Favorite Superman Movie? (out of these)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman fave movie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I grew up with Superman The Movie, but my fave is Returns.

I grew up with Superman The Movie, but my fave is Returns.

That's a little out of the norm, but also that's kinda why i dig that perspective.

I liked Returns, sometimes i shake my head at all the people that think all these movies are absolutely horrible. SM3, Returns, Wolverine. (Returns being the best among them) None of these movies were AWESOME! But i certainly don't view them as the Cardinal sin that some do. Bad movies to me are Catwoman, Batman and Robin, Daredevil, FF etc.

For me it goes like this

STM: 10/10 (best Superhero movie made to date IMO)
Superman 2: 8.5/10 ( Donner cut 9/10)
Returns: 7/10

That's a little out of the norm, but also that's kinda why i dig that perspective.

I liked Returns, sometimes i shake my head at all the people that think all these movies are absolutely horrible. SM3, Returns, Wolverine. (Returns being the best among them) None of these movies were AWESOME! But i certainly don't view them as the Cardinal sin that some do. Bad movies to me are Catwoman, Batman and Robin, Daredevil, FF etc.

For me it goes like this

STM: 10/10 (best Superhero movie made to date IMO)
Superman 2: 8.5/10 ( Donner cut 9/10)
Returns: 7/10

Superman IV should be added to that list of absolutely horrible superhero movies ... a complete travesty of moviemaking.

I think Returns actually rounded out the trilogy of STM, SupII Donner Cut and SR pretty well.

But, I'm up for a reboot.

SnakeDoc

If I were to vote purely on story then the first movie wins, but the FX look terrible by today's standards. Now if someone could go back and redo all the FX shots and update them Superman would be the best superhero movie ever., (oh and get rid of the loius flying scene cos I hate that part of the movie)
Returns is good, but theres not enough Superman moments for me, although I do like when the guy shoots Supes in the eye.

Superman Returns was good...but just not all it could have been. Plus the son thing (while I was excited while watching the movie) was pretty lame. I have to say that my favorite part of any Superman movie was the roof scene where Superman gets shot in the eye.....very very cool.

I liked a lot of things in "returns",but when i think about it most of the things i liked were taken straight out of the originals,along with the score and using brando's scene (which i loved),so even though i liked returns it cant touch STM or SII,but like most i grew up with these so i attach a fair bit of nostalgia to them.
So its 1,2 then Returns for me,althogh some parts of 3 were ok,and number 4?........now thats some funny crap,if memory serves does Superman block a volcano with a mountian turned upside down???:rotfl:lol

I realise its blasphemous but I had to vote Superman Returns - even though that film was a let-down.

The reason? Well I didn't really watch the superman films as a child and as a result its just too obvious how dated the original films are now. Its something I can't as an adult find it in myself to get over.

I watched the Donner Superman II last night and :eek:. Apart from the Clark/Lois scenes it was awful. Its big draw on its theatrical release was no doubt the special FX scenes and they are obviously terrible looking now. And things like Zod saying ''what a strange surface'' when he lands in a lake - what???:confused:

Superman: The Movie, no doubt. I don't know what's up with the "dated" thing people speak of all the time. Yeah, visually (effect-wise) it hasn't aged as well as some other movies from the time, but then, they were making a man fly in the late '70s, obviously it's not gonna' look flawless now, but I'm not one that lets that detract from my enjoyment of a film, a movie that stands and falls with its effects is a pretty lousy movie otherwise. Superman's pretty good and holds up well (it's not The Godfather, but as the lighthearted entertainment it's meant to be I think it's good), and in my eyes the effects are acceptable enough most of the time.

Superman: The Movie, no doubt. I don't know what's up with the "dated" thing people speak of all the time. Yeah, visually (effect-wise) it hasn't aged as well as some other movies from the time, but then, they were making a man fly in the late '70s, obviously it's not gonna' look flawless now, but I'm not one that lets that detract from my enjoyment of a film, a movie that stands and falls with its effects is a pretty lousy movie otherwise. Superman's pretty good and holds up well (it's not The Godfather, but as the lighthearted entertainment it's meant to be I think it's good), and in my eyes the effects are acceptable enough most of the time.

But Superman movie are movies that rely on heavy SFX to make them enjoyable. Its part of the character. So I understand Why someone would say that dated SFX will make the movie less enjoyable.

But Superman movie are movies that rely on heavy SFX to make them enjoyable. Its part of the character. So I understand Why someone would say that dated SFX will make the movie less enjoyable.

I wasn't just talking about the FX though. The comedy villains of Lex luthor, Otis and Ms Tessmacher (sp) just wouldn't fly today, no pun intended - and indeed didn't - Superman Returns took an approach all too similar with its Lex and whoever it was Parker posey played and did we like it? No. Even the ''serious'' villains of Zod and the other two are ridiculous by todays standards. I still can't get over that line 'what a strange surface'..ITS WATER..that which is essential for all life!! I would think you've encountered it before Zod, especially on an ice planet!

Also the turning back time is one of the more stupid plot devices of Superman - it kind of renders everything that happened up to that point moot. And since there is evidently no negative consequences in doing so why doesn't Superman do it every day so that he literally can intervene in every natural disaster or terrorist incident that occurs?

For these reasons and more besides the original superman films are badly dated. Whereas Superman Returns made mistakes (usual villain, too similarly played by Kevin Spacey, same old plot, giving superman a child, too little action) and just wasn't as good as we'd hoped overall - it at least has modern special effects and one standout sequence in the plane rescue. But the original films have Christopher reeve if you wanna argue it that way.

Some silliness/playfulness (whatever one wants to call it) and lack of realism in a superhero movie? Yeah, not like we see that today at all. I don't see why everything has to be dead serious anyway, but each to their own.

Yeah!

And the more i think about it, it seems to me SR is underrated. Even if they never make another sequel to it, it'll still be a good Superman movie to me. I just hope whatever they do next Routh is back.

Back