• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do not use "gift" when sending payment by paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it is a kind of turn-off for me as a buyer, as well. I'm thinking, "Are you really gonna try to charge me all the fees plus shipping? Give me a break." Of course, it wouldn't feel as obnoxious if they just factored it into their asking price, even though they would essentially make the same amount. You're already skirting the eBay fees by selling here. But from the seller's side, I've done this in the past, and my POV at the time was, "well, I'm just asking the amount I ultimately want to receive," so I don't think all sellers are really thinking explicitly that "I want to save as much money as possible and to pass it onto the buyer if they disagree," but for buyers, it can and does come off that way sometimes.

Personally, as a seller, I'm happy to only have to give up the Paypal fees in most instances if I'm avoiding eBay by doing so.

Looks better to a buyer.

Target and such already factors their card processing fees into their product prices.

Then again, I also don't believe in paying sellers fees. That is the price you pay for making money.

I completely agree with this... I never request or make a buyer pay the 3% fees or send payment as a gift. Now on the other hand if a buyer who knows me chooses to do that I will not complain or return the money. And sometimes I will send as a gift for the same reasons, or if its a small transaction (under $10 or so).

But Paypal fees are part of this business and they are seller fees, not buyer fees. If you really want to be fair I guess splitting them in half would be the only way to do it... but again you (as the seller) are the one making money so it only makes sense you should pay the fees :huh

Its kind of like trying to get eBay prices on the board... everyone knows you're going to loose 10%-12% between eBay and Paypal fees so its usually best to adjust your asking price down accordingly. Just my thoughts on it.

I have lost out on 2 of my Pf's (Thing PF ex and Anakin PF ex) by not taking the $$$ as Gift from a Buyer....Here is how.....

The buyer had buyer protection using paypal. I shipped the items overseas (Spain)...Buyer said he never got them (they were waiting to be picked up at post office by the buyer), He then contacted paypal and said never got the items...When I showed paypal the proof...Tracking info and what not, they told me once it's out of the US and the item was never technically delivered, That I was beat and refunded his $$....I Tried to get the insurance $$ from the USPS, but to them it was delivered...Few days after all this I see the buyer picked up the Statues...I contacted paypal and they told me the issue was alreday Resolved and how do they know he did not pay another way...So the Buyer got my Statues and all his $$ back. Oh and the $$$ I paid to have them shipped... I lost that as well.

Granted this would most likley not have happened if it was shipped inside the US...but it just left a bad taste in my mouth ...So that's the reason I like to get paid using the gift option...This way I never get screwed like that again.

Sadly, for that reason, I don't ship outside of the country unless folks are willing to give up protection. I only say that I'm willing to sell in the states in order to just avoid the issue, and I tell potential international buyers that they should consider the ramifications of paying as gift which is usually enough to turn them away. I'm just not willing to take the risk, given that my past experiences (particularly with shipping to France and Canada surprisingly) were hit-or-miss using foreign postal services.

I have sometimes made exceptions for Express Mail international only, but I'm less and less inclined to even go there, because I'm not 100% sure that that even protects me as a seller.

Sorry to hear that Frankierock... Paypal tried to pull the same bull____ with me, but I called and complained numerous times until I got my money back.

I won't send it as a gift unless it's someone I personally know well.

As for sellers that ask for the 3% I won't buy from you. It's the price of business. Do you ask people who buy on eBay to pay you eBay fees too?

I agree with this. I have bought things posted on this and other sites and will continue to do so if it's something I like and the price is right. However I have passed on items where the seller ask that payment be made as a gift or pay the additional fee.

I agree with this. I have bought things posted on this and other sites and will continue to do so if it's something I like and the price is right. However I have passed on items where the seller ask that payment be made as a gift or pay the additional fee.

It's just optics :dunno

Those who don't ask for payment as a gift already factor the fees into the price in most cases. So I don't get this mentality.

From what I have been reading, Paypal and Ebay enjoy bending sellers over. It's always best to just ship inside the lower 48 states in the US, don't ship anywhere else. If you are going to ship internationally always make sure to get signature confirmation and if you have to, require the signature to be done only by the person you are shipping it to, not even their family members in their home.

always make sure to get signature confirmation and if you have to, require the signature to be done only by the person you are shipping it to, not even their family members in their home.
That's not really practical though is it. I mean your going to give up a days work to stay at home and hope your item arrives on that day :cuckoo:

It's just optics :dunno

Those who don't ask for payment as a gift already factor the fees into the price in most cases. So I don't get this mentality.

Why would you buy from someone too lazy to do the math themselves? If they're too lazy to multiply their asking price by .03 then add the result into their asking price, they'll probably be too lazy to ship the item in a timely fashion and likely too lazy to pack it correctly.

I'll be glad when PayPal finally revokes the "Gift" option due to abuse. And deservedly so. Misering 3% is pathetically cheap on a seller's part. Doubly so when you consider that selling here they're saving 15-20% on closing fees.

Last edited:
LOL! Wrong! Only you!

But seriously now - My example of Mista305 was just to show how someone we all think of as 'solid' can go south... Even on the Spawn boards - Right now there is a call-out thread on a boardie I've dealt with many times, and so did others, yet as of 5 weeks ago he is nowhere to be found.. Took someone for I think $250 and vanished..
'Gift' = Trouble.
Sooner or later, it will bite you in the booty.

I promise not to bite! Much! :lol

Yes, the scam remark is one sided and biased. Perhaps there are people out there that just want to defraud Paypal and aren't looking to scam a fellow collector.

But no matter how many times I say that the forum is not responsible for transactions here, I still get people coming to me wanting to fix their deals gone bad. Frequently they paid as a gift and have no recourse with Paypal.

Just trying to prevent as much heartache as possible.

Why was I included in that? I was illustrating the exact same point you were making.

I didn't include anyone in anything, just quoted them as a group so I don't have to address each post separately.

With yours though, I meant to say that I totally agree with, but it got lost in all the quotes and I forgot.
So anyway - I meant to say that I agree with you 100%.

Why would you buy from someone too lazy to do the math themselves? If they're too lazy to multiply their asking price by .03 then add the result into their asking price, they'll probably be too lazy to ship the item in a timely fashion and likely too lazy to pack it correctly.

I'll be glad when PayPal finally revokes the "Gift" option due to abuse. And deservedly so. Misering 3% is pathetically cheap on a seller's part. Doubly so when you consider that selling here they're saving 15-20% on closing fees.

I don't understand why it would be so difficult for them to just give the buyer protection if using the gift option, instead of revoking it.

thanks guys, from now on I'm not going to be using the "gift" option anymore. Better to be safe then sorry.

I don't understand why it would be so difficult for them to just give the buyer protection if using the gift option, instead of revoking it.

That 3.whatever% is what makes the company the most profit. With that profit they pay their employees. Someone that needs their help and paid with a gift would be charity (pro bono). Thats not the corporate way.

Yeah, Paypal is a business. . .a business that is owned by the same entity that owns eBay and that has a monopoly over the non-credit card online payment system. Not only are they gonna make money, they're gonna make a ludicrous amount of money. Because they can :1-1:

Back