Do you think we'll see another PF Frodo?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh, thanks for posting the comparison pics! I think the sculpt is pretty good overall, and I am pretty sure there is an even better photo that was used for reference (though Frodo has that worried look for most of the films). I like that he doesn't look "heroic", and he looks scared and tentative. I think Sideshow also did a good job of investing the 1/6 Aragorn with his expression capturing some of the doubt and heavy heart that Viggo brought to the character, just my .02!

Seaward said:
Josh, thanks for posting the comparison pics! I think the sculpt is pretty good overall, and I am pretty sure there is an even better photo that was used for reference (though Frodo has that worried look for most of the films). I like that he doesn't look "heroic", and he looks scared and tentative. I think Sideshow also did a good job of investing the 1/6 Aragorn with his expression capturing some of the doubt and heavy heart that Viggo brought to the character, just my .02!

No problem. I keep that pic on hand because I think it shows just how good the sculpt is. I'm sure they have or had a much better photo or photos to use that what I can find. I agree Frodo was never "heroic" so I don't think that his statues or figures show show that. This is one thing I love about the SSW statue is that it shows IMO what the ring is doing to him. I agree with you on the 1/6th scale Strider because Viggo did such a great job making you feel that Strider was in some serious doubt as to if he could lead the world of men.

Seaward said:
The price for Frodo is staggeringly high, though, given the size of the figure, but I am sure the quality will be there.

You know, I initially thought the same way; I had expected a price point of around $175, due to the smaller stature of this piece. However, I've given it some thought, and really, it now doesn't make that much sense to me that the smaller size would equate to a substantially lower retail price. Why? Well, let's face it, when you're talking about high-end collectibles like this, the difference in raw materials is probably pretty minor. What you pay for are the production costs, licensing fees, etc.

Compare FRODO PF to HAN SOLO PF; both retail for the same amount ($250), but other than the greater size, what does Han offer in the way of added value that is that much greater than Frodo? Both are polystone-based, and yeah, since Han is bigger, it obviously takes more raw material to manufacture, but again, I doubt the price difference is that great. Both have nicely-tailored costumes, but I would argue that Frodo is probably a bit more intricate, what with the regular clothing, overcoat, and cloak. I would hazzard a guess that the materials used for Frodo's costume probably cost more than for Han (of course Han had boots, while Frodo is shoeless!). Han comes with a blaster, Frodo with Sting, so thats essentially a wash, though the blaster is probably a bit pricier to tool. Both come with bases, but Frodo's is again more intricate,with an added name plate, and doubtless cost more to manufacture. Frodo's Edition Size was set at 1000 pieces, while Han was 2500, meaning Frodo's production costs are spread out over a much smaller run, necessitating a higher retail. Finally, both are licensed products, so that price must be factored in. I have no idea what the difference in the respective license fees is, I would assume STAR WARS would be pricier than LORD OF THE RINGS, but to what extent this affects the final piece I have no clue.

So, after considering all of those factors, other than the difference in stature, I don't really see a logical reason to expect a much lower price point on Frodo. Or am I missing something obvious?

ummm....actually no, I was just going with the scale of the figure, but with all of the other factors before you even look at the size of the edition, Frodo has as much tooling and tailoring as any other figure in this format, if not more.

Seaward said:
ummm....actually no, I was just going with the scale of the figure, but with all of the other factors before you even look at the size of the edition, Frodo has as much tooling and tailoring as any other figure in this format, if not more.

They are the same SCALE (1/4); their physical dimensions, though, are quite different. Han stands about 18" tall, while Frodo will only be about 10.5". I'll admit, I was shocked initially when the price was set, in comparison to other PFs. It just doesn't seem right to pay the same amount for a much smaller figure, somehow.

Yeah, I know that they are all in the same scale (1/4), but since Frodo is so much smaller in height, you might think him cheaper. I am just glad Lurtz doesn't cost more with all the leather tooling!

Seaward said:

That is very right. Take a look at the video at G4. Frodo looks perfect to me and I really am happy to order him. I am even more excited to get him than Lurtz. I allways liked the hobbit clothing fashion and the detailed fabric in PF Frodo is more than satisfying

https://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/videos/index.html?&source=083106

Looks into crystal ball....

oooooo, I see a four hobbit *returning to hobbiton garbed* premium format exclusive set that is limited to 9 pieces worldwide.

:monkey3

I have to say with those comparison pics i think its the paint and sculpt that are off.The pose,body,clothing etc are good but if we are paying that much for these collectibles,WHY can't they get the likeness spot on? Gentle Giant seemed to have nailed it for a fraction of the price so from now on i will probably be looking to them for any future purchases.Yeah..I am one of the people who wants to have an accurate sculpt from the film and not just a character 'representation'(before we start that argument again!!).Me..I'll be cancelling my order as i can't justify spending that much money on something that disappoints me.

Because of their smaller size, I can see the possibility of having multiple hobbits represented in one piece or additional items included. Some examples:

1. Sam carrying Frodo on Mt Doom.
2. "You bow to no one" All four hobbits at Elessar's coronation.
3. Frodo sitting at desk at Bag End finishing the LOTR book.

And if we're feeling really brave,

4. Pippin & Murray perched on top of Treebeard. (Treebeard bust only with perched hobbits.)

I love the idea of a PF set with Sam carrying Frodo up the slopes of Mount Doom. The whole idea of any sort of heroics in the books change when Sam slings Frodo over his back! I get giant blubbery tears every time I watch that movie exactly at that part, only to recover enough to get all weepy again when Aragorn says "you bow to no one"
:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Back