What figure do you regret passing on the most?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomHero

Super Freak
Reaction score
What figure do you regret having not bought? Something you were on the fence about and passed on, and now wish you had it in your collection? Why did you originally pass on it?

For me - it's either the VTS Johnny Rico or the Hot Toys Hoth Leia.

I'm posting this because I've been playing a lot of Helldivers lately, which has rekindled my love of the first Starship Troopers movie. I didn't want that figure because I didn't know what kind of quality VTS would put out at the time. Now, I really regret that I don't have a Johnny Rico figure on the shelf dedicated for movie characters.

And I've always regretted not getting that Leia, I always liked it, but was trying not to buy second versions of figures I already had. To this day, I've only broken that rule for Obi-Wan, Luke, Anakin, Vader, and Gandalf the Grey, so I guess I'm still holding pretty strong on that rule considering I have over 100 figures. But still, I should have upgraded my ANH Leia to the Hoth one.

How about you all?

For me, it was not passing on the figures per se, but I got into collecting Black 13 Park figures too late to buy them at retail, so if I wanted them in my collection, I had to pay inflated ebay prices as well as outrageous shipping prices. Now I am really into Samurai figures, and the same thing is happening.

HT Palpatine for me. I personally wanted a more serious expression and thought they would release another version down the line but that hasn’t happened yet. :/

This is a great question -- and one that changes over time.

Right now, the only one(s) I can think of are Blitzway's Ghostbusters Ray and Egon. I did get Venkman, thinking the other two I could pick up later for less. Never happened. I know there's a new 3P option coming but I can't say those look as good as the Blitzway set.

HT Palpatine for me. I personally wanted a more serious expression and thought they would release another version down the line but that hasn’t happened yet. :/
This is also a good one - I wanted an evil, menacing expression for him. I figured one had to come eventually and bet wrong. So now he's just not on my Empire shelf. Debating that Darth Sidious to fill the void but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

I’ve only been collecting 1/6 a few years so, since deciding to make the jump from 1/12, I ordered pretty much everything I liked the look of.
As such, I’ve ended up with far more regrettable purchases than missed opportunities.
The only one that sticks out is HT Shiny Clone Trooper. It went up for PO in the overproduction era where everything was easily available at release and would likely even be discounted- so I figured I’d just grab one from TBA when it dropped.
Between PO and release, HT drastically cut back on production numbers and TBA started adding sizeable markups and, even though I saw the figure in stock, I couldn’t justify the extortionate price for such a basic, 100% reused parts figure.

Being a newby, I had to do a lot of eBay scouring to find older figures I’d missed out on.
There was a HT Grand Moff Tarkin with chair going for £275 and I skipped that only to never see him offered for less than £400 again.

In statues, I didn’t choose to skip this but I only found out about its existence once POs were sold out- Weta 1/6 Dark Queen Galadriel.

9ARy990.jpeg

I figured that I still had time left to PO this guy :slap

Still open to offers ;)

Star Wars “Solo” Patrol trooper. I have a funny relationship with this figure. I absolutely love the design (true OG design) however with such a “blink and you miss him” role in the movie, it’s just not the right fit in my collection. I did pre-order and cancelled. Funny thing is if given the opportunity of purchasing at a reasonable price (no secondary market prices), I think I would still pass.

Blitzway Ghostbusters

Hot Toys Marty P1 rerelease with Einstein

Inart Ledger Joker Deluxe

Hot Toys Keaton Batman 2.0 Deluxe

Soosootoys Ozzymandias

Soosootoys Homelander

Instead I got numerous nameless Marvels incl. dizens of Iron Man repaint HT made us believe we needed them (no illwill, as it was me who pressed the order button).

Glad I decided to rearrange the collection and refocus on what I enjoy most.
I was able to score Marty and GBs for a little over retail.

Learned a lesson here. It’s super hard to not get derailed (especially on this board) but you really should focus on collecting your priorities not just because it is mainstream.

Hm. Probably the Blitzway Fight Club 2-Pack or the BTTF2 figures for me, though honestly I regret selling off my Ghostbusters 3-Pack more than missing out on any of those. And I sold those partly because I skipped Winston and eventually realized I was never going to find one for less than a mint lol.

BTW if it makes you feel any better, I’ve had my Hoth Leia since she released and all the creases/seams of her boots have turned an ugly dirty brown color over the years from the cheap glue Hot Toys used. Always no sunlight and I keep a dehumidifier running—she’s my only figure to this day that has ever developed and issue as it aged 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've been pretty good at both only getting figures I'd really want and not letting those pass me by, but the one that got away was episode IV Obi wan. Great sculpt too.

Most recently probably Tripe Zero. I’m trying to pretend that the Artisan line doesn’t even exist. If we can include vehicles probably things like the Jazzinc Snowspeeder. It’s not so much regret though as I just can’t afford things like that lol.

InArt Gandalf. Already owned Asmus Gandalf so didn't feel like buying another one at the time. Now this figure is sold out everywhere and has shot up in value.

Hot Toys ANH Leia

Back when she was first released I was just getting into collecting Star Wars 1/6th figures. I thought it was a barebones figure with a simple outfit. Not too special. But now this is the one I want in my collection. While the sculpt isn't perfect, I like it better than the later versions which looks a bit more gaunt.

I'm keeping an eye out for one sold locally, but it's rare and very expensive.

Back