Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JABBATHERIDGE said:
I'm sure the BBC will find a way out of the 13 regenerations rule if Doctor Who is a big enough ratings grabber by the time we roll around to number 13.

There'll be some kind of secret time portal or something that allows him to cheat death and come back again.

I really think they threw away the 9th regeneration. That actor only played the Doctor for one movie. How hard would it have been to say Eccleston was the same Doctor from the movie, just with a different attitude after the events of the movie? But, I have a feeling that the BBC expected Eccleston to play the part a little bit longer. I can understand not wanting to be type cast ... but just one season? It didn't make sense. Still, I think Tennant is the best Doctor since Baker, so maybe these things work out for the best. Let's just hope the BBC keep Tennant under contract - and demanded a multi-year deal. I would love to see Tennant have a Baker-sized Who career.

Since someone else mentioned time-travel, for you long time fans, has the Doctor ever met any of his previous incarnations? I think it would be so cool to see Eccleston pop up as a guest in a future episode playing the 9th Doctor. Could make for some cool moments ... both funny and dramatic. I would also love to see the 9th Doctor's reaction to his newer body :D

There have been numerous multi Doctor stories before but RTD said he won't be doing one anytime soon. Also, one of the reasons we may never see the Time War is that it most likely took place during the 8th Doctor's time as 9 seemed to be newly regenerated becasue when he looked in the mirror in Rose he commented about his appearance which would seem to me that he hadnt seen himself before.

DouglasMcc said:
I really think they threw away the 9th regeneration. That actor only played the Doctor for one movie. How hard would it have been to say Eccleston was the same Doctor from the movie, just with a different attitude after the events of the movie? But, I have a feeling that the BBC expected Eccleston to play the part a little bit longer. I can understand not wanting to be type cast ... but just one season? It didn't make sense. Still, I think Tennant is the best Doctor since Baker, so maybe these things work out for the best. Let's just hope the BBC keep Tennant under contract - and demanded a multi-year deal. I would love to see Tennant have a Baker-sized Who career.

When the BBC first brought Dr Who back with the 2005 Eccleston season they had no idea how big it was going to become. So they just signed the actor to one season and then decided to see how long it was going to run for before committing to anything further.

Most Brit Sci Fi doesn't do very well, so they weren't prepared for the kind of reaction they recieved when Doctor Who became this massive overnight hit and everyone loved it.

Actually the real reason Eccleston left though was because he found the filming schedule too hectic. British tabloids reported that the actor had left because he didn't want to be typecast but this wasn't the case and they later had to issue an apology for it.

I'm sure Tenant will be around much longer though, I think the BBC have learned alot from their mistakes and will be keen to keep Tenant for as long as they can, because he works well as the Doctor. Tenant is also a huge Dr Who geek in real life and loves the show, so I can't see him wanting to leave anytime soon either.

Hopefully he'll be in it for the long haul, but I do think the change of Doctor and companion every series so far is part of what's kept the show so exciting. Fans have been wondering what the new Doctor/companion will be like so they've tuned in and of course each year so far there's been a revamp of a classic Who villain like the Daleks and the Cybermen.

With a bit of luck the show will maintain it's viewing figures for a good few years yet, I think the BBC will continue producing it, just for the money it makes selling the show abroad and in repeats. The first episode of series 3 is repeated three times this week alone.

Wasn't it true that when David was small he had to say what he wanted to be when he grew up and he said the Doctor? or am I imagining things?

Either way, I love how this season is shaping up so far and I would much rather see another companion added than a new Doctor or Martha leaving. However we have both for series 4 I believe and they get to deal with the Master!

Memnoch21 said:
Wasn't it true that when David was small he had to say what he wanted to be when he grew up and he said the Doctor? or am I imagining things?

Nope you're spot on.

I read an interview with the producer Julie Gardner and the stars of the show and Russell T Davies all had to ask her questions in this interview. David Tenant asked if they were planning to bring back the following and then quoted loads of really obscure aliens from the sixties era, which was quite amusing.

