DX09 KEATON BATMAN: residue in abdominal area, has yours shown signs of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You forgot to mention those simply not having an issue with it. Not saying there may not be a problem, just saying not everybody is experiencing it. Simple as that. Same as with every other product ever made. Some have problems with it while others don't and looking at the list those seeing oil compared to those that don't will give you a little clue as to how it may affect sales.

While the one I have now is trouble free the one I get from AE may be a greasy mess. Who knows.

I think pretty much all the original DX02 sets ended up with oil problems though, didn't they? I got one of the replacement plastic bodies at the time from HT, which seemed ok, but I stopped looking!
Thing is these are mass produced, so the chances of it being a small isolated issue seems unlikely?

Unlikely unless there's more than factory or production line with slightly different materials or processes

Which in itself is unlikely

The environment they are displayed in could be playing a role in slowing down or speeding up the chemical reaction, the humidity level, temperature etc

I just got quite an interesting mail from HT.
In it they acknowledge the DX02 problem, I haven't seen them doing this before publicly.
More later..

:(

Chalk him up Fabio

1332928776693.gif

So far 8 figures from 7 collectors have checked and claimed that they have experienced oil secretions,

1. Rory (1st Batman)
2. Rory (2nd Batman)
3. The Boot
4. CollectorNC
5. King Darkness (I think)
6. schokolade
7. MR Regan (wiped off/pics don't contain oil)
8. Master Wayne

2 figures/2 collectors are unsure if it's oil or simply tape residue from the glue of the belt (left side around magnet),

1. Maglor
2. UltraMarknus

33 collectors have checked and claimed to have not had signs of oil so far,

1. Myself
2. Jye
3. Evilface
4. Batty
5. PJW
6. Custo
7. highlander1
8. zeelhar
9. IrishJedi
10. Cocoboloboy
11. Karnis
12. preeny101
13. mikericm
14. Natrix
15. Guyver (If anyone had oil I thought for sure it would be this guy)
16. tommyh84
17. cr0w
18. T-?
19. Mr. EcKo
20. DGTWoodward
21. Crimsonbob
22. MaulFan
23. Michael Crawford (Very first figure to be opened, January)
24. OMG (Very first figure to be opened, January)
25. Remy
26. Guinnessfan
27. MarfMaster
28. Jedster
29. klocket
30. AARON691983
31. swo77
32. Butters
33. soundwave

I've checked facebook, onesixthwarriors and a few Asian message boards but so far, we freaks are the only ones that seem to be experiencing/reporting problems. I'm sure that will change once more collectors become aware.

List updated.

Unlikely unless there's more than factory or production line with slightly different materials or processes

Which in itself is unlikely

The environment they are displayed in could be playing a role in slowing down or speeding up the chemical reaction, the humidity level, temperature etc

Don't forget that Hot Toys has grown substantially over the years. We don't know what their output is or how they're getting their so I wouldn't be too quick to assume that having more than one factory or production line is beyond them. This isn't that small shop that we saw making those Tumblers on the assembly line.

Lets remember these huge quantities of Superman, Jack Sparrow and now Batman also the fact that they've taken on all these products, new and rerelease. Even though they have yet to prove that they can handle such a large variety of different items, they certainly seem to be up to the task. It would be impossible to produce what they have taken on without multiple avenues of production.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Hot Toys has grown substantially over the years. We don't know what their output is or how they're getting their so I wouldn't assume that having more than one factory or production line is beyond them.

Lets remember these huge quantities of Superman, Jack Sparrow and now Batman.

Yes this is a good point.

I think pretty much all the original DX02 sets ended up with oil problems though, didn't they?....<snip>

On that, I have had a DX02 from release date so I checked it a couple of days ago and it shows no oil/residue/anything and is as dry as a bone, so not quite all are affected...

...though from how folks have talked about it, I am very much one of the vast minority.

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I had wanted to buy the batman 1989 till I saw this thread. Now I am in a dilemma as to whether I should get this. Do you all think medicom batman dark knight original costume for us 175 worth it? Or anyone knows where to find hot toys batman begins/Bruce wyane at a reasonable price? I don't own a batman and really wants one.

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I had wanted to buy the batman 1989 till I saw this thread. Now I am in a dilemma as to whether I should get this. Do you all think medicom batman dark knight original costume for us 175 worth it? Or anyone knows where to find hot toys batman begins/Bruce wyane at a reasonable price? I don't own a batman and really wants one.

To be very very honest, the Batman Begins/Bruce Wayne has its own share of issues.

If you desperately want a figure, this 89 Bats would still be the one i'd go for. Unless you are like me and prefer the Nolan films, in which case go for the BB version (yeah it also has issues like broken ankles but at least it wouldn't melt away :lol )

Last edited:
Damn it, I like the way I have my cape posed, now I have to go mess that up to check for oil again. :gah:

His belt is staying off permanently, as if he went out crime fighting after eating a big meal and the belt was too tight making him uncomfortable.

Yeah, that works.

I see oil under belt reports and I removed mine yesterday but didn't see any. My oil was on the right shoulder. How many others out of the 8 have had the oil there?

Don't bother with the chicken littles. Get the 89 Batman now.

About 1/5 of the figures checked in this thread report some kind of residue or "oil". Whether this will indeed become a problem remains to be seen. We don't even know if those noted will begin to breakdown ala Comedian. Maybe, maybe not. We simply do not know.

Then again, I do forget how many resident chemists and urethane experts we apparently have here. :lol

So... I too have now discovered the dreaded oil beneath the belt on my DX09. Unlike the thinner oil on my DX02, this was a thick, sticky, oil-like substance which was difficult to wipe away and left a bit of a shine even after being cleared away. For now, the location seems to be isolated to the right side of the abdomen, beneath the magnet/tape strip. I've left the belt off until I decide what to do or this thread provides any insight. What a joke.

I'm just too bummed to even complain right now. I'll save my rant for later I guess. ____ing Hot Toys.

You sure this isn't the tape residue that has been talked about, in tandem with the oil?

It would be a crying shame if the problem appeared or worsened a year later. Hopefully that's not the case. I see plenty of TDK DX Bats being offered recently without oil issues that give me hope.

Given it's already been proven that there were leaks with every single run of the figure, from the initial Asian release through the DCD run, I wouldn't trust that to be true at all. It also begs to question why they're being sold off if they're leak free? We've seen several freaks here sell off (via the forums or ebaY) what they claimed were "leak free" DX02 figures that... surprise!!!.... wound up being leaky. :lol

I checked mine this morning. I've had him about a month. What I'm seeing is a faint, partial and slightly shiny shape that matches up pretty much with the tape on the magnet. In my case I don't believe it's oil. I think it's tape residue.

J

Back