Estate of michael jackson and sony music renew 30-year relationship

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep! I'm typing on my blackberry wearing my team Edward T shirt. :rock :rotfl

hey i see you, you're about 5 people ahead of me.:D

seriously though 200mil for MJ's songs :confused::confused: i listened to MJ alot when he was a hit back in the 80's and maybe early 90's, but i'm glad the estate and hopefully kids will reap the windfall from this one.

sony's going to really get screwed with this one imo, especially with the net nowadays, with everyone downloading everything for free.

Man, this thread got off track fast :lol

seriously though 200mil for MJ's songs i listened to MJ alot when he was a hit back in the 80's and maybe early 90's, but i'm glad the estate and hopefully kids will reap the windfall from this one.

sony's going to really get screwed with this one imo, especially with the net nowadays, with everyone downloading everything for free.

Check this out...they re-released Thriller and it went to #1 on the charts in 2008. They released "This is It" containing MJ's concert rehearsal footage & it became the top selling DVD. Sony is no doubt thinking of releasing songs we haven't heard yet. Perhaps they are planning a DVD, music videos, albums....who knows. Looks like if you want to hear or see unreleased MJ stuff, Sony will be controlling it.

How's that not a smart business move?!?

its all Monopoly money when you're talking $200m.

Taking into account additional costs it will take to manufacture, market, and distribute CDs and DVDs, it will take like 50 million sales to recoup that investment. Maybe it'll happen, IDK, seems far fetched to me.

$200 mill? That's chump change!!!

Michael Jackson paid $47 million for the publishing rights to the Beatles back catalogue in 1985 and sold a share of it to Sony in 1995 for $95 million. Sony paid almost $100 mill just for a SHARE of the Beatles publishing rights. Look at how much money MJ made in 10 years on that investment. Imagine Sony's return on the MJ stuff in 10-20 years down the line. If you've ever followed Sony's investments, you'll know that they don't look at an immediate profit. Look at the Playstation 3, they were willing to lose some money now, to make alot of money down the line.

Sony probably loses several million dollars a year in between the couch cushions in their office buildings.

Also, with the "This is It" movie, Sony paid $60 million and the movie made $260 million worldwide, plus the Soundtrack has sold 5 million copies so far...
I say Sony knows what they are doing...

well considering i couldn't care less about any of the dead artists such as beatles, elvis etc. i guess they're not targeting me as a consumer.:whip

though i know there seems to be ALOT of consumers out there that will spend extra money for something that they could look a bit for and get for free. the really sad thing is that these artists have to be 6 feet under to really hit the big time.

the really sad thing is that these artists have to be 6 feet under to really hit the big time.

That's probably the funniest thing anyone has ever written on this forum. Elvis and Michael Jackson lived like royalty while they were alive. Do you honestly believe they wanted for anything? :lol

That's probably the funniest thing anyone has ever written on this forum. Elvis and Michael Jackson lived like royalty while they were alive. Do you honestly believe they wanted for anything? :lol

duh, i mean that after death their fortunes become or became more than they could of believed.

look at elvis's net worth at time of death and look at his estate now.
i don't think MJ was all that well off at the time of his death other than his BIG concert tour paycheck advance, by pretty much every report he was pretty much broke.

Back