Doctor Sleep

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regards to the box office the trailer and marketing for this movie were incredibly mediocre imo. I mean this is a follow up the shining! Imagine how amazing and subtle those trailers really could have been. I've yet to see the movie but I'm really looking forward to it after the word of mouth, before hand I thought it would be terrible.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It's still one of the worst titles of the year to those not familiar with the book. That didn't help when you're standing at the cineplex looking at a list of titles.

This just in: Extra, Extra! Tub Lady gets her own Series. She's not who you think she is. Read all about it!

She deserves it - she's totally hot.:dunno

tried watching this again and unfortunately couldn?t find no billing near me, i was sad, my girlfriend wanted to see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now that?s been on home video for a while, anyone else get a chance to see this?

I?ve seen it 3 times now and find it just as great as the first time. Easily my fav movie of the year. I still like the first two hours the best... Those two hours are perfect. The final half hour is good but it just does not hold up to the first two hours.

Ewan Mcgregor is fantastic in it as Dan Torrence

Rebecca Ferguson deserves to be the next horror hero as her portrayal of Rose the Hat is perfect. So hot yet so evil.

Man I love this movie.

Im halfway through the extended cut, haven't noticed anything different yet.

It's good, but the Shining is on a whole other level.

Gotta say, the baseball boy scene is just too much, almost sours me on the whole movie. Sometimes, less is more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The changes are definitely in the second half. And not just the Hotel, which was cool. I rented the movie on Xbox. So not sure if I saw the director's cut or not.

When I read the book, I pictured Thandie Newton as Rose the Hat. The actress they had did awesome though.

The changes are definitely in the second half. And not just the Hotel, which was cool. I rented the movie on Xbox. So not sure if I saw the director's cut or not.

When I read the book, I pictured Thandie Newton as Rose the Hat. The actress they had did awesome though.
I don't know what's wrong with me, but with 30 minutes of added footage, I couldn't tell what was new.

Still, really good. They had big shoes to fill, and it's impressive they didn't stumble.

Just watched this last night. I don't usually go for films like this, but it was just odd enough in Youtube clips that I had to check it out. It was a really well done movie that kept me captivated the entire film. Excellent movie.

I finally saw this a week ago, really liked it!
The Shining and this are tonally different, but Doctor Sleep works as a sequel and even improves aspects of the Shining (making alcoholism more overt). It's respectful and doesn't ruin the original; if you don't like DS, you can still just ignore it and watch the Shining irrespective of DS.

Reminds me a lot of 2001 and it's sequel 2010 in that regard.

I regret not seeing this in a theater. Hearing how much better the director's cut is, I'll buy it someday.

Im halfway through the extended cut, haven't noticed anything different yet.

It's good, but the Shining is on a whole other level.

Gotta say, the baseball boy scene is just too much, almost sours me on the whole movie. Sometimes, less is more.

There are a lot of changes.. But if you only watched the theatrical cut once you might not notice... Its a lot of little moments instead of one big long extra scene or two.

The Baseball Boy scene was handled perfectly.. Its really the performance that sells the moment.. And you needed that IMO to really hate on the True Knot..

In some ways I like this more then the shining... But they are two very different movies.

Just watched this last night. I don't usually go for films like this, but it was just odd enough in Youtube clips that I had to check it out. It was a really well done movie that kept me captivated the entire film. Excellent movie.

:rock :rock

I don't know what's wrong with me, but with 30 minutes of added footage, I couldn't tell what was new.

Still, really good. They had big shoes to fill, and it's impressive they didn't stumble.

Like I said.. Small moments.. For example the scene with Jack at the bar has some added dialogue.. Also the scene with Jack and Danny in the Overlook Bathroom is all new... Many, many new little moments..

It is impressive that it did not fall flat on its face. Who knew that I wanted to know what happened to danny after the events of the first movie :lol

I finally saw this a week ago, really liked it!
The Shining and this are tonally different, but Doctor Sleep works as a sequel and even improves aspects of the Shining (making alcoholism more overt). It's respectful and doesn't ruin the original; if you don't like DS, you can still just ignore it and watch the Shining irrespective of DS.

