deal on here via PMs and avoid the hassle of ebay fees. that way both parties are happy, the seller only gets hit with listing fees, and the flaming can be kept to a minimum.

now here's a thought...

if someone pre-orders an ultra limited piece that they want to immediately flip to maximize their profit, why wouldn't they simply make an ebay listing for that piece and post the listing in the thread specifically set up for ebay listings? that way, if a fellow member wants it that bad, the two can work out a deal on here via PMs and avoid the hassle of ebay fees. that way both parties are happy, the seller only gets hit with listing fees, and the flaming can be kept to a minimum.

Sounds like this breaks the whole "Pre-Order" rule.

In the end, it's still a pre-order that you are trying to flip.

I like the limited bump rule, that was getting overly annoying. :clap

Back