Finally Got Married!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Planning My Wedding

When my wife and I got married, we sat down and wrote out a list of what was most important to us. That's what you should do to help define what your resources should be spent on. Our list included all the things that would be the most lasting: The rings, the photos, the honeymoon. We splurged on all those things because they were the most important to us. Everything else was pretty nice too but it wasn't overly opulent. We really enjoyed ourselves and we spent our cash where it counted. We did buffet instead of serving at the table, we rented a hall that allowed us to provide our own liquor they provided the bartender and we hosted our rehearsal dinner at a local park that had great views and was quiet. That picnic saved us some cash. I designed the rings and the invites and she found a very reasonable dress that looked fantastic.

There's ways to save, just have to prioritize.

When my wife and I got married, we sat down and wrote out a list of what was most important to us. That's what you should do to help define what your resources should be spent on. Our list included all the things that would be the most lasting: The rings, the photos, the honeymoon. We splurged on all those things because they were the most important to us. Everything else was pretty nice too but it wasn't overly opulent. We really enjoyed ourselves and we spent our cash where it counted. We did buffet instead of serving at the table, we rented a hall that allowed us to provide our own liquor they provided the bartender and we hosted our rehearsal dinner at a local park that had great views and was quiet. That picnic saved us some cash. I designed the rings and the invites and she found a very reasonable dress that looked fantastic.

There's ways to save, just have to prioritize.

Thank you for taking the time to write this out. Every bit helps a lot.

I contacted another place that seems beautiful as well. It will all depend on what they offer me.

No problem.

Just have fun, don't get too overly obsessed with it but watch the details and plan the reception like a party!

Yes!!! For us the most important thing is that every looks pretty. I don't have to use the most expensive of everything. I just want the set up to be pretty, the surrounding to be nice, and the colors to be perfect. Dresses must be what we both love and well, I think the rings can easily be beautiful and inexpensive at the same time.

I will share my progress and we definitely will take as much advice as people have to offer.

Some great tips, minus city hall. Only because we really want our fathers to walk us down the isle. We want to walk down the isle. We want all of that pretty girly stuff.

I do really want beautiful wedding photos taken but I'm wondering if we should just have cameras at tables and have people take some. I don't know...Jenn probably wont like that idea so much. Lots and lots to talk about.

Some great tips, minus city hall. Only because we really want our fathers to walk us down the isle. We want to walk down the isle. We want all of that pretty girly stuff.

I do really want beautiful wedding photos taken but I'm wondering if we should just have cameras at tables and have people take some. I don't know...Jenn probably wont like that idea so much. Lots and lots to talk about.

Please don't do the cameras on the table. I think you will regret it. It's nice for "extras" but I would get someone who knows what they are doing to take shots of the wedding. Everytime I've been somewhere where they did the cameras on the table - 99% of the photos were rather poor quality - and as people drank and partied - they just got worse.

Forgot to add - that first quote you got for around $10K and all it includes - does sound like a decent price - especially if it includes alcohol - and the rate they will give you on rooms will definitely help with the family coming into town.

Please don't do the cameras on the table. I think you will regret it. It's nice for "extras" but I would get someone who knows what they are doing to take shots of the wedding. Everytime I've been somewhere where they did the cameras on the table - 99% of the photos were rather poor quality - and as people drank and partied - they just got worse.

No, it would definitely have to be bonuses. I've noticed those cameras can capture some really great moments the photographers didn't. So I think I would like to have both.

I think it's a great price too. Everything will be right there! Ceremony, reception, sleep. And it's beautiful! I know that our families will give money, I'm not worried about that at all.

So, first things first, I need to go and look at some venues. I'll keep everyone posted!

Congrats Buffy, I'm actually planning a wedding myself. Its costing us around 35k. Its crazy. I'm told location is a big part in what stuff cost. Still trying to figure out the music situation. If you have any questions feel free, best of luck.

If you have the money, and you really need to have the festivities of a mid-range gala type of event, then just go for it and don't look back... The stress of trying to find the best deal will likely wipe you out and take away some of the fun. Just ask yourself why you really need the big party? If you're satisfied with the real reasons behind it, then again, just go for it and don't look back...

P.S. Congratulations!

Hey BG, a big congrats to you and Jenn:hi5:
I wish you both all the best....:1-1:

Planning a wedding from my experiance can be very stressful and
although my wife (God bless her) did most of the organising I had to
hear about it..:gah::D
We saved a bit of money as my best man offered to pay for the
church ceremony as his gift to us. Also my aunt who is a
proffesional cake maker, contributed a free cake as her gift.

1120.jpg
1117.jpg

I had no idea about the predator & alien cosbabies until the day, my
wife organised that behind my back with my aunt..:lol
I did not expect that..:yess:
We also made our own invitations and thank you cards..Don't forget
the thank you cards..:wink1: From memory our entire wedding came to
about 30K, not including the honeymoon and was all payed for over the
year prior to our big day using only savings..
Could have bought a damn full size Terminator endo-skeleton that year...:slap

Omg that cake rocks!!! Who wouldn't love that? We have a very fun idea for wedding cake toppers and also, invitations.

To all of the congrats, thank you. And it's true. The more I try to find things cheaper, the more stressful it is becoming. Because it is taking away from the beautiful location I love, the ease of the location, etc. So I am really beginning to think that cheaper is not always better. Not if it means keeping my sanity.

I know a lot of our family members will pitch in, and we've decided to keep the wedding at around 35 or so people. Not at all over 50. We just hope that helps.

I found this beautiful location where I could have the ceremony for free. But it still leaves the reception up in the air. Planning is so, so much harder for this kind of thing than I thought. If I go the easy route, it's more expensive. The difficult route is, well, more difficult.

My fiancee was awesome enough to grant my one wish for the wedding....we're having it on a Pirate Ship. Maximum capacity is 35 so we don't have to worry about having too many people on it, but we do plan on having a wild ass reception afterwards.

I found this beautiful location where I could have the ceremony for free. But it still leaves the reception up in the air. Planning is so, so much harder for this kind of thing than I thought. If I go the easy route, it's more expensive. The difficult route is, well, more difficult.

That's great! Free is always good! :yess:

Back