eFX Darth Vader A NEW HOPE Helmet!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About freaking time!!! This is one collectible I have been waiting FOREVER to own. Looks like Ill be throwing my MR ROTS helmet up on ebay real soon. Bye Bye MR ROTS helmet, dont let the door hit ya...

Last edited:
GINO shared some insight (and good news) on the RPF:

Hey Vader fans!

I've been fortunate enough to be involved with this project from the beginning and I can say with full confidence that 99% of the hardcore Vader fans will be very pleased.

Why am I so confident? Because I'm working on it of course. :lol I'm totally just kidding.

Seriously though, here's why.

I can't think of any other helmet in SW licensed replica history (besides the MR ROTS Vader) that has this level of pedigree and this clear of lineage. eFx was given access to the 1977/78 Rick Baker mold that resides in the LFL archives to create a master pattern that will be used in the production of these replicas. Not just photos, not a laser scan, but an actual physical casting out of a silicone mold! This is pretty special as far as licensed pieces are concerned.

As far as the master pattern goes, I can assure you, only MINIMAL clean up was performed. Most of you guys know how particular I am when it comes to this.

In other words, all the physical features of the original helmet will be present with the exception of some of the minor topical blemishes.
While the fanatics like myself and a handful of others may like to see that level of minutiae on our personal replicas, they simply would not fly for the greater majority of consumers.

Rest assured, I cleaned up ONLY what was absolutely necessary. The master pattern is EXTREMELY close to the screen used helmet. You will love it.

In addition, eFX intends on producing two versions of this helmet. One with an idealized paint job (i.e. painted with a spray gun) and a limited edition version with a super screen accurate hand brush painted paint job. How sweet is that?!

I think it is super cool of eFX that they are willing to bring a replica with this level of accuracy to market. It is clear that they doing their best to cater to as many people as possible while making as few compromises as possible.

You'll see painted prototypes of both versions for Comic Con.

Finally, a respectable ANH Vader helmet replica will be available to the masses.

:panic:

Can't wait to see the prototype(s) at SDCC! :rock :rock :rock

In addition, eFX intends on producing two versions of this helmet. One with an idealized paint job (i.e. painted with a spray gun) and a limited edition version with a super screen accurate hand brush painted paint job. How sweet is that?!

Oh my! :thud:

You'll see painted prototypes of both versions for Comic Con.

Attendees, please take some great photos for us so we can see the detail and differences between the two paint jobs. :pray:

How long is the layaway plan for, cause I'm digging this pretty bad. It just may be my first...and last...venture into the high end world.

This makes me glad I skipped out on the overpriced ROTS helmet. I haven't bought something from eFX in a while but this will bring me right back in! :D

Just a quick note- Rick Baker was only involved briefly with Star Wars, doing mainly the cantina aliens. But in 1978, Rick was asked to make the bottom of C3p0's feet, and I believe a Darth helmet, for the appearance and footprint ceremony at Grauman's Chinese theater. So this might be what this helmet mold is (if it's attributed to Rick Baker)- a cast off the original but made for the Grauman's Chinese theater footprint thing.

My brother worked for Rick for years and I met Rick several times. I have photos I took in his house in 1978 of a bunch of the Star Wars aliens (cantina band, etc) he made for the film.

Sean

I like your sentiment. :D

I never really liked the hand painted look that shows up in many scenes throughout ANH, and always felt Vader's suit and helmet would have a more machined look to them. But I also understood the limitations of production during the initial shoot.

This makes it easier for me to go for a regular one of these.

GINO shared some insight (and good news) on the RPF:

:panic:

Can't wait to see the prototype(s) at SDCC! :rock :rock :rock

So is this "Arrogant Gino"?
The guy who claims he's the only capable person in the world to create mass produced Star Wars replicas?... he works for eFx now?....

I mean, he's a great artist and all, but I'm curious to see if he'll be able to keep that level of "detail" once it's mass produced...

So is this "Arrogant Gino"?
The guy who claims he's the only capable person in the world to create mass produced Star Wars replicas?... he works for eFx now?....

I mean, he's a great artist and all, but I'm curious to see if he'll be able to keep that level of "detail" once it's mass produced...

:rotfl Ha Ha I remember that guy.

Back