Empire Magazine's 30th Anniversary: 30 Most Iconic films since 1989

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dark Knight only just barely makes the top 20? Ouch.

And I like Fury Road but not sure that belongs on that list.

The exclusion Harry Potter is truly baffling to me. I'm by no means a fan, but the character and the franchise are the very definition of iconic. What's ironic is that Empire is a British magazine, so you'd think they'd include Harry Potter or James Bond.

Inception also because what other film from 2010 would you pick?

It was a weak year, but Toy Story 3 came out and could arguably be the best animated movie during the run of this entire list. Also, you cite no Potter movies on the list and there was a Harry Potter release in 2010. I agree its odd not having a Harry Potter on a list of iconic movies and I'm not even a fan of the series. Either would probably fit the definition of "iconic" better than Inception, though.

It was a weak year, but Toy Story 3 came out and could arguably be the best animated movie during the run of this entire list. Also, you cite no Potter movies on the list and there was a Harry Potter release in 2010. I agree its odd not having a Harry Potter on a list of iconic movies and I'm not even a fan of the series. Either would probably fit the definition of "iconic" better than Inception, though.
Toy Story was given 1995, which makes sense, so no way a sequel was going to get a spot on the list. Not even the LOTR sequels gut in. In fact, The Dark Knight is the only sequel to a first film that qualifies within the 30 years period on the list.

Uh, Terminator 2...

Yes, but The Terminator came out in 1984, before the 30 year period, 1989 -2019. So Terminator 2 in 1991 is the first year where the franchise qualifies to be on the list. Batman Begins in 2005 is the first year it qualified, but they chose the sequel in 2008 instead.

I think some folks are missing the fact that this isn't a list of most iconic movies, but the most iconic movie of that year.

Kind of an oddly structured list though I do admit.

They just listed their top pick for each year and then posted them in chronological order.

Oh, then numbering them was probably a bad idea. Might have been better just to list by year - you number a list and people think there's a reason #1 is #1 and #20 is #20.

Oh, then numbering them was probably a bad idea. Might have been better just to list by year - you number a list and people think there's a reason #1 is #1 and #20 is #20.

Yep that totally threw me at first and it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when my first glance at the list noticed that they had Batman at #1, lol.

I think the majority of them are pretty good picks.

Even with movies you might not think are iconic, when you think back to the year they were released, they were big that year.

Bridesmaids became a massive hit and launched Melissa McCarthy's career.

Moonlight was famously the Best Picture winner, only after the wrong movie had been announced prior.

Gravity was Sandra Bullock's return movie and visually stunning.

Get Out and Black Panther took big steps forward with cultural diversity inclusion.

I think this is a pretty good list and I think the majority of people would have seen most of these movies in their lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As far as the Kill Bill discussion, I would argue that it took from iconic movies before it, not that it was iconic itself.

It kinda played like a 'best of' compilation of kung-fu/revenge pics.

I clearly misunderstood your intention.

Also pretty telling there's not one Star Wars movie on that list (out of 7 options). Telling but not surprising. All three of the OT movies would have made it for their respective year.

Funny you mention that. They just posted an "article"...if you can call it that, talking about it.

"The One that Got Away"

https://www.empireonline.com/movies...rhjCru_U2V8zjoezH__17Fk6kT0RujDCbxbmPRJSEFuNs

It's basically one of the writers from the magazine jerking off to TFA. I hope someone does the same for Harry Potter, which was more impactful and popular than SW in the 2000's and 2010's.

TFA = The frozen pizza of Star Wars films

It's basically one of the writers from the magazine jerking off to TFA.

The real TFA or the SW usurper?

8954155014734082b92987a6b4e6409c.gif

Back