He really has an extensive knowledge of the show, which I think is quite nice, that he loves his job makes him all the more endearing as the Doctor.

Most of the stories about David leaving revolve around claims that he doesn't get enough time off to do other projects, but really he can take and does take, small film roles in other projects but I really think his bread and butter is Who.

But the thing I don't get about actors/actresses not wanting to be typecast is they almost always go on to do nothing anyway after they leave the show they were a part of.

David Duchovny left the X Files, did Evolution and some romantic comedy and then pretty much bugger all since.

Sarah Michelle Gellar left Buffy, did a couple of low rent horrors and again done pretty much bugger all since.

Pattern forming.

I know some actors have gone onto make a success of themselves in more than one series like Claudia Black in Farscape and SG1, but the success stories occur far less often than those who try and fail, if you're loved by millions for playing a certain part or role, why not be happy with that role?

It can't be financial because they must make millions after years in a successful show.

I don't get it:confused:

Memnoch21 said:

Either way, I love how this season is shaping up so far and I would much rather see another companion added than a new Doctor or Martha leaving. However we have both for series 4 I believe and they get to deal with the Master!

So, is the Master coming back this season, or is that hinted at for next year (season/series 4)? That would definitely be interesting. Heck, I am still curious what revamp villain will be introduced this year. I know there is an early episode called Daleks in Manhattan, but I think that's a one-off episode. I can't see them making the Daleks the big bads this season ... not the style they have set.

Wasn't Tennant a finalist for the first new season with Eccleston? I remember reading somewhere that they both were in the running, then Ecc got the job. Why did Piper leave the show? Martha's hot and funny, but I miss Rose :monkey2

Its all but confirmed offically that the Master is back, the last episode of this season is called "Last of the Time Lords". Billie left to pursue other things and is currently in a West End play with her new beau. The Dalek episode is actually a two parter.

Memnoch21 said:
Its all but confirmed offically that the Master is back, the last episode of this season is called "Last of the Time Lords". Billie left to pursue other things and is currently in a West End play with her new beau. The Dalek episode is actually a two parter.

Oooo... Its too bad the messed with the master in the movie. I would have loved to see Antony Ainley back in the role. :rock

I don't know why but I'm just not as excited about this week's episode of Dr Who as I was this time last week.

The trailer for The Shakespeare Code doesn't seem that exciting and with all the other great and important episodes surrounding it, it just looks a bit flat.

I mean last week we had the introduction of a new companion, next week is the Face Of Boes secret revealed and the two weeks after that features the return of the Daleks.

All things I'm excited for, but this episode in the middle just seems a little bit dull in between, kind of like filler.

Still I've been wrong before, I didn't think The Satan Pit two parter would be any good and it ended up being one of my favourites.

pixletwin said:
Just discovered my local PBS station is running the new Doctor Who!!!!! :blissy

I watched the SAME episode on PBS, that's funny. It was the one where the earth explodes right?

Wached this earlier tonight....not bad, better than I expected. Quite proud of the fact that Tenant is originally a local lad and look where he's got to. Wish he could put his original accent on again like last series' Torchwood.

Just as long as they don't actually do Torchwood again.....what a waste of time that was :emperor

just watched The Shakespeare Code and it was great. Can't wait till next week for the face of boe, excited about what he is going to tell the doctor.

The Shakespeare Code was much better than I'd expected it to be, wasn't a bad episode but wasn't a classic either.

Still the Doctor had some great one liners and I loved where he tells Martha he's read the 7th Harry Potter book and it made him cry.

"Good ole JK":lol

Wasnt that bothered about The Shakespear Code either but damn was it good. The effects were great and London looked fantastic. Cool node to Harry Potter. Looking forward to seeing the Face of Boe and New New York again

I watched Shakespeare Code, and I too wasn't that excited but by the end i was intrigued. Did we get a glimpse of next seasons "historical" episode? I think so.

Yeah the Queen Elizabeth stuff was interesting wasn't it, I wonder how the Doctor became her mortal enemy.

I'm far more pysched about the next three weeks on the show, next week the Face of Boe and then Daleks baby!!!!!:D

Back