Favorite Superman Movie? (out of these)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman fave movie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Superman the Movie

Thing is for me, Superman Returns is the better movie, but I'd happily put on Superman IV before it.

It's cheap as hell badly acted (with the exception of Reeve) but damn is it entertaining for all those reasons :lol

It's like watching Batman and Robin you can switch your brain off and laugh yourself silly.

This is a no-contest really. Superman the Movie was the best superhero movie ever and the reference until Nolan reinvented the genre with Begins/TDK.

Superman the Movie is the best one. Superman Returns didn't even try and create something new, again with the real estate scam. As for Nolan, he wouldn't have been able to make The Dark Knight without SUPERMAN THE MOVIE being as good as it was.

But on a fun level, I really loved the hell out of SUPERMAN III. When he flies across the street to save the guy drowning in his car... when your a kid, that sticks with you. The Junkyard fight was a treat. It was also the 1st Superman movie I saw in theaters as a kid. But nothing can top the Helicopter in Superman The Movie.

I honestly have never been a fan of the individual series of comics, only graphic novels like Kingdom Come, and Elseworlds, etc., but it was Christopher Reeve and Richard Donner that gave me my timeless passion for Superman.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/U83YzCXI22U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/U83YzCXI22U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/XY3dxb5OpIw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/XY3dxb5OpIw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

One of the few movies we had on the old Betamax (along with Ghostbusters, the Great Muppet Caper, and Raiders of the Lost Ark) was Superman. I watched it many times, and I still love it the best. I do love me some Zod, though.

I voted Superman 2. Superman 1 is the superior film, however I watch Superman 2 more so I guess that makes it my favorite. It's fun, has a great battle, and Terrance Stamp is brilliant.
I compare my choice to the recognition that their are far superior films to the Star Wars movies, but SW is my favorite, something I can watch hundreds of times and never get tired of. Like I would say Shawshank Redemption as far as filmmaking goes is my favorite film of all time. But my personal favorite is still Empire Strikes Back. make sense?

Superman the Movie. I really wasn't a huge fan of Superman II. Other than Zod who has become overly used in the Comics since that films I felt it detracted from the character more than added to as seen in the evolution of Superman Returns which really felt as if the characters was being forced to change to be more interesting when in actuality there is so many psychological and humanistic aspects about the Superman mythos on its own that it just needs to be treated by someone clearly sees the struggle of Kal-El being someone looking for a home and acceptance amongst having the powers of a God and avoiding the temptation to simply rule.

Superman The Movie wasn't perfect but out of the choice its the best we've had.

I voted Superman II ... mostly because Terence Stamp's General Zod was a far superior villain to Hackman or Spacey's Lex Luthor. But, I'd actually vote for the Donner Cut of Superman II over the Lester version. Donner's is a much cleaner story, and took out most of the really stupid stuff (giant cellophane "S" for instance).

Superman: The Movie, Superman II (Donner Cut), and Superman Returns actually make for a pretty good trilogy. I actually liked Superman III, and have very fond childhood memories of it -- and the "evil" Superman vs. Clark Kent fight is good. But, overall, it is pretty uninspired. Superman IV is an atrocity of moviemaking.

SnakeDoc

Back from the dead...

I can't decide if i like Donner's cut more or the regular. I guess i enjoy both for different reasons.

of those, the 1st was the best. but the best overall movies were the bruce timm animated movies.

I liked Donners cut of Superman 2 as I recall. However I still don't think we've gotten the ultimate Superman film. The original was a bit slow, the effects are dated and the comedy villains detract from it overall. Much the same applies to Superman II. III and IV aren't worth considering at all. And Returns was also slow, badly edited, used boring old Lex Luthor again and not enough of a departure from Gene Hackman's portrayal even at that...oh and it introduced an unwanted Superkid.

If you could put Reeve in the more modern, non-pyjama looking Superman Returns suit and take the special effects in Superman Returns - then put these in a film with a more serious villain, a villain who isn't played for laughs and we'd have something. You'd also need to be sure its not just a super smashup like The Incredible Hulk - Can't believe I'd hear myself say I preferred Ang Lee's one!

Obviously though we can't have Reeve again. Routh was alright - I thought he should have been given another shot but who knows what'll happen now.

One thing Returns had going for it though was the plane rescue sequence and the return of John Williams score. Whatever you thought of the rest of the film that was >>>>ing brilliant.