Reminds me a lot of 2001 and it's sequel 2010 in that regard.

I regret not seeing this in a theater. Hearing how much better the director's cut is, I'll buy it someday.

Its weird that while I thought the last 30 min of Doctor Sleep were the weakest, I agree that it and the movie as a whole improved aspects of The Shining.

Its weird that while I thought the last 30 min of Doctor Sleep were the weakest, I agree that it and the movie as a whole improved aspects of The Shining.

That scene at the beginning of the Shining, where they talk about the Donner Party made me think Jack just went insane being snowbound with his family. The ghosts just heightening the insanity. Not once did I think that Jack was really being pushed by alcoholism and that he had the Shining as well.
Maybe a bias on my part because that scene resonated with me as a kid, I had the same conversation with my parents driving to Lake Tahoe.

That scene at the beginning of the Shining, where they talk about the Donner Party made me think Jack just went insane being snowbound with his family. The ghosts just heightening the insanity. Not once did I think that Jack was really being pushed by alcoholism and that he had the Shining as well.
Maybe a bias on my part because that scene resonated with me as a kid, I had the same conversation with my parents driving to Lake Tahoe.

Doctor Sleep also pushed the fact that Jack was possessed by the Hotel... Much like Danny was at the end of the film.

This is what King had in the book and why King hated the film... Jack was just a madman rather then someone who was slowly possessed by the hotel and part of that ability to possess Jack came from using his Alcoholism against him.

Personally from reading the book it had filled in these holes so I never thought much of it.. But the new film drives it home..

I never thought of the hotel being like the True Knot and wanting to feed on Danny during his original stay... I like that idea and it improved the original film for me.. Maybe that was spelled out in the book also... But I don't remember that part.

I just reviewed it on the rate the last movie you watch thread.

Solid film, worthy successor of a film you really cannot touch.

Did anyone find the soundtrack way off? Its a great piece of music, but it does not match the cinematography at ALL.

Its an odd mix, and if they had handled the shots more like the original, it would have fit better. Oddly that what I liked about the end, they finally seemed to give in and shoot some scenes in the Kubrick style. While the score was very similar to the original, the filming seemed to want to stay away from that style and they shot it more like a typical Hollywood film.

I just reviewed it on the rate the last movie you watch thread.

Solid film, worthy successor of a film you really cannot touch.

Did anyone find the soundtrack way off? Its a great piece of music, but it does not match the cinematography at ALL.

Its an odd mix, and if they had handled the shots more like the original, it would have fit better. Oddly that what I liked about the end, they finally seemed to give in and shoot some scenes in the Kubrick style. While the score was very similar to the original, the filming seemed to want to stay away from that style and they shot it more like a typical Hollywood film.

I thought the score was fine.... it really was the main thing that made you constantly aware that it was in the same universe as the original.... I liked that more subtle nod then the flat out lifting of Kubrick style.

Most of the score that was lifted was just that heartbeat with the eerie strings and vocals... it worked fine for me but I can see how it could be off putting to some.

I thought the score was fine.... it really was the main thing that made you constantly aware that it was in the same universe as the original.... I liked that more subtle nod then the flat out lifting of Kubrick style.

Most of the score that was lifted was just that heartbeat with the eerie strings and vocals... it worked fine for me but I can see how it could be off putting to some.

Its not that I didn?t like the score, quite opposite, it was the cinematography.....which these days is a lost are

That score makes me think of long lens steady cam shots, tracking shots and wide angle shots of actors full body?s. But we got typical mid range shots instead of any creative camera work.

That score works best with Kubrick style . Tense lingering wide shots.

If you watch the approach to the overlook you can see how dramatic a small change in camera style would have made.

I like that they didn't try to copy Kubrick's cinematography. It would've drawn too many unnecessary comparisons with how it looked and taken attention away from the story. The director (and screenwriter) Mike Flanagan wasn't trying to be Kubrick, he was just trying to be himself and I think it worked.

This was so stupid I couldn't not share it. :lol

red rum dmc.png

Back