Do you think we'll see another PF Frodo?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I'd really like to have a PF Frodo but just am not a big fan of SS's upcoming offering due to the current likeness. Ideally I'd like to have him posed holding Galadriel's vial in Shelob's lair, without his outer vest on.

I know people want to see the whole Fellowship represented, other warriors and various bad guys first but I really want a good Frodo. And who would have guessed a PF Dagobah Luke so soon after Tatooine Luke?

I hope we get another Frodo. I'd like a ROTK version with a more accurate likeness to Elijah Wood.

Considering the very lukewarm reception given to the first PF Frodo, I imagine it'll be a long, long time before we see another. I think collectors who passed on him will be kicking themselves later; I mean, geez, only 1000 pieces worldwide for this piece, considering all the LOTR collectors there are? True, the likeness could be better, but it's still a nice piece.

I think he's one of the few characters that warrant two PF representations along with Gandalf, and Aragorn.

Considering the rate the LOTR PFs are being announced I'm not sure the likelyhood of a second Frodo PF. Seems to me there are lot's of great opportunities for the PF line and so making another Frodo anytime soon would be redundant IMO.

That being said I don't think the current PF Frodo is too shabby. The likeness isn't spot on (in regards to EW) but the character is there. And really it is truely a nice piece in person. I'm glad I pre-ordered it and will be happy to have it in my collection.

With no exclusive, there's just no reason to order this direct from SS. I got mine from Razor's Edge for only $200, which is where I thought this should've been priced by SS.

warlock664 said:
Considering the very lukewarm reception given to the first PF Frodo, I imagine it'll be a long, long time before we see another.
The lukewarm response was to the likeness, not the character. It doesn't mean people don't still want a GOOD Frodo. One thing I'll say in Matt Falls defense, however, is that a 1/4 Hobbit has a head about the same size as a 1/6 human. So this particular PF wouldn't have been any easier to sculpt than the average 1/6 scale figure. But even then his Jedi Luke likeness still blows Frodo away.

No, they won't do one too many other characters warrant one piece made well before a second Frodo. The likeness is also really good in person and as good in the pics.

CAhobbit said:
The likeness isn't spot on (in regards to EW) but the character is there.

snart.gif

I just cancelled my pre-order for Frodo today. After seeing it at Comic Con, I wasn't all that impressed.

Yeah, I would agree that the possibility is remote. The announcements for LOTR in general are coming very slow and according to Brant is due to the complexity of the pieces. So I would expect the resources be devoted to new characters instead of revisiting old.

I don't a comparison to SW Luke is a good argument either. Granted there are a large number of LOTR collectors but regardless of what you might personally feel, I don't think the LOTR collectors have the same passion and drive that is evident in SW collectors. In other words there are many more over-the-top SW collectors than LOTR who will jump all over multiple representations of characters.

Khev said:
The lukewarm response was to the likeness, not the character. It doesn't mean people don't still want a GOOD Frodo.

How do you know this? Based off of negative comments about the sculpt posted on this board? How can you be so sure the likeness, more than the price point, led to the low pre-orders, and thus the low ES ? It could be possible that, at this price point, collectors are more inclined to purchase a WOW piece like Lurtz, and less so the smaller-scaled hobbits. Regardless, how can Sideshow look at the low numbers for the first piece and say "Hey, we really need to produce ANOTHER Frodo PF , the last one sold like gangbusters!". As Josh points out, there are WAY too many characters deserving of a FIRST piece to justify a second Frodo any time soon. :rolleyes:

warlock664 said:
How do you know this? Based off of negative comments about the sculpt posted on this board? How can you be so sure the likeness, more than the price point, led to the low pre-orders, and thus the low ES ? It could be possible that, at this price point, collectors are more inclined to purchase a WOW piece like Lurtz, and less so the smaller-scaled hobbits. Regardless, how can Sideshow look at the low numbers for the first piece and say "Hey, we really need to produce ANOTHER Frodo PF , the last one sold like gangbusters!". As Josh points out, there are WAY too many characters deserving of a FIRST piece to justify a second Frodo any time soon. :rolleyes:

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I was very turned off by the price and that's why I wouldn't even consider getting this direct. The sculpt is by no means dead on, but I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be. I think it's the combination of these factors, plus no exclusive, that lead to the slow sales.

I don't think we're talking about another Frodo in the next 5 or even 10 PF's but in general. Not like have 2 Lukes out of the first 7 SW PF's.

I actually think that Frodo is a pretty good likeness, but to each his own. The paint application may have him looking a little more hawkish around the nose, but I think that this looks great. The price for Frodo is staggeringly high, though, given the size of the figure, but I am sure the quality will be there.

There are probably too other characters to cover before repeating, and Frodo's outfit didn't change throughout the trilogy in nearly the same fashion that Luke's did in star wars. At this glacial pace though, it will be twenty years before Sideshow thinks about repeating characters.

Seaward said:
I actually think that Frodo is a pretty good likeness, but to each his own. The paint application may have him looking a little more hawkish around the nose, but I think that this looks great. The price for Frodo is staggeringly high, though, given the size of the figure, but I am sure the quality will be there.

There are probably too other characters to cover before repeating, and Frodo's outfit didn't change throughout the trilogy in nearly the same fashion that Luke's did in star wars. At this glacial pace though, it will be twenty years before Sideshow thinks about repeating characters.

And my CC thanks them for that pace.

jlcmsu said:
No, they won't do one too many other characters warrant one piece made well before a second Frodo. The likeness is also really good in person and as good in the pics.

I don't know...I saw it in person and I still didn't find the likeness to be very good (if we compare it to EW) but as I said it's still a good piece and is Frodo in so many respects. The clothing alone is fantastic!

CAhobbit said:
I don't know...I saw it in person and I still didn't find the likeness to be very good (if we compare it to EW) but as I said it's still a good piece and is Frodo in so many respects. The clothing alone is fantastic!

It's cool. I disagree as to how close this is to EW. It's not perfect but it is really close to being there imo. It is a ver nice piece and I'm happy to have it.

jlcmsu said:
It's cool. I disagree as to how close this is to EW. It's not perfect but it is really close to being there imo. It is a ver nice piece and I'm happy to have it.

From that side-by-side it looks like the problem is probably more paint aps than actual sculpt.

oxbeard said:
From that side-by-side it looks like the problem is probably more paint aps than actual sculpt.

Yeah, I agree. I'll post a pic of Frodo that I took at SDCC. I think the paint apps look better in the pics I took.

I doubt we will see another one.

I think it looks ok, not perfect, but still good.

Besides, almost all PF pieces look a lot better in person. Josh's pic looks better than the ones on Sideshow's site for sure.

jlcmsu said:
Yeah, I agree. I'll post a pic of Frodo that I took at SDCC. I think the paint apps look better in the pics I took.

Yeah, the shading around the cheeks especially looks better in your con pic. And some of that I'm sure is lighting too.

Back