I liked Donners cut of Superman 2 as I recall. However I still don't think we've gotten the ultimate Superman film. The original was a bit slow, the effects are dated and the comedy villains detract from it overall. Much the same applies to Superman II. III and IV aren't worth considering at all.

What scares me, is how bad the flying scenes look in 4 compared to 1 and 2. If anything it should have looked better as they improved things, not become worse.

To some degree I quite enjoyed 4 especially the build up to Nuclear Man, but I do admit it is very cheesy.

1 and 2 is equal for me. I always loved replaying Lex and Supes little conversations over and over.

"Buh Bye California, Hello New West Coast! Otis...!!!"

Lex Luthor: Everything west of this line is the richest, most expensive real estate in the world: San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco. Everything on THIS side of the line is just hundreds and hundreds of miles of worthless desert land, which just so happens to be owned by...
[Whaps Otis with his pointer]
Otis: Uhhh... Lex Luthor Incorporated.
Lex Luthor: Now, call me foolish, call me irresponsible, but it occurs to me that a 500 megaton bomb planted at just the proper point would, uh...
Superman: Would destroy most of California. Millions of innocent people would be killed. The west coast as we know it would...
Lex Luthor: Fall into the sea.
Lex Luthor: [Gives a little wave with his hand] Bye-bye, California. Hello, new west coast. My west coast.
[Otis overlays map with new map]
Lex Luthor: Costa Del Lex. Luthorville. Marina del Lex. Otisburg... Otisburg?
Otis: Miss Teschmacher, she's got her own place.
Lex Luthor: Otisburg?
Otis: It's a little bitty place.
Lex Luthor: [Angrily] *Otisburg*?
Otis: Okay, I'll just wipe it off, that's all. Just a little town.
[Erases Otisburg]
Lex Luthor: We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Miss Teschmacher: Tell me something Lex, why do so many people have to die for the crime of the century?
Lex Luthor: Why? You ask why? Why does the phone always ring when you're in the bathtub?
[walking away]
Lex Luthor: *Why* is the most diabolical leader of our time surrounding himself with total nincompoops?
Otis: I'm back, Mr. Luthor!
Lex Luthor: Yes, I was just talking about you. ?

I went with the first. It's such an iconic film in film and comic history. As for 3 and 4 they aren't great films, but Reeve is great in them. His Superman is untouchable! :rock

For their time, superman 1 and 2 were great. 2 was better becuase it had an atual super villian, and not lex luther pretending to be this guy
snidely_whiplash.png

As he is so often portrayed in most superman tv shows and movies. ( thank god for Smallville's portrayal)

I prefered superman 4 to superman 3. Superman returns was diarrhea in film form. ( I'm sorry, it was utter crap. superman as a deadbeat dad? what the hell? Time for a reboot)
Order od preference would be ( I view 1 and 2 as one film) Superman 1 and 2, then 4, then 3, then returns. Nothing against Brandon Routh, he was great. More on returns in a min

However, my all time favorite superman movie is the recent animated one. It's not perfect, but it's the one that FEELS most like superman.
superman_doomsday.jpg

Sorry if you disagree, but superman is a COMIC BOOK CHARACTER. His movies need to reflect that. If Brian singer will give us an actual super villian in the next one, then I'll forgive him. And there are sooo many good ones to pick from
Hank Henshaw
cyborgsuperman.jpg

Mongul

mongul654inicio.gif

Brainiac
392433-73119-brainiac_large.jpg

Zod

Zod.jpg

Darksied
darkseid2.jpg

Hell, i'd even take Metallo. Please, lets potray Lex luther as he is in the comics now ( evil buisnessman who sees himself as humanities gaurdian from itself. ruthless and willing to do whatever it takes, no matter what) and not how he was potrayed over 60 years ago.

for the record, I did enjoy Spacey's Luther, but while his acting was great, his charcter was still basicly snidley whiplash. bad writing killed it for me.

Best Luther Ever IMO
0000004784_20060919230818.jpg

A Superman movie with Mongul or Brainiac would be absolutely stellar! Both are great villains with a lot of story potential, especially Brainiac! But personally I would love to see Darkseid make it to a film and in full Apokolips form, not some stupid human incarnation. I've loved that villain since I was 3 years old! And let's not forget the potential New Gods tie-in movie, I'd just about crap my pants!

Back