DX09 KEATON BATMAN: residue in abdominal area, has yours shown signs of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given it's already been proven that there were leaks with every single run of the figure, from the initial Asian release through the DCD run, I wouldn't trust that to be true at all. It also begs to question why they're being sold off if they're leak free? We've seen several freaks here sell off (via the forums or ebaY) what they claimed were "leak free" DX02 figures that... surprise!!!.... wound up being leaky. :lol

This is pretty funny, just got it from Hot Toys CS, but at least they are acknowledging the DX02 thing I guess::lol

"....Since the oil problem we had experienced in DX 02, the problem has been highly concerned and we have been trying to fix it for the following similar project. Thus we had improved the technique on developing the rubber suit after the DX 02 project. By experimenting the quality of rubber that with the significant amount of time we spent . There should not be any oil emerging problem on the new DX 09 suit.

However, we have a little suggestion that to try to wipe the emerging place with a wet towel and see if the problem has solved...."

I mean, I thought it was good of them to reply to my mail and I don't want to be disrespectful, but if it definitely won't leak, why suggest wiping it with a damp towel?
:lol

We've seen several freaks here sell off (via the forums or ebaY) what they claimed were "leak free" DX02 figures that... surprise!!!.... wound up being leaky. :lol

I think I was the only person to sell an admitted leaky DX Batman. Everywhere else was apparently a leak-free DCD batch....it just didn't seem probable.

This is pretty funny, just got it from Hot Toys CS, but at least they are acknowledging the DX02 thing I guess::lol

"....Since the oil problem we had experienced in DX 02, the problem has been highly concerned and we have been trying to fix it for the following similar project. Thus we had improved the technique on developing the rubber suit after the DX 02 project. By experimenting the quality of rubber that with the significant amount of time we spent . There should not be any oil emerging problem on the new DX 09 suit.

However, we have a little suggestion that to try to wipe the emerging place with a wet towel and see if the problem has solved...."

I mean, I thought it was good of them to reply, but if it definitely won't leak, why suggest wiping it with a damp towel?
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:rotfl

Same advice they gave with the DX02. I'd say that's as close as we'll get to an admission that they don't really know what's causing it and haven't fixed the issue.

I think I was the only person to sell an admitted leaky DX Batman. Everywhere else was apparently a leak-free DCD batch....it just didn't seem probable.

:exactly:

I sold one on eBay as a leaker that had stopped leaking :lol
I provided full pics and everything. Buyer hasn't complained so I assume it's still leak free

I mean, I thought it was good of them to reply to my mail and I don't want to be disrespectful, but if it definitely won't leak, why suggest wiping it with a damp towel?
:lol

Well, I didn't really read "definitely" in there. But that they have focused on the deterioration issue, and had believed they were successful.

I suppose if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, this oil may not be from deterioration, but perhaps leaking through the suit of the oil they use to put it on (that's the only other oil there could be here). I know that's probably one of those things people said on the DX02, and I don't want to play naive about it. But, we will have to keep an eye on the progression of the issue to see what effect, if any, the leaking will have on the rubber suit itself.

For what consolation it is, the similarities we're seeing to the DX02 problems, doesn't quite yet indicate this will be a repeat of that disaster.

BTW Rory, has the oil continued to show up on yours? I know you said you wiped it off earlier, and it came back. Have you wiped it off any more since?

Same advice they gave with the DX02. I'd say that's as close as we'll get to an admission that they don't really know what's causing it and haven't fixed the issue.

So, they were saying the same stuff on the DX02? I'd like to think they have been working on this rubber issue like they say. Like I said earlier, only time will tell what the full effects of this will be on the figure. Plan for the worst and hope for the best, and all that....

It is interesting to read that they were trying to make improvements to the process they use to make these suits (Thus we had improved the technique on developing the rubber suit after the DX 02 project). That seems to indicate this figures suit is more or less made of a newer version of the same material used in the previous leaky suits. Not an encouraging point....

Last edited:
I sold one on eBay as a leaker that had stopped leaking :lol
I provided full pics and everything. Buyer hasn't complained so I assume it's still leak free

I wonder when mine would have stopped. At time of sale it was still pumping out the oil, mainly from the 4 stomach plates but also to some extent higher up the torso aswell if I left it alone long enough. Gotta say though it still looked in good shape. I only had a slight suspicion that the surface of the plates were looking a little scaly if viewed at a certain angle to the light.

