• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do not use "gift" when sending payment by paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lost out on 2 of my Pf's (Thing PF ex and Anakin PF ex) by not taking the $$$ as Gift from a Buyer....Here is how.....

The buyer had buyer protection using paypal. I shipped the items overseas (Spain)...Buyer said he never got them (they were waiting to be picked up at post office by the buyer), He then contacted paypal and said never got the items...When I showed paypal the proof...Tracking info and what not, they told me once it's out of the US and the item was never technically delivered, That I was beat and refunded his $$....I Tried to get the insurance $$ from the USPS, but to them it was delivered...Few days after all this I see the buyer picked up the Statues...I contacted paypal and they told me the issue was alreday Resolved and how do they know he did not pay another way...So the Buyer got my Statues and all his $$ back. Oh and the $$$ I paid to have them shipped... I lost that as well.

Granted this would most likley not have happened if it was shipped inside the US...but it just left a bad taste in my mouth ...So that's the reason I like to get paid using the gift option...This way I never get screwed like that again.

Wow. That really makes me reconsider selling anything international. What a horror story.

That's not really practical though is it. I mean your going to give up a days work to stay at home and hope your item arrives on that day :cuckoo:

Not the sellers problem, it's for protection. If the buyer really wants the item he can stay home waiting for delivery, so no it's not crazy.

For Sellers that use the gift option make sure that the buyer DOES NOT write the reason for the funds!By doing this it implicates you in defrauding PAYPAL and if discovered they limit or suspend your account.I tell buyers to just to put the screen name in the comments and that's it.Anything else they can email me with it.PAYPAL IS CRACKING DOWN ON THIS!^_^

I never pay as a gift. But then again I've been told I have trust issues:rotfl

I also am turned off by sellers who want their paypal fees paid by me. They are YOUR fees. You pay them.

I also don't buy from people on various forums who want ebay value for their stuff. If you want ebay value then I will buy it on ebay, save the 3%, get my ebay bucks, some positive feedback for me and full protection from ebay. Seriously why should I buy it from you and lose out on the befits from buying on ebay? I'm paying the same amount so i mise well go with ebay and get some extra benefits. You want to sell on forums then you should start at minimum 10% off ebay value as you are paying no fees.

I never pay as a gift. But then again I've been told I have trust issues:rotfl

I also am turned off by sellers who want their paypal fees paid by me. They are YOUR fees. You pay them.

I also don't buy from people on various forums who want ebay value for their stuff. If you want ebay value then I will buy it on ebay, save the 3%, get my ebay bucks, some positive feedback for me and full protection from ebay. Seriously why should I buy it from you and lose out on the befits from buying on ebay? I'm paying the same amount so i mise well go with ebay and get some extra benefits. You want to sell on forums then you should start at minimum 10% off ebay value as you are paying no fees.

And that is why a DON'T sell on ebay anymore. ZERO protection for the seller! When a seller can't give a scammer buyer negative feedback, you have a messed up system.9 out of 10 times the seller is going to get screwed in a paypal dispute with ebay, even when the seller covers his butt. Its sad. A seller is actually better protected outside of ebay these days.

And that is why a DON'T sell on ebay anymore. ZERO protection for the seller! When a seller can't give a scammer buyer negative feedback, you have a messed up system.9 out of 10 times the seller is going to get screwed in a paypal dispute with ebay, even when the seller covers his butt. Its sad. A seller is actually better protected outside of ebay these days.

there is almost no protection for buyers outside of ebay, except for non delivery. I once bought a statue off one of the boards and it arrived in pieces. Filed a claim with paypal because the seller refused to do anything about it and they immediately closed the claim and sided with the seller. When I called and asked they said they can only verify if an item is not as described if it is listed on ebay. So from then on I only buy things through Paypal using my credit card. Twice that has saved me on receiving damaged goods that the seller refused to take care of. Paypal found in favor of the seller, my bank found in favor of me and took the money back from Paypal. :nana:

While I have never asked anyone to pay me via Gift, I am amazed at the number of people who end up paying me that way when I have never dealt with them before.

You are SOOOO RIGHT! I have been scammed TWICE on two different HT figures. I am SOOO ANGRY that I gave up on Ebay for now. Paypal protects the scammers and nothing for the seller...unbelievable.
I have sold on Ebay since 1999 and this is what loyalty for a long time seller giving Ebay lots of money gets...ZERO.

so besides the dealer guy that scammed everyone, has anyone paid via gift to someone that had great feedback on these boards and got screwed?

there is almost no protection for buyers outside of ebay, except for non delivery. I once bought a statue off one of the boards and it arrived in pieces. Filed a claim with paypal because the seller refused to do anything about it and they immediately closed the claim and sided with the seller. When I called and asked they said they can only verify if an item is not as described if it is listed on ebay. So from then on I only buy things through Paypal using my credit card. Twice that has saved me on receiving damaged goods that the seller refused to take care of. Paypal found in favor of the seller, my bank found in favor of me and took the money back from Paypal. :nana:

While I have never asked anyone to pay me via Gift, I am amazed at the number of people who end up paying me that way when I have never dealt with them before.

That is why buyers should know who they are buying from. As a seller, off ebay is much preferred to ebay. Buyers should always be careful though - ebay or not. From what I've read here, most of the time it seems to be the BUYER that is the scammer, not the seller.

I don't buy stuff from people who tell you they're charging you for the paypal fees. Its obvious when you price something you are accounting for your built in costs. Making it sound like you need to be additionally compensated as if Paypal is your only option to accept payment just makes you sound like a tool.

so besides the dealer guy that scammed everyone, has anyone paid via gift to someone that had great feedback on these boards and got screwed?

Yes, from no feedback to high feedback, new members, to mods, there are plenty of horror stories. You just gotta poke around to find them. :(

I like money orders. They only cost $0.60, and no one makes long boring threads about them.

Trouble is it is a PAIN to go out and get a MO at times- we are all busy and sending money by Paypal takes 30 seconds....much preferred... but I agree- MO option looks better by the minute. :clap

Agreed - gift payment is not meant for business.

There's always going to be overhead when doing business, that's just the way it is. Making customers eat this is something I've never done, and am surprised so many folks do it here to be honest (turns me off from buying too).

That's fine you don't want to sell on ebay. However, because you are not paying any fees on forums then you need to convince me to buy the exact same item from you for the exact same price as ebay.

I get perks to buy from ebay. If somebody on the boards wanted to charge a little less then ebay then I'm game...but I still won't mark it as a gift:rotfl

Here's some little math.

Let's say I'm buying a $200 Hot Toy figure. I buy on the boards I have to pay an extra 3% usually. So know I'm paying an extra $6 for the figure. I can get the exact same thing on ebay for the same price however I now save the 3% saving me $6. Then I get 2% back in ebay bucks giving me an extra $4 to spend on stuff from ebay. So by buying identical items on ebay I save $6 and MAKE an extra $4 for a total profit of $10. So who do you think I'm going to buy from?

Trouble is it is a PAIN to go out and get a MO at times- we are all busy and sending money by Paypal takes 30 seconds....much preferred... but I agree- MO option looks better by the minute. :clap

It does? And what is the difference between a MO, and sending as gift?
Can you prove that the recipient cashed it? I can cas any check or money order at a check cashing place, and no one will ever be able to, or go thru the hoops of proving that I did.

Bottom line - For me, as a buyer, Paypal is the only way to go, and never as 'Gift'.
And if any of you choose otherwise - Well then, I have a beautiful bridge I will sell to you for dirt cheap.

Back