Ebola scaring anyone?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who's afraid?

• Yes

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 65 68.4%
  • Whatever

Votes: 12 12.6%

• Total voters
From what I heard, Ebola is relatively easy to spread? Is it all bodily fluids or just blood or body waste that makes it contagious?

It's all bodily fluids, so the concern for bystanders is with infected sweat and saliva making direct contact (ie it's not an airborne virus) with an open wound or mucous membranes. In other words, infected fluids from another person have to get into your body through physical contact.

I find it stupidly ironic that this deadly disease has been around for so long that it isn't until now that the govt decides it's a good idea to start putting effort into finding a cure now that the disease is capable of making it out of indeginous countries. It's dumb luck that the Libian man didn't effect everyone else on the plane he was on, as far as we know anyways.... Another typical example how our lousy governments are at work. Let's not do anything until it's a real problem or better yet, until people start dying.

The US has been working on a vaccine/cure for years. There's just so many strains and it changes, that it's not an easy task. Plus the testing takes such a long time. They have some promising things though.

Previous strains have been more fatal, so it spread less easily. To be brutally honest, nobody cares much about poor dying black people. They're poor, they're remote and they have plenty of other things to worry about, like water-born diseases and malaria and AIDS. Ebola is relatively difficult to spread to others, so the only person on that plane who might've been concerned would've been the person sitting next to him.

What makes this strain a concern is the relatively low mortality rate. The next few months will be telling in how easily it travels. But whilst it's contained within Africa... I don't care any more or any less about it than I do other exotic, rare diseases.

I think people care, it's the countries that they're in that doesn't help matters any. As you've stated before.

More infectious than HIV (really, really hard to catch), but not by much.

to me, that's pretty alarming to think about. Apparently this Texas guy was in contact with children. All it takes is a infected person to not wash their hands, get some pee on their hands after going to the bathroom, and touch god knows what. And we all know how bad most children are at washing their hands. If it were just blood and sexual fluids like HIV, I don't think it would be nearly as bad.

The US has been working on a vaccine/cure for years. There's just so many strains and it changes, that it's not an easy task. Plus the testing takes such a long time. They have some promising things though.

didn't someone come up with something pretty good recently? I don't think it's a coincidence now that the virus is a bigger threat to the outside that a pretty good vaccine all of a sudden comes about rather quickly.

to me, that's pretty alarming to think about. Apparently this Texas guy was in contact with children. All it takes is a infected person to not wash their hands, get some pee on their hands after going to the bathroom, and touch god knows what. And we all know how bad most children are at washing their hands. If it were just blood and sexual fluids like HIV, I don't think it would be nearly as bad.

didn't someone come up with something pretty good recently? I don't think it's a coincidence now that the virus is a bigger threat to the outside that a pretty good vaccine all of a sudden comes about rather quickly.

They had it and it was going through testing and FDA approval. They now want to speed that up. Sometimes new drugs and vaccines take years to go through all the tests and channels. For one thing from what I've read, they don't want to make things worse by giving an under tested drug too soon.

I thought the vaccine that is out is not FDA approved? How can we know how long a drug has been in a experimental phase?

I think people care, it's the countries that they're in that doesn't help matters any. As you've stated before.

I was being flippant, but it is a reality of sorts... Africa has so many problems it's hard to care more about someone dying of Ebola than, say, diarrheoa or siphilis or malaria. Ebola is a 'great' media story, and people should be vigilant as to how it spreads beyond African borders in the coming months - but we shouldn't throw persoective out the window, that only generates a mind of ridiculous panic.

Did things change? I can't believe he wasn't quarantined pre-flight. How many people would he have come into contact with in those 5 days?!

Ebola is not contagious, until the person starts experiencing symptoms. This guy was fine on the flight and didn't get sick until 4-5 days after the flight. However, there were 2-3 days where he was contagious and the CDC and authorities are trying to find all the people he came into contact with during those 2-3 days and monitor them for symptoms. Wouldn't be surprised if one or more family members develop symptoms in the coming days.

Last I read the vaccine is or will be testing human trials very soon, so by the end of this year or early next year it should be ready for production. Its being rushed through at an accelerated pace for obvious reasons. In the interim they just need to maintain control. Thank god its just Ebola...

Ebola is not contagious, until the person starts experiencing symptoms. This guy was fine on the flight and didn't get sick until 4-5 days after the flight. However, there were 2-3 days where he was contagious and the CDC and authorities are trying to find all the people he came into contact with during those 2-3 days and monitor them for symptoms. Wouldn't be surprised if one or more family members develop symptoms in the coming days.

They said on the news here that he would only be contagious if he were feverish, which he wasn't. But then again, it's the media we're dealing with and who knows who's right. This is the story of the day it seems. I guess it takes the view off of ISIS, which worries me a lot more.

Back