Dracula 1:1 Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's a new sculpt, either, and it may just be a very clever trick of the light, but I believe I can see at least two very distinct differences in the paint.

Compare the hairlines, for instance:

The prototype on the left has a softer hairline, while the grab from the QTVR appears to have a harder edge and a completely different shape, particularly around the temples.

Now the lips:

The lips on the proto (left) have a harder edge, and the upper lip is fuller and more symmetrical than the lips of the QTVR grab. Granted I zoomed-in on the QTVR for comparison, so that alone makes it softer but, the shape of the lips definitely appears to be different, at least to my aging eyes.

And, as creecher noted, that is the lead to the Count's monocle on the shirt (click the thumbnail to super-size it).

Apologies about the gold chain.

With you on the repaint points, FrankenFan. The lips were a major problem with the first version. I'm still thinking reworked-sculpt, though. It's just too amazingly different. How could such a perfect likeness photograph so badly that it wouldn't look like Bela? The difference in your two three-quarter shots is like night and day. The overbite is gone; the mouth is pulled in.

From Dan Rather to Bela Lugosi. Maybe someone's been listening!

Last edited:
Now that I look at the photo comparison im begining to see what you mean. The hair is different on the photo to the right than the first photos of the bust on the left, and the nose also seems different. I just had to study them awhile.

The sculpt isn't different in any way. I'm not sure if one is a proto and one is production, but most likely any differences you're seeing are just in the lighting.

I just can't believe a perfect likeness would lose its resemblance to the subject just because it was shot a little below and with the lighting positioned differently. But it does beg the question for me...before I spend $450, I want to know the definitive answer from Sideshow. (Please forgive me Dave, if you are connected with Sideshow. I'm too new to know.)

We've pointed out clear paint differences, at least, but Sideshow is still using the original photography in all shots except for the 360. Since they haven't updated the bust's images with the presumably newer version (if only painted differently) which was used in the 360, I'd really like some official clarification.

As far as I know the pictures are taken by a staff member and not a professional photographer. Which I prefer, as you get a more realistic visual, than a filtered and otherwise digitally corrected rendition, which other companies are prone to use.

With this in mind, Sideshow do a great job. Just look at our more amatuerish pics, for the most part, and compare. I learnt this myself, by shooting the photographer down and then the photographer, at the time, posted here and set me straight, to this fact. So bear this in mind, and how you would feel if you were constantly put down with negative comments. Please understand I am not commenting on your post directly HerryGrail. You aren't the only one, besides me, that has fallen into this trap.

CAPE AND MEDALLION! CAPE AND MEDALLION!! CAPE AND MEDALLION!!!

Thanks for your comments, Creech. I hope I haven't seemed critical; in fact, I've taken for granted that all the photos have been professionally shot, which is why I've been insistent that the difference in the early shots and the VR version is product-related.

I guess I'm also thinking that if the early glamour shots were of the same bust we're now seeing, Sideshow would never have allowed them to be posted. Tentative, wait-and-see approval at CHFB has yielded to snowballing criticism. Replacement of the original shots with ones that look like the 360 may be the only way to shift the tide, whether the 360 bust is the same or not.

Are you saying that the VR images are not professionally shot, and that's why they look like Lugosi? I'm not sure I follow. Thanks again.

Hello Herry. Thanks. I was hoping I wasn't sounding too strong, so glad we are on the same level. I was just making a general comment of the standard stills on the Sideshow website. I have no knowledge of how the 360 shots are taken. A somewhat more complicated shoot and lighting would undoubtedly be needed.

It is obvious that the comparison pics in Frankenfans post No:81 are of two different busts. That can be seen from the bow tie and outfitting alone. The lighting, shadows and background plays a part in what we are seeing and I daresay there have been slight tweeks. I can never tell what to expect until I get the actual product in hand. I would like to see all photo's marked, especially the final production pic. Updated pics are slipped in without notification. I find that to be confusing in itself. People pre-order on what is shown early on, and some differences may go unnoticed. I would prefer no pics were shown till the product is finalised. That doesn't work in reality, as early pics lead to much discussion as can be seen in this thread. Hopefully, this aids Sideshow to make further positive changes, time permitting. This doesn't mean changes can be expected either, so I can only really say

because I believe that to be the major change required.

Thanks Creech. I would be happy simply with clear indication when a new version, with even a minor change, is being shown. They actually notify us when a new image is available; why not at least also mention there's been a change, and in what (as not all are as obvious as the re-positioned lapels)? Then we'd know whether it was a lighting illusion or a subtle adjustment we were seeing.

I think our presence on this board shows a certain appreciation of detail (so much nicer to say than "OCD"), and when you combine that with higher-priced products, decisions will be made based on those details.

I reckon your right. Any pics are good pics, and it would be nice to know that there have been changes, if any. Maybe if the pics were dated it would be easy to tell that some change had been made. The point I think you are making is, in this instance, the turnaround product is different from the stills shown.

I went and had a look at my 1/6 Bela bust, included with the legacy DvD's, and, it too has the same styling as the 360 turnaround. So I daresay the 360 is more accurate as to what product you are likely to be getting. I like the fact that the 1/6 Bela bust includes the.........

.......minus the cape. I just like saying ....

Looks like there will be no CAPE AND MEDALLION! CAPE AND MEDALLION!! CAPE AND MEDALLION!!! as Lonnie has informed us in the number 10 post of this thread.
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10808

Please read it as he conveyed some interesting comments.

I was at least pleased to see the bust on display at the Con, did not reflect the turnaround on Sideshows website, but rather the still pics.

mlarsen said:
I like this one but the only 1:1 monster bust I would seriously consider getting would be Frankenstein.

psst, mlarsen, clean out your PM box, I'm trying to respond to you :)

SideshowDusty said:
psst, mlarsen, clean out your PM box, I'm trying to respond to you :)

Well I hope its something personal like an invite to lunch or something because if it has anyhting to do with what he said about Frankenstein's Monster as a 1:1 and we are witnessing some insider info here I am going to get my torches and villager mob right now, I tell yas.:lol :rotfl :D

This bust isn't bad, but I feel what really lets it down is the 'bland' paintwork.

If it had been shaded better I feel it would have helped bring this sculpt around a great deal. Still very nice work though.

By the way here's a photo of my friends Bela life size sculpt that he did for Madam Tussaurds for a full size figure that was put on display in the states a while back. This image is of the clay just before final finishing.

The likness was approved by the Lugosi family and they went to see it unveiled at the opening. Tussaurds were sent one of Lugosis original costumes which the family still owned for them to copy.

bela.jpg

Lovely isn't it, even in this unfinished state.

I just wish I had some photo's of the finished wax cast.

WOW. Only 250 of Bela??????????? BELA. B-E-L-A??????? Well, I suppose it goes without saying that there really are only a select few of us who are willing to pay a pile of cash for a lifesize monster head. A lifesize monster head? God, that sounds dorky.:mwaha :pow

Back