• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Forum Commerce Rules: EVERYONE MUST READ

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Rules for the sale/trade forum - must read!

Can someone clarify on the scalping. Example being if I have a Doom PF. I want to post it for $1500 and I think it sold for what $250 to $350 when it came out. Is that scalping? What if someone buys a faux bronze SW piece has it in hand and sells it for $150 more? Is that scalping? I think people around here are smart enough to spot a value when they see it. Who cares what people post as prices? I think people should just ignore them to begin with. I can also understand the no comment thing. This goes back to my internet policing that I loathe. If you don't like it just ignore it. I do agree that the presale of preorders is dumb. I also agree with all of the other terms. It is nice to have some firm guidelines. I just think the scalping and value are open to the seller and possible buyer. :duff

I personally think scalping should be discouraged because frankly I don't want the FS thread to be full of people asking for ridiculous prices hoping for the long shot that somebody bites.

If people are allowed to ridicule someone a little for the price they're asking, there will be less "fishing" fs threads.

Without the potential buyer's having a right to respond (and mock prices), its going to be a pain in the butt surfing through a gross amount of FS threads to find one with a legit price.

First and foremost this should be a forum for people to be friends and IMO trying to fleece friends is uncool. People looking to fleece using this forum should be ridiculed endlesslly.

If you're looking to maximize your profits, go use ebay.

I don't mean this as a warning, because most people won't care and some would be glad, but if this place turns into a place where everybody was preordering stuff they don't want to try to sell it here to someone who does want it I'm out. I'm here to have a good time, not to watch people compete to score the rare item to turn around and sell it.

IMO that behavior deserves continuous discouragement because at that point this place becomes nothing better than an online classified ad.

Last edited:

I think there are many reasons for the no Pre-sales rule. I think one of those reasons is to discourage scalping. It's been happening a lot here lately and it seems in poor taste and most members do not like this behavior. However, I think if you are actually helping a member out by offering your item at cost then this will be looked upon differently.

I think another reason selling preorders are discouraged is because a number of things could go wrong- more so than if you actually have the item in hand. This cuts out those potential problems.

But I am not the Darklord so let him speak. :duff :lol

Can someone clarify on the scalping. Example being if I have a Doom PF. I want to post it for $1500 and I think it sold for what $250 to $350 when it came out. Is that scalping? What if someone buys a faux bronze SW piece has it in hand and sells it for $150 more? Is that scalping? I think people around here are smart enough to spot a value when they see it. Who cares what people post as prices? I think people should just ignore them to begin with. I can also understand the no comment thing. This goes back to my internet policing that I loathe. If you don't like it just ignore it. I do agree that the presale of preorders is dumb. I also agree with all of the other terms. It is nice to have some firm guidelines. I just think the scalping and value are open to the seller and possible buyer. :duff

I think we will all know if someone is scalping by the remarks left in that person's for sale thread.... :lol

A lot of great new rules Dave but I do have one question regarding selling items before they are in hand.

A lot of us preorder almost everything we may be interested in knowing we can cancel without penalty from SS. Now if an item is sold out and I don't really want it anymore, why can't I offer it to a board member? I've had this happen at least a half dozen times where I kept my order and once I got my 10 day notice, posted that it was for sale and if no one took it, I'd cancel my order with SS. I honestly rarely make any money and usually offer at cost with these type of deals but I feel that they do help out other members who didn't get on the waitlist or missed out on an exclusive. So are sales like this OK or is it going to be judged on a case by case scenario?

I think if you are selling your preorder for retail (and shipping), obviously trying to help fellow board members, that is not the same as scalping, but Dave will have to make a final ruling on whether or not these will be allowed for posting as pre-sales so that people can make a decision to cancel or not, depending on if they find someone who wants it.

And dude, didnt you just try to sell your PF Spiderman for like $700+ here?

Yes, I did. I only posted that since I was only willing to part with it for top dollar. But after some controversy, I dramatically reduced the asking price to something around market value. I've finally just decided to keep it and void the hassle.... So I'm all in favor of participating in the COMMUNITY an I'm not here for profit :D

Yes, I did. I only posted that since I was only willing to part with it for top dollar. But after some controversy, I dramatically reduced the asking price to something around market value. I've finally just decided to keep it and void the hassle.... So I'm all in favor of participating in the COMMUNITY an I'm not here for profit :D

I think what happened with your for sale thread was a good example of scalping- no offense. The comments you received definitely showed that the members here did not take kindly to how you were trying to move your item at such an outrageous price. Had it been more in line with the current market value, I doubt anyone would have said a word and I bet you would have made a sale.

...If people are allowed to ridicule someone a little for the price they're asking, there will be less "fishing" fs threads.

Without the potential buyer's having a right to respond (and mock prices), its going to be a pain in the butt surfing through a gross amount of FS threads to find one with a legit price...

Ridicule and mocking of peoples selling or buying prices has never been allowed and will still not be allowed! Potential buyers can respond and ask questions, and if they feel the price is out of line, send an offer via PM, but do not derail the thread or give a hard time to the seller about the price. If it is too high, it just won't sell; plain and simple!

