FINALLY custom Batman The Dark Knight1/6 BAT-SIGNAL

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, this is completely wrong.

You could get in serious trouble with a title listing like that.

On ebay!?!

Since 2008 I've seen COUNTLESS items pop up on there with similar titles. Anything ranging from TDK legos to costumes. Now I don't know if those sellers got in trouble but I've seen a ton of those auctions. I've bought and sold and I've never seen anything on ebay stating that you can not title your auctions with known words like "Dark Knight", "custom", "Batman". Not once.

I could see this being a problem on youtube, but ebay? Ridiculous.

I say keep it up there until someone official complains. The worst they could do to you is ask you to change it.

Last edited:
I could see this being a problem on youtube, but ebay? Ridiculous.

It most definitely is a problem, regardless of what you have encountered. Just a matter of chance, risk and luck. Chances are the auction will go through without a hitch, but I have had two custom Dark KNight figure sales taken down from me and multiple auctions I have been watching have also been removed.

I say keep it up there until someone official complains. The worst they could do to you is ask you to change it.

Worst they, (WB), could do is sue for copyright infringement. But that would likely never happen, eBay would just remove the listing instead.

Man, I guess a person doesn't understand an issue until they encounter it first hand. I had no idea that copyright infringement would be a problem with an online market. Getting in trouble for something as simple as a title for an auction? Guess we learn something new everyday.

It's kind of disheartening to have to name this thing "superhero floodlight" or some other cheap, gimmicky name. It's a custom BAT-SIGNAL and a high quality one too. It really affects how this thing will sell on the market. With a description like that, some people might glance over it.

Sorry Snake, I didn't realize that it could cause such a complaint from a company. Did you complain when they took your items down or did you just let it go without question?

You could call it "1/6 custom movie bat-signal fit for batman/joker" :D

And as a curiosity question, why don't you sell them to people here, seeing as once there was a list and such?

Copyright is such a complicated area, and it's not made any easier by laws differing slightly around the globe. As far as I'm aware there are allowances for creating and selling custom, small run (possibly only one-off?) items provided they don't already exist in the marketplace - or maybe it's if by selling them you don't infringe on someone else's license...I really am not sure. With that sort of uncertainty places like eBay and YouTube err on the side of caution and respond accordingly to most requests from large companies with big legal teams. (I'm actually in favour of companies protecting their artistic rights, but that's a different story)

My point though, was that I know Warner and DC vigorously protect their trademarks, including titles like "The Dark Knight" and "Batman", and you can be sure that they have trademarked "bat-" prefixed words out the wazoo as well ("bat-signal" included) so if you want to maximise your chances of the auction staying up, it might be an idea to remove the trademarked words.

All you have to say, is that your selling in it from your own personal collection. Regardless that he made it himself or not, your allowed to sell your own stuff. So just ad that into your auction that it comes from your personal collection.

good luck
1mod6

I think a part of the problem is the word "custom" so he should remove that also :)

All you have to say, is that your selling in it from your own personal collection. Regardless that he made it himself or not, your allowed to sell your own stuff. So just ad that into your auction that it comes from your personal collection.

good luck
1mod6

Again, not true. Even if you are giving it away you could get in trouble.

Thanks a lot guys for your input. The copyright could indeed cause a problem. I went to change the title yesterday, but apparently once an auction has bids on it, you cannot change it anymore. So, I'm probably screwed if they notice it. If that happens I'm going to tell them that DiFabio made me do it so he can sell his batsignals :lol.

One more question I have is if they only check/control the title of the item or also the content/description? Snake Eater, maybe you can answer this, since you had the misfortune of having two of your items taken down.

I've also finished the batsignal and will post a few pics later in the day:).

If that happens I'm going to tell them that DiFabio made me do it so he can sell his batsignals :lol.

What if warner bros. kidnaps me and I get put away forever? No profit for either of us!

Sorry for the delay, but I didn’t like the initial set of pictures I took Monday with Elektro’s camera. Last week I received my Harvey Two-Face figure courtesy of Joe, and wanted to integrate it in the shots. But I didn’t like the way they turned out, mostly because Harvey’s collar and tie just didn’t want to stay the f down. So yesterday I spend a few hours fixing the collar and tie and re-shot everything, but this time using my brother’s camera.

The batsignal itself has a few small improvements compared to the first-batch version:
• The outer housing has been reinforced around the pivot points.
• The projector light now has a better cover plate.
• The battery compartment is now better attach and therefore allowing the battery cover to open and close smoothly.
• The side to side rotation doesn’t have a 1 millimeter clearance anymore and therefore will rotate more smoothly and not shake.
• Circuit board has been moved in to the base, making it easier to solder and preventing the issues with the remote receiver.
• Also no paint issues this time.

Working on this batsignal was more fun this time. Probably because of no pressure or deadlines. Only thing that worked on my nerves was the weather. Exactly when I was ready to start painting, the temperature dropped below the recommended painting temperature. I waited a few days, then got angry, did some thinking, improvised and painted anyways. It takes longer to dry, but it works:lol. It took me about 4 weeks (working at least 6 to 8 hours a day) to finish the batsignal. Probably could have done it in 3.5 weeks if it wasn’t for the weather:taz.

Anyway, that’s about it. Pictures are below, and if anyone missed the link, here it is again:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320434689181
Best of luck if you’re going after it. If not, I hope you at least enjoy the pics :D

1mod6__batsignal__51.jpg
1mod6__batsignal__52.jpg

1mod6__batsignal__53.jpg
1mod6__batsignal__54.jpg

1mod6__batsignal__55.jpg

1mod6__batsignal__56.jpg

1mod6__batsignal__57.jpg

Hi Blueice, welcome to the SSF board.
The batsignal project has been terminated. I will make a few more of them, but those will go on ebay. I will post a link in this thread when I have one on ebay.

Attn 1mod6,
The batsignal you have up on ebay seems like it will sell well. Do you still plan on making more to sell on there in the future? Thanks.

Attn 1mod6,
The batsignal you have up on ebay seems like it will sell well. Do you still plan on making more to sell on there in the future? Thanks.
I want to sell a few more, but I cannot guarantee when or if it will actually happen. Because there are 3 more custom TDK things I want to make and will be starting with the first one probably tomorrow. The first one is not that complex compared to the batsignal, but the second and the third are definitely more complex then the batsignal and therefor time consuming.

Nice pics - and to anyone who's thinking about bidding...

DO IT! In hand this thing is even more impressive. Trust me. Great piece.
Glad you like the pics intothevoid. And thanks for the positive words :D

I want to sell a few more, but I cannot guarantee when or if it will actually happen. Because there are 3 more custom TDK things I want to make and will be starting with the first one probably tomorrow. The first one is not that complex compared to the batsignal, but the second and the third are definitely more complex then the batsignal and therefor time consuming

Any hints at what these may be?

I want to sell a few more, but I cannot guarantee when or if it will actually happen. Because there are 3 more custom TDK things I want to make and will be starting with the first one probably tomorrow. The first one is not that complex compared to the batsignal, but the second and the third are definitely more complex then the batsignal and therefor time consuming.
:D

That sounds interesting. Then put me on your list at each of the project at number 1 :D

Back