eFX Darth Vader A NEW HOPE Helmet!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by SpaceCrawler

My brother worked for Rick for years and I met Rick several times. I have photos I took in his house in 1978 of a bunch of the Star Wars aliens (cantina band, etc) he made for the film.

Sean

Would love to see those pics!! :)

I think most of them are back east with my mother. I may have a couple here, I'll see if I can find any.

Sean

Ok, I just have one shot here from Rick Baker's house when my family visited him in August 1978. I know I have more photos, but they are at my mother's place on the east coast (I'm on the west coast).

I know Rick had a few Star Wars cantina creatures at his house at the time, but again, this is the only shot I have in my possession at the moment. I took this picture:
cantina-band.jpg

Sean

I think the story behind the original Death star is more interesting. Now I am CERTAINLY NO EXPERT, but I didn't think Rick Baker made the helmet. I thought he was just brought on board to ad cantina aliens for the pic up shots done before the release of SW? I remember Lucas shot aditional footage here in the states to give the cantina more life. Guess I should reread the making of SW and perhaps check the anotated screen plays.

I think the story behind the original Death star is more interesting. Now I am CERTAINLY NO EXPERT, but I didn't think Rick Baker made the helmet. I thought he was just brought on board to ad cantina aliens for the pic up shots done before the release of SW? I remember Lucas shot aditional footage here in the states to give the cantina more life. Guess I should reread the making of SW and perhaps check the anotated screen plays.

Yes, that's the story. Rick was hired to "spice up" the cantina.

Rob Bottin, makeup artist who headed up John Carpenter's The Thing and friend of Rick at the time, played one of the Cantina band members (the "drummer" guy I believe).

Sean

That's interesting about Bottin. Makeup expert on Robocop as well. Don't know who's the best. Baker, Wrightson or Bottin.(of course thats just MHO) Although, offhand I don't know a hole lotta movies that Bottin did. But thats another discussion.

I thought the orginal helmet was mad in england?

That's interesting about Bottin. Makeup expert on Robocop as well. Don't know who's the best. Baker, Wrightson or Bottin.(of course thats just MHO) Although, offhand I don't know a hole lotta movies that Bottin did. But thats another discussion.

I thought the orginal helmet was mad in england?

As far as I know the Darth helmet was made in the UK.

Bottin started as working for Rick Baker. He did The Howling (his first major film on his own after leaving Rick Baker's shop), then moved on to The Thing and a few other fairly known films in the makeup world before basically vanishing. My brother worked with both Rick and Rob at times during his career, then later headed up the makeup dept at Lucasfilm.

Sean

And just remembered he did Legend. I think his work on Carpenter's The Thing is still the most disgusting, realistic looking stuff I have ever seen on film.

Anyone know who is actually at eFX anymore? I was writing an email to Amy to congratulate her on the newfound buzz and her email came back no user of that name? Anyone know if she is still there? Or Bryan?

Amy left last year to pursue a completely different career (cooking, I think). Bryan is still there, though.

Back