DX09 KEATON BATMAN: residue in abdominal area, has yours shown signs of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that this isn't going to be a huge ____ storm. If it isn't, I hope you get some replacement Batmen that don't leak, Rory. If it is, I 100% agree with you; Hot Toys has shown that they're trying to make that 89 Batmobile something special. If they don't address or fix this Batman, that may very well put a damper on people's excitement, and it may cause some to rethink purchasing both Batman and the Batmobile.

Regardless of a Batmobile even coming out. I believe that this figure is a masterpiece, and that, if this does turn into a widespread issue (and even if it doesn't), they should handle it properly. People want to sit back and enjoy these things, not tense up and worry about if they're going to rot. An issue like this compromises the integrity of both the figure, and all of the work that HT clearly put into making this figure great. It could be good PR if they fix this, between the delays and the other QC fiascos, they need the fans with them on this one.

because the waist is the only area which has parts of the belt actually having contact with the suit(that's if we assume the black paper is removed from the body). Its highly possible that the material of the belt have some sort of reaction with the rubber waist of the suit similar to what happened with the DX02. Could be because of the difference of usage of plasticizers used to make the suit and the belt. Or it might be the paint of the belt reacting with the suit?

but all i know about how they make the suit is that they added plasticizers on it to act as spacers between the polymer chain. That's how u get rubber. The more u add plasticizers, the more flexible it becomes. But in time these plasticizers would start to evaporate out of the suit. Which is why you have that 'new car smell' on the body. It is evaporating as we speak. That is why in time you will get rubber that goes dry and cracks. But in DX02's case the process of it deteriorating may have sped up because of the reaction of those different plastics. Same goes for the rubber which is wrapped around your copper wires and also your rubber bands. It could also happen to our 89 bats. But it can be slowed down by simply not removing the black paper. They just dont last forever.

but what about the plastic gauntlets and the boots of batman? maybe they are made from a different sort of polymer which fortunately doesn't react with the arms and legs of the suit.

I'm not really 100% sure about this but I think based on what I see and read about plasticizers on the web it seems to make me agree about the issue that is unravelling here.

I would agree with this theory. In the instructions they usually give with the figures, does it mention in there to keep the paper on the back of the belt? If it helps they should mention that.

Wow, for some reason I completely overlooked this thread because I thought it was just the DX-02 thread that had suddenly had some life sparked back into it. Hah. No idea this problem was occurring with the Keaton Bats until I actually looked at the thread title.

Hadn't looked at mine closely in a while, so after reading this thread I went to look at the belt and ab area, and luckily mine's bone dry.

I find it a bit amusing how problems with a figure can inspire people to search the web, and research about the chemical engineering of rubbers (amongst other things) :lol. Hot Toys' mistake is making us learn... so it's not too much of a bad thing I guess.

I would agree with this theory. In the instructions they usually give with the figures, does it mention in there to keep the paper on the back of the belt? If it helps they should mention that.

i think they did not warn us to not remove the black paper off the body. It's not stated on the instructions manual. It's simply because they just did not study and experiment the rubbers that they use in a professional manner. They are cheap. I doubt this issue can be resolved, as they shouldn't have used rubber in the first place if they didn't exactly know how long the rubbers they use can last. The only fact we can be sure of is this. Rubbers will never last forever. I bought this with a total awareness that it wont last long, but never would I expect it to happen right away so soon!

I find it a bit amusing how problems with a figure can inspire people to search the web, and research about the chemical engineering of rubbers (amongst other things) :lol. Hot Toys' mistake is making us learn... so it's not too much of a bad thing I guess.

^:exactly:

haha yeah they are making me learn to research about their materials. My mistake was that I should've realized and research earlier before spending 250 freakin dollars on this thing! Call it being ignorant on my part, but they have truly blinded me with their work of fart!

I have a theory on this residue issue. My DX02 has been almost residue free. The only place were I've found some was under the belt. It's only showed up in two places with very small amounts. The front and back. Now the interesting part is that it shows up in back were the belt clips together. How would it get there? That part doesn't even touch the body.

I removed it again to today to clean the area and looked on the inside of the belt. There was some kind fo sticky residue like glue that I didn't notice before. I removed it all. I also looked under the belly. No residue. The figure looks perfect. My theory is that the plastic of the belts are what is creating this residue.

So remove the belt a couple times a month and clean it with cloth. Hopefully you'll have the same amount of luck and your figure will last for years.