Ridicule and mocking of peoples selling or buying prices has never been allowed and will still not be allowed! Potential buyers can respond and ask questions, and if they feel the price is out of line, send an offer via PM, but do not derail the thread or give a hard time to the seller about the price. If it is too high, it just won't sell; plain and simple!

Exactly, thank you!!!

Look what they've done to my thread. Lot's of unnecessary comments. People know eBay, they can do a search. Also, some sellers put up a higher price, knowing that the buyer wants to haggle.

I think what happened with your for sale thread was a good example of scalping- no offense. The comments you received definitely showed that the members here did not take kindly to how you were trying to move your item at such an outrageous price. Had it been more in line with the current market value, I doubt anyone would have said a word and I bet you would have made a sale.

I think it was my rookie post #'s that flagged me as a flipper. I wasn't trying to rip anyone off. I was just posting a price that I was willing I part with this for. I just had a big attachment to it, and I'm sure you can relate to some of our pieces. And even still I got good offers. But in the end, I just decided to keep it, since I'm not in it for the money... And you guys will see this the more that time passes ;)

Also, some sellers put up a higher price, knowing that the buyer wants to haggle.

I think the new rules are to get people to shy away from the haggle. If you want to haggle I say take it to ebay. That is why people want to see clearly marked items with prices. Most don't want to haggle. :lecture

I'm still confused on the 'scalping'/'presale' thing. If I offer my Red Skull Exclusive for let's say $425 shipped instead of canceling it, is that OK?

Do I have it in hand? NO

Is it above retail? YES (but with double shipping and paypal fees I'd make what, $20) Where do you draw the line as to what is considered flipping and what isn't? How much of a percentage over what was initially paid is acceptable?

If there is a member who is willing to buy it at an inflated cost, how is that a bad thing?

Do we have to hold onto pieces for a certain amount of time before it's OK to sell them for a profit?

I think the new rules are to get people to shy away from the haggle. If you want to haggle I say take it to ebay. That is why people want to see clearly marked items with prices. Most don't want to haggle. :lecture

I've rarely ever had a piece for sale here where the buyer didn't try to get me to lower my asking price. Hell, I've had it happen about 20 times in the past week

Exactly, thank you!!!

Look what they've done to my thread. Lot's of unnecessary comments. People know eBay, they can do a search. Also, some sellers put up a higher price, knowing that the buyer wants to haggle.

Obviously people had a problem with your price- why don't you sell it on ebay then? :confused:

I think the main point is that you look like an ass when you try to get an absurd price for your piece and most people don't like being price rapped. If you have something to sell and you think most people won't like your price then quit being cheap and take your item to ebay. :lecture

That's what I do. I also don't mind when people comment on my price if it's out of line. I don't get my feelings hurt I just don't bump my thread anymore and I take my stuff to ebay.

Obviously people had a problem with your price- why don't you sell it on ebay then? :confused:

Those who had problems, don't need to look. And those people were never after a SIM. To leave my thread here or to go to Ebay is up to me. If I want to go to Ebay, I will. It's none of your concern El and why does it bother you so much? I will leave my thread active until I sell the last SIM. :peace

I just don't understand the concept of wanting to profit at all on people here. You can't think much of the friendships made here if you're looking to take their money.

Reminds me of those parties my wife always gets invited to. Her friends trying to sell her candles and crap so she can get all her crap herself for free.

If I bought something on preorder and changed my mind, the thing's getting cancelled and it goes to the next person in line and hopefully they enjoy it. I don't feel the need to profit from people I try to be friendly with. And I don't try to be friendly with people with hopes of making a profit off them.

Last edited:

Those who had problems, don't need to look. And those people were never after a SIM. To leave my thread here or to go to Ebay is up to me. If I want to go to Ebay, I will. It's none of your concern El and why does it bother you so much? I will leave my thread active until I sell the last SIM. :peace
It doesn't really bother me but it does make you look silly. :lol

Plus you might have a problem with that last part since there is a bump restriction now... :lol

It doesn't really bother me but it does make you look silly. :lol

Sure it does and I am the one who looks silly, not you. But I do appreciate your concerns.

I will leave this here and will not further more discuss those issues. Clearly, the new rules have been stated and if some of us can't follow and obey them, then perhaps some of us should leave!

I just don't understand the concept of wanting to profit at all on people here. You can't think much of the friendships made here if you're looking to take their money.

Reminds me of those parties my wife always gets invited to. Her friends trying to sell her candles and crap so she can get all her crap herself for free.

If I bought something on preorder and changed my mind, the thing's getting cancelled and it goes to the next person in line and hopefully they enjoy it. I don't feel the need to profit from people I try to be friendly with. And I don't try to be friendly with people with hopes of making a profit off them.

So does that mean you would sell a PF Hulk or Iron Man at cost to a member? :dunno

If so what do you have for sale? :D

Back