So, they were saying the same stuff on the DX02? I'd like to think they have been working on this rubber issue like they say. Like I said earlier, only time will tell what the full effects of this will be on the figure. Plan for the worst and hope for the best, and all that....

It is interesting to read that they were trying to make improvements to the process they use to make these suits (Thus we had improved the technique on developing the rubber suit after the DX 02 project). That seems to indicate this figures suit is more or less made of a newer version of the same material used in the previous leaky suits. Not an encouraging point....

It doesn't indicate anything more than they think they stopped the issue with the DCD run which we already know to the contrary. Again, what we're seeing here is verbatim what happened with the DX02. People reporting the exact same symptoms and others telling them they're crazy and overreacting. Their reply to Rory says everything. And really, what is their incentive to even fix the issue? Bandwagoning, blind fanboys will still ensure that this figure sells out either through refusing to admit that there's an issue, or those fully content to pay $250 and live with it. What does that say to HT? "Oh, there must not be an issue, and if there is, it's clearly not that bad at all."

I wonder when mine would have stopped. At time of sale it was still pumping out the oil, mainly from the 4 stomach plates but also to some extent higher up the torso aswell if I left it alone long enough. Gotta say though it still looked in good shape. I only had a slight suspicion that the surface of the plates were looking a little scaly if viewed at a certain angle to the light.

It wouldn't have. We already know this. Likely Void slowed down the leaking and by the time the winner of the auction started experiencing it again, he'd already left feedback. That's no slight on Void, it's just what we know from what we've already seen.

It doesn't indicate anything more than they think they stopped the issue with the DCD run which we already know to the contrary. Again, what we're seeing here is verbatim what happened with the DX02. People reporting the exact same symptoms and others telling them they're crazy and overreacting. Their reply to Rory says everything. And really, what is their incentive to even fix the issue? Bandwagoning, blind fanboys will still ensure that this figure sells out either through refusing to admit that there's an issue, or those fully content to pay $250 and live with it. What does that say to HT? "Oh, there must not be an issue, and if there is, it's clearly not that bad at all."

Well, you lived through the DX02, so I defer to your experience on their reactions to this figure's problems. That said, there seems to me to be a number of incentives to fix the issue though.

1. These issues cause friction with your retailers and distributors. There's a tangible expense to larger scale customer service issues, return shipping costs, etc.

2. As with the distributors, HT incurs customer service expenses when having to address large scale issues like this.

3. Replacements. Didn't HT do limited replacements on deteriorating DX02 bodies? This couldn't have been inexpensive.

4. Customer confidence. Yes, they may have sold out of the DX02 and this figure looks pretty good for that as well. But, this sort of issue erodes away at customer confidence. Eventually there's a cost to that as well.

5. Competitive advantage. QC issues like this allow an in for competitors to gain an advantage in the market. If someone uses that advantage, HT could lose market share fairly quickly.

There's incentives to fix the issue. I think we'd be a little too hard on HT to assume they haven't been trying to solve the problem, and simply tell us that to make us feel better. How hard they're working is anyone's guess though. If this ends up like it appears, another DX02, they either inept or not really trying very hard. I'd be disappointed in either one.

To be very very honest, the Batman Begins/Bruce Wayne has its own share of issues.

If you desperately want a figure, this 89 Bats would still be the one i'd go for. Unless you are like me and prefer the Nolan films, in which case go for the BB version (yeah it also has issues like broken ankles but at least it wouldn't melt away :lol )

Man, the selling price in eBay is ridiculously high. Is the medicom batman any good? Arhh. I am still tempted to buy the 89 batman. But strangely, when I emailed my local store, they told me they had stocks and told me to go down anytime. However, when I asked them about the oil problem, they replied the next day telling me it's sold out.

Man, the selling price in eBay is ridiculously high. Is the medicom batman any good? Arhh. I am still tempted to buy the 89 batman. But strangely, when I emailed my local store, they told me they had stocks and told me to go down anytime. However, when I asked them about the oil problem, they replied the next day telling me it's sold out.

Huh. Odd. If you're nearby, you could always go there and see if they have the figure after all.

Huh. Odd. If you're nearby, you could always go there and see if they have the figure after all.

I had been pretty busy lately, That's why I emailed them to make sure there was stock 1st. Anyway, is medicom or enterbay making TDKR 1/6 figures? I am abit afraid of hot toys now.

I had been pretty busy lately, That's why I emailed them to make sure there was stock 1st. Anyway, is medicom or enterbay making TDKR 1/6 figures? I am abit afraid of hot toys now.

