Executive Replicas 2001 Space Odyssey Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The height of the figure without the helmet is 12-3/4 inches. Subtract about 3/16th" for the boot heels, and you get a naked body height of 12 and 9/16th inches- just barely over 12 and a half. That translates to a life-scale height of 6 feet, 3 inches. Kier Dullea was 6 feet tall even, in 1968.
SO: You should remove 1/2 inch to make him the correct height. (1/2 inch equals 3 inches at 1:6 scale)
If you remove 1/2 inch from the legs, that might make the arms look too long... The only way to maintain correct body proportions would be to remove 1/4 inch from the lower legs, 1/4 from the thighs, then maybe 1/8th from the forearms and 1/8th from the upper arms... So maybe replacing the body is the way to go, on the Dave only.

Gary Lockwood was 6 feet 2 inches tall, so the figure of him is only ONE SCALE INCH too tall, or about 4.23 millimeters.
To me, it's not even worth it to shorten the Lockwood.

Thank you! This is very useful! I'll consider this.

New items up for pre-order at the Executive Replicas website, due 4th quarter 2016:

2001: BLACK conceptual spacesuit
2001: WHITE conceptual spacesuit
2001: GREEN Emergency spacesuit (helmet and gloves seen in film)
2001: VIOLET conceptual spacesuit (this one baffles me)
~ AND ~
2001: 1/6th scale Monolith & Lunar base, sculpted by... ME!

Last edited:
New items up for pre-order at the Executive Replicas website:
2001: BLACK conceptual spacesuit
2001: WHITE conceptual spacesuit
2001: GREEN Emergency spacesuit (helmet and gloves seen in film)
2001: 1/6th scale Monolith & Lunar base, sculpted by... ME!

Glad to see a 1:6 monolith but it seems a bit pricey for a black slab of plexiglass.

The different colored suits- really? Who cares...at $300 each it's gonna sink this line. Floyd and Pod would have kept the excitement going but THIS is what we get???

We can only hope that the "Secret Figure" is the Moonwatcher. Who else could it be?

So want the moonwatcher and Floyd. The other stuff I won't buy. If money didn't matter to me... I would probably get the green suit.
I got Bowman and Poole, skipped the blue suit, and I'll be back in when the Moonwatcher is announced and maybe Floyd. The monolith looks great, but I think I'll make my own and save the money for the others.

Last edited:
I'd like a Moonwatcher and monolith for certain I'll have to look at the other suits, but I'd really like replacement heads more than anything. That continues to be one of my few criticisms.

Well, I was interested in the monolith until I saw the price, which, admittedly, isn't completely insane considering how big the monolith is at scale. Still, I'm going to have to craft one on the cheap if I really want one.

While I'm excited that this line is going to continue, my wallet is thankful after viewing the new releases.

The monolith, black suit, green suit, and white suit look outstanding and my hat is off to anyone hard core enough to acquire and display them all. For me, my goal was to recreate the red, yellow, and blue hanging suit display and I'm thankful to be able to do that. I'm also intrigued by the possibility of the silver suit at some point.

Can someone in the know please explain or attempt to explain the Purple Pie Man suit? I mean, seriously, what's the backstory???

It's understandable that they're releasing a white and a black suit as a nod to the original spacesuit schematics, WHILE they are busy diveloping the silver Dr Haywood Floyd (and another figure which I am sworn to secrecy about.) It's not going to "sink this line", it's for hard-core collectors who like the idea of having the original schematic artwork versions, which were drawn both black on white, and white on black. As for the green suit, that was used in some edited-out scenes in its entirely, then just the helmet and gloves made it into the final cut of the film. Same target market, hard-core 2001 fans.

Don't be so hard on them- Hot Toys milks their Ironman suits into versions that have no connection whatsoever to the films, and the Star Wars Ralph McQuarrie concept figures are coming too. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. Executive Replicas (and I) are busy diveloping what I call 'the good stuff'.

Fair enough- I was hoping the Pod would be next. Thanks for the good thoughts...

For a plexiglass rectangle, $300 is absurd. And $300 for each empty suit? (not that their figure adds any value, it can't even hold a pose and has very dated sculpt) Jeez, they are out of control. They are going to price themselves out of existence.

Sean

For those of you that ordered the Kier Dullea figure from the ER website, have you received it yet? All I have so far is an order acknowledgement from when I placed the order months ago.

Yeah, the monolith at $300 is a bit pricey-- but on the other hand, it's 24 inches tall and solid. The lunar base will be solid cast resin, 20 inches wide. Instead of making the whole thing hollow and flimsy, they made it to last forever and to be a monument of sorts. It's a very limited production run, so that drives the price up too. I think a silver Clavius astronaut standing next to the monolith, maybe reaching out to touch it, will be an awesome display.

Still- A 24 inch piece of plexiglass shouldn't cost 300$. I couldn't care less about the "feeling" given by the weight of an object (if it's solid, etc). I don't need it to be heavy. Give it to me affordably and well made. Both are lacking here.

Sean

You're entitled to that opinion, but just because it isn't made the way you would personally prefer doesn't mean it isn't well made.

True. I personally won't buy it, but I would rather pay $300 for a solid quality product than $100 for a hollow piece of plastic.
...but I don't get why the suits are $300 now. Might be made in lower numbers but it's just recasts. Inflation doesn't go up that fast ;-)
...I don't think they'll sell, but I've been wrong before :)

Back