Fewture/DiD 1/6 Fringe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I can see Olivia in there. Maybe it's the squinty eyes? But I know I'm being generous. I totally see that it's basically a generic pretty girl, but (to me) who has a passing resemblance to Olivia.

Peter? He doesn't even look human. He looks like a cartoon character or something from Tin Tin!

Cute that you named your daughter Olivia! It's a nice name. The wife okay with you naming your daughter after a woman you lust after? ;)

Even Walter isn't that great. They went WAY overboard on the texture and sacrificed capturing a better likeness for the sake of flashy detail. The real shame is that with the somewhat generic clothing these are not worth buying, even if you were going to replace the heads.

I can forgive the super-textured Walter because at least he's instantly recognizable. ;) But yeah, they should have gone softer and more charismatic - left the iron-face for Walternate.

I can forgive the super-textured Walter because at least he's instantly recognizable. ;) But yeah, they should have gone softer and more charismatic - left the iron-face for Walternate.

Actually if you apply the same criteria to the Walter sculpt that you described a few pages back (for Olivia) his sculpt would be a fail as well. Although it is recognizable and obvious who it is suppose to be, there are a lot of things that are off about it.

There was a set of heads made by SSF sculptor. I picked them up and may switch out the heads once I get them painted up.

It is Walter Bishop. It looks like the figure will come with extra clothing sets. Walter with suit, lab coat. You can go to the website I listed and view everything that comes with each figure. Just did not want to load up post with every photo.

Walter-I know who it is right away, 95%
Peter-that guy from that show,80%
Oliv-generic sculpt.50%

I only want Walter to make a LOTR custom.

Denethor of course. I would get the head for the very same thing. But will need to see it in person first.

Funny, I just saw these up for pre-order for the first time just now. Guess I need to come into "General" more often.

attachment.php

It always makes me laugh when I see people calling a sculpt awesome just because it has a lot of detail on it. Look at the attached picture of John Noble. Resize it on your monitor so it is the size of a 1/6th scale head. Most of the detail in the sculpt is way out of scale compared to his actual complexion. It almost looks like the sculptor threw up his/her hands and decided to hide their inability to totally capture the likeness by texturing the !@#$%^& out of it. I realize that is all the fad nowadays but is really that difficult to concentrate on the likeness until you get it right before going ape$#!+ on the texture? Apparently it is.

fringe-s5-cast-john-noble.jpg

attachment.php

It always makes me laugh when I see people calling a sculpt awesome just because it has a lot of detail on it. Look at the attached picture of John Noble. Resize it on your monitor so it is the size of a 1/6th scale head. Most of the detail in the sculpt is way out of scale compared to his actual complexion. It almost looks like the sculptor threw up his/her hands and decided to hide their inability to totally capture the likeness by texturing the !@#$%^& out of it. I realize that is all the fad nowadays but is really that difficult to concentrate on the likeness until you get it right before going ape$#!+ on the texture? Apparently it is.

fringe-s5-cast-john-noble.jpg

You are comparing a figure of Walternate to a picture of Walter... I know yes same actor but the brilliance of John Noble was that he acted differently with his posture and facial expressions to really distinguish the two... that sculpt without a doubt is AWESOME! That is Walternate!

308_00022.jpg10286980a2.jpg

Well the picture you posted proved my point better than the one I found. The proportions are all off. With the Walternate frown the overall sculpt is to squat. It should be longer. Anatomy is off and proportions don't match up with the reference photo. Hair is too matted down and not as curly as Walterenate reference. Be honest, you just think this is awesome because all the details make it look more "real". Which it doesn't.

Well the picture you posted proved my point better than the one I found. The proportions are all off. With the Walternate frown the overall sculpt is to squat. It should be longer. Anatomy is off and proportions don't match up with the reference photo. Hair is too matted down and not as curly as Walterenate reference. Be honest, you just think this is awesome because all the details make it look more "real". Which it doesn't.

Sorry man I am not seeing what you are, I like to think I have a good eye for likeness with having collected for so long and being very into this hobby especially with customs where likeness comes into factor a great deal, Ill give you that the face could be longer, perhaps the cheeks area and upper lip area, but as for the hair thats just sculpting to avoid problems, to make his hair more curly would make the hair perhaps more fragile and more intricate to cast. To achieve that curly flow look is just too hard in 1/6 sculpted hair. And as for it looking awesome because it looks more real, well yeah, isn't that the point? To look like the real character?

it doesn't look like the real character. That is the point I was trying to make. I have been collecting 1/6 off and on since the sixties. I have seen this hobby evolve from G I Joe and Johnny West to what it is today. I see a lot of newbie collectors here and on other forums who think over texturing a sculpt like Hot Toys tends to automatically makes a portrait a great likeness. Just because detail makes it look more "real" doesn't make it look more like the person it is suppose to represent. Take a look at more pictures of Noble and you will see how much better this could have been had the sculptor concentrated more on getting an accurate likeness instead of relying on super detail to mask the short comings.

Back