Didn't even see this before I posted:

because the waist is the only area which has parts of the belt actually having contact with the suit(that's if we assume the black paper is removed from the body). Its highly possible that the material of the belt have some sort of reaction with the rubber waist of the suit similar to what happened with the DX02. Could be because of the difference of usage of plasticizers used to make the suit and the belt. Or it might be the paint of the belt reacting with the suit?

but all i know about how they make the suit is that they added plasticizers on it to act as spacers between the polymer chain. That's how u get rubber. The more u add plasticizers, the more flexible it becomes. But in time these plasticizers would start to evaporate out of the suit. Which is why you have that 'new car smell' on the body. It is evaporating as we speak. That is why in time you will get rubber that goes dry and cracks. But in DX02's case the process of it deteriorating may have sped up because of the reaction of those different plastics. Same goes for the rubber which is wrapped around your copper wires and also your rubber bands. It could also happen to our 89 bats. But it can be slowed down by simply not removing the black paper. They just dont last forever.

but what about the plastic gauntlets and the boots of batman? maybe they are made from a different sort of polymer which fortunately doesn't react with the arms and legs of the suit.

I'm not really 100% sure about this but I think based on what I see and read about plasticizers on the web it seems to make me agree about the issue that is unravelling here.

edit: and to add to that I think it always happens on the front of the abs because it has the most pressure applied to the body by the belt itself. Pressure = friction = heat = a small bit of chemical reaction between the belt n front surface of suit, no?

Yep. :exactly:

schokolade
^Being in Malaysia ... it should cost you much less than USD250

"Permerhatian ini dah diberitahu dalam kedua-dua kes sebelum ini sejak lebih setahun yang lepas.. banyak yang tak p'caya dengan anggapan salah mereka (tanpa bukti)... boleh dianggap hanya nak mencari perselisihan"

Last edited:
Well I just read through all 33 pages of this thread. When they're charging $250 for these figures, issues like this should not be happening at all. My order is in at Alter Ego for the Batman/Joker pack, so I'll have to pay the 10% cancellation fee or just try my luck.

I never had the leaky DX02 Batman as I waited for the final release and mine never had any issues. I've counted myself pretty luck with the Batman figures that I've had not having any issues, but I realize what a pain this has been for a lot of collectors, and if my favorite version of Batman starts to disintegrate, I'm going to be pissed.

Well I just read through all 33 pages of this thread. When they're charging $250 for these figures, issues like this should not be happening at all. My order is in at Alter Ego for the Batman/Joker pack, so I'll have to pay the 10% cancellation fee or just try my luck.

I never had the leaky DX02 Batman as I waited for the final release and mine never had any issues. I've counted myself pretty luck with the Batman figures that I've had not having any issues, but I realize what a pain this has been for a lot of collectors, and if my favorite version of Batman starts to disintegrate, I'm going to be pissed.

Just hang in there.

We are all going to end up getting a degree in handling rubber with Hot Toys figures. See the positive side.

I feel bad for all those having this problem. Shouldn't have to go throught this for $250.

This is becoming very frustrating. Even those of us lucky enough not to have problems we are still paying the price. HTs has to recoup their loses from replacement parts by raising prices on future releases. With little to no major competition right now it has not taught them a lesson in QC importance. We need another company to step up and take this monopoly away. Until then it will just continue to be fast and furious releases with little attention to QC so HTs can capitolize while they can without fear of losing business.

:lol @ the magical black paper cure. :lol

You can do whatever you want, even leaving the damn thing alone, in the box, untouched, and it will leak. :dunno

:lecture
We have all learnt the hard way that this is true. You could cryogenically freeze bats until a future date when technology has advanced to a point where decomposing rubber can be reversed. Apart from that, it's ____ed if it starts, no matter what you do.

:lol

:lol @ the magical black paper cure. :lol

You can do whatever you want, even leaving the damn thing alone, in the box, untouched, and it will leak. :dunno

Also... Whoever said the magnet plus plastic to hold it in is causing it, I tried this with the DX02 years ago. I used the belt from the v1 TDK figure and it still oozed. No metal, no adhesive plastic cover. Just bare plastic on the most relaxed clip so the belt could move up and down. No pressure. It still oozed.

I left my DX02 in the box once as well.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c14elBDPRHA[/ame]

Remember Dave washed the suit as well? the oozing came back. As you've said numerous times over the years, once it starts you can't stop it. But you can slow it down.

That being said my first DX02 stopped leaking after about a year, and the extent of the permanent damage was just loss of details on the suit under the belt, so nothing visible apart from the sheen on the abs.

In some cases though I guess the damage was much worse, and with this, i'm simply not taking the risk at this stage

That being said my first DX02 stopped leaking after about a year, and the extent of the permanent damage was just loss of details on the suit under the belt, so nothing visible apart from the sheen on the abs.

In some cases though I guess the damage was much worse, and with this, i'm simply not taking the risk at this stage

When's the last time you checked it? :lol

When Dave left his to ooze after all his testing. He said it stopped once but left discoloration.

Back