EB is only making a 1/4 figure of Batman Begins suit and Joker so far

HT is surely going to make 1/6 of TDKR Batman, remains to be seen if they actually improve on the DX02.

Medicom I would say is likely to make a 1/6 TDKR Batman too - their 1/6 TDK Batman is a really nice figure

Well, you lived through the DX02, so I defer to your experience on their reactions to this figure's problems. That said, there seems to me to be a number of incentives to fix the issue though.

1. These issues cause friction with your retailers and distributors. There's a tangible expense to larger scale customer service issues, return shipping costs, etc.

2. As with the distributors, HT incurs customer service expenses when having to address large scale issues like this.

3. Replacements. Didn't HT do limited replacements on deteriorating DX02 bodies? This couldn't have been inexpensive.

4. Customer confidence. Yes, they may have sold out of the DX02 and this figure looks pretty good for that as well. But, this sort of issue erodes away at customer confidence. Eventually there's a cost to that as well.

5. Competitive advantage. QC issues like this allow an in for competitors to gain an advantage in the market. If someone uses that advantage, HT could lose market share fairly quickly.

There's incentives to fix the issue. I think we'd be a little too hard on HT to assume they haven't been trying to solve the problem, and simply tell us that to make us feel better. How hard they're working is anyone's guess though. If this ends up like it appears, another DX02, they either inept or not really trying very hard. I'd be disappointed in either one.

If sales indicate your product is a hit, it's sold out everywhere and despite QC claims is fetching ridiculously absurd prices on ebaY, why would you change a thing?

Again, the company didn't even deal with the issue until embarrassing pics were being spammed on their FB page. And then, they switched their page to company updates only and handled everything "hush hush," made customers jump through hoops, refused customers who bought from ebay (which excluded every US customer who didn't purchase it through DCD) and only allowed a single replacement regardless of whether or not you provided them with a receipt showing multiple purchases, and even those replacements leaked. HT was able to sweep it nicely under the carpet because overall, in the end, the figure was still a financial success.

It's believed that the only reason changes were even made to the DX02 is because the issues were leaked to DCD and they didn't want to lose the license. While admittedly that's speculation, it's highly probable.

EB is only making a 1/4 figure of Batman Begins suit and Joker so far

HT is surely going to make 1/6 of TDKR Batman, remains to be seen if they actually improve on the DX02.

Medicom I would say is likely to make a 1/6 TDKR Batman too - their 1/6 TDK Batman is a really nice figure

Oh. Cool! I will probably get the medicom version instead. Don't wanna risk spending 200 + on a figure that might cause a hassle.
Nice! Enterbay is gonna do a BB figure. But 1/4 is gonna look weird with my other 1/6 figures. Haha.

Wow.... so they respond with "if it leaks wipe it off" again. Thats it??

Doesn't sound like they've put any work in truly addressing whatever aspect of production is causing problem. Seems HT has just been taking stabs in the dark for a corrective new method providing no certainty of a solution... but they certainly want our money and a lot more of it this go around!

I hope most (of course not all) seize this opportunity to collectively make statement. I encourage cancel and return on a massive scale. It doesn't matter how many a leaking, how many are not sure, how many aren't at all (yet). Ample time for research and development teams to get this right and if it aint right for ALL, it aint right for any! We've just heard it direct from them "it shouldn't leak but..just wipe it clean" that's bull____! They're admitting right there that the same problem with the DX02 is still a possibility with this figure. Not to mention pics in this thread provide firm evidence! Now if you'll excuse me Im gonna go cancel my Batmobile preorder too!

This ____ is stupid.

Wow.... so they respond with "if it leaks wipe it off" again. Thats it??

Doesn't sound like they've put any work in truly addressing whatever aspect of production is causing problem. Seems HT is rather taking stabs in the dark for a corrective new method providing no certainty of a solution... but they certainly want our money and a lot more of it this go around!

I hope most (of course not all) seize this opportunity to collectively make statement. I encourage cancel and return on a massive scale. It doesn't matter how many a leaking, how many are not sure, how many aren't at all (yet). Ample time for research and development teams to get this right and if it aint right for ALL it aint right for any! We've just heard it direct from them "it shouldn't leak but..just wipe it clean" that's bull____! They're admitting right there that the same problem with the DX02 is still a possibility with this figure too. Not to mention pic in this thread provide firm evidence! Now if you'll excuse me Im gonna go cancel my Batmobile preorder too!

This ____ is stupid.

That only works if you're still within the return/exchange window. Most will start leaking after that has expired. :monkey1

Back