Doctor Sleep

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So "Box Office analysts" blame Millenials and the "Z generation" for not being familiar with The Shining. :lol

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...0YdgiWC7LzBjC2Ec-r7c-BumpB1SGsrGRPg_wx0zPdpHY

Best part, the "journalist" writing the article must be a "Millenial" too, since The Shining came out in 1980, not 79. :lol

:lol Yeah 79, 80 whatever! Speaking of that, notice the little easter egg that Abra's house number was 1980. And Danny Lloyd's (OG Danny) cameo as the guy with the goatee at the baseball game.

And the office Jack Nicholson accepts the job in, that was the same office swan mcgregor was in at one point in this movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the office Jack Nicholson accepts the job in, that was the same office swan mcgregor was in at one point in this movie.

You are correct!

ds3.jpg

Huh, I was not a huge fan of the book, for SK it felt a little off for him. I am a big SK fan, but it felt a bit flat to me.

So its good to hear people enjoyed the film.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I think it was the child group sex scene in "It" that the whole "felt a little off for him" thing got a little tricky to define.:yuck:

Hence the boxoffice.

It makes me think of Dr Goggles.

Haha - one of my actor buddies was in Dr. Giggles.:lol

I missed the part were Mike and Henry thomas go back to the Haunting of Hill House netflix series which make perfect sense on why Henry was cast as Lloyd. Its the whole topic of Delbert/Charles Grady topic that gets closure with this movie along with the Lloyd/Jack scene, i love the hotel?s ambiguous character it takes over clearly meaning it was ?it? the whole time masquerading as persons familiar to either jack and. Delbert, makes the original kubrick ending more emotional also knowing he does get absolved like it was stated before, but from what i read henry on purpose did not want to replicate the Nicholson lisp since he knew he wasn?t playing him but playing lloyd which makes total sense!!

I will say thought I did not love the ending to DS.. It does make me look forward to watching the Shining again from a bit of a different viewpoint..

My biggest issues really is that you had this great original story for two hours and then for the last 20 min you get the sequel to The Shining.

Going again later this week.

i thought i was having double takes with snakebite, i legit thought she was Robin Tunney?s daughter, she was identical to say the least!!

:lol Thought the same thing.. Or H[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif]elen Bonham Carter at times.. Same shaped head.. [/FONT]

My biggest problem of the movie was that the new main character Abra was not very interesting or engaging. She has no sense of weight or gravity over the things that are happening to her; and until the end remains cheery and thus comes off as flat. I thought at first it might be that the child actress was weak, but she does a surprisingly great job when she is given more interesting material to work with, so the only explanation is that she was directed to act that way.

I think overall its a trend that modern settings tend to lack grit or character, and thus come off as generic, overly clean, and without atmosphere; thus killing any sense of dread. Abra's pristine and perfectly decorated bedroom will never ever have the same atmosphere as even the most forgettable room in the Overlook Hotel.

I don't think so. One was in Colorado, the other New Hampshire.

Saw this tonight. It was fantastic. Nearly a 10.

SPOILER AHEAD

The only thing i didn’t like was Danny’s fate. That did not seem necessary.

I don't think so. One was in Colorado, the other New Hampshire.

He was pointing out that?s is set up to look just like the same office... not that it is the same office.

I actually got a little confused the first time I watched it.... Thought ?how did they get to the Overlook??

My biggest problem of the movie was that the new main character Abra was not very interesting or engaging. She has no sense of weight or gravity over the things that are happening to her; and until the end remains cheery and thus comes off as flat. I thought at first it might be that the child actress was weak, but she does a surprisingly great job when she is given more interesting material to work with, so the only explanation is that she was directed to act that way.

I think overall its a trend that modern settings tend to lack grit or character, and thus come off as generic, overly clean, and without atmosphere; thus killing any sense of dread. Abra's pristine and perfectly decorated bedroom will never ever have the same atmosphere as even the most forgettable room in the Overlook Hotel.

Hmmm I loved her in it. She was a borderline ?Mary Sue? but she had enough failure and tragedy in the film to avoid that. She was a Bad ass though and seemed to have a pretty strong grasp of her powers. IDK I thought she was perfect as a character and actress.

I do get what you are saying about her room and films being too pristine. However I thought the film had plenty of atmosphere.

Comparing it with The Shining is not really fair as I would say that atmosphere is all the Shining is. On a character level this movie beats The Shining.... and I love me some Shining

In regards to the box office the trailer and marketing for this movie were incredibly mediocre imo. I mean this is a follow up the shining! Imagine how amazing and subtle those trailers really could have been. I've yet to see the movie but I'm really looking forward to it after the word of mouth, before hand I thought it would be terrible.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hmmm I loved her in it. She was a borderline ?Mary Sue? but she had enough failure and tragedy in the film to avoid that. She was a Bad ass though and seemed to have a pretty strong grasp of her powers. IDK I thought she was perfect as a character and actress.

I do get what you are saying about her room and films being too pristine. However I thought the film had plenty of atmosphere.

Comparing it with The Shining is not really fair as I would say that atmosphere is all the Shining is. On a character level this movie beats The Shining.... and I love me some Shining

I don't know if id call her a Mary Sue since she faced challenges that actually seemed to pose a threat to her and barely survived them. I just don't like how she remained perpetually upbeat and cheery until the point where crap really started hitting the fan. Like the scene with her and Dan on the bench where he is explaining the Shining to her. She has a smile on her face the whole time. This is a person's reaction to learning that they have cosmic level superpowers that make them the target of a bunch of supernatural gypsy serial killers? Most of the kids I know aren't even that happy on a great day.

And while I agree with you that this movie handles character better than the Shining (which if we are being honest here was never one of my favorite movies) but I do think its fair to compare the atmosphere in the two movies, especially because as you stated, atmosphere was such a strong part of what made the first one such a classic. I just wish that the world inhabited by the characters was more gritty and real, and carried with it a more sinister atmosphere which more closely matched the original.

The only parts I didn't like were the attempts to bring back characters from the original film. Watching another actor play Jack Torrance just took me out of it. And between this and Ready Player One it feels like they're trying to turn the lady from the bathtub into some kind of horror icon among the likes of Freddy Krueger which all these years later just annoys me for some reason. Maybe because it was one of the most disturbing scenes in any movie I can recall as it was just so out there and not really dwelled upon. Now I'm just waiting to hear when they'll be giving her her own backstory movie.

Sent from my LG Mobile

Back