• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do not use "gift" when sending payment by paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used gift all the time, You just need to know who ur dealing with and check out their reviews.

Considering how many "longtime", "great" and "upstanding" guys have scammed or just ____ed over people on this board, I'm shocked anybody would risk gift payments for anything here. And then to see it defended is just... :cuckoo:

just charge the buyer 3%. In my view, if you're spending hundreds of dollars on a high end figure, whats another couple of bucks to keep you protected through paypal?

As a buyer, I dont mind paying the extra $$, and as a seller, it shouldnt really matter to you, cause you're getting paid the same.

As a buyer I have paid a ton of members here as a gift, but I do my research on them first.

As a seller I offer the gift payment or add the PP fees.

I haven't been screwed with gift payments either, but I also am careful who I deal with too.

I'd only send gift to someone i trusted.

I pay and receive in gift all the time and have yet to have any problems. As A2C had said, do your research. If the person has outstanding positive review and an amazing reputation here, I'd never hesitate to pay in gift. The chances of getting screwed is still there but it's very very tiny.

i do pay and get paid as a gift. Just doing your own research and communicate clearly and as stated.

i used gift all the time, You just need to know who ur dealing with and check out their reviews.

Considering how many "longtime", "great" and "upstanding" guys have scammed or just ____ed over people on this board, I'm shocked anybody would risk gift payments for anything here. And then to see it defended is just... :cuckoo:

To all the above:
Mista305. Look him up. Ya poor bastids.

Looks better to a buyer.

Target and such already factors their card processing fees into their product prices.

Then again, I also don't believe in paying sellers fees. That is the price you pay for making money.

Amen. Hai-ley-lou-yah!

I accept paypal gift payments and have always sent out stuff without scamming anyone. I will still ask as gift. If they don't like then they just have to add the 3% for paypal fees.

I haven't been screwed with gift payments either, but I also am careful who I deal with too.

I understand Dave's point with the post; it should be crystal clear that the mods are warning members against sending gifts and making the risks well known. Members who request payment as a gift aren't always scammers, but you should NOT send gifts to low-post count/low-feedback members or anyone who offers to-good-to-be-true deals. Like Commtech, I have no problem accepting paypal gifts or offering to send an invoice if the buyer wants to pay the 3% fee.

I personally will never send a payment as a gift unless the member is well-known/trusted or has tons of feedback.

To all the above:
Mista305. Look him up. Ya poor bastids.
Correction, I will probably never send a gift payment again.

Woah, holy shat. Wasn't he some sort of dealer?

Yes. He was a 'Well trusted boardie'. An 'Established Member'. Someone with 'Many Good Reviews'. A Man 'We Knew forever'.
He was a Pillar of the Community, Salt of the Earth, a Giant amongst Mental Midgets... Savior of Baby Seals, Devourer of Evil...

And then, he went and screwed people over for THOUSANDS.

So yeah, keep sending 'Gifts'. Smart move.

And @ kibishii - Tons of feedback means nothing. For example - Mista305 had 147 ( !!! ) positives. A Hundred and Forty Holy Smokes Seven!

Last edited:
Yea everyone remember mista. I had bought well over 6 ht figs from him with no problems. Then all of a sudden he flakes out on tons of people. Lucky me I didn't have any pending deals or preorders with him. But the difference with him is that he's a dealer and he got people on preorders that people paid in advance for before they were out. As we all know regular sellers that aren't dealers aren't allowed to sell stuff that are not yet on hand.

Oh and I never paid mista in gift form and I don't think he ever asked for payment in gift so I don't even know if this subject relates to him at all. If I am wrong about the gift part about him I apologize.

The only one I would trust with 'gift' is EndIessRAIN!

Good to see you, miss you on the Spawn boards :)

The only one I would trust with 'gift' is EndIessRAIN!

Good to see you, miss you on the Spawn boards :)

You heard it here folks!!! BUY MY STUFF!!!
Thanks for this giant vote of confidence bro. Really appreciated it. I'm sure you would pay Silentsurfer or Elvis1976 and a few selected others in gift too but you're sti awesome!

Ok I dont send gift even if they ask me to.. I just pay the paypal fees and send the money.. its easy to do.. basically every $5 you send you need to send an extra 25cents which is the fee.. so yea if you send $20 you add $1 ....

Now mind you why should I pay the paypal fees.. well I am saving the time and trouble of having to mail a money order that I would have to wait for them to get . so why should they pay to recieve the money. They wouldnt pay anything to recieve a money order. And its easy if you dont want to pay the paypal fees then they will just have to sell the item a few bucks higher to cover the fees.. either way you do pay.

Ok why do I do it.. simple.. when you send the funds and pay the fees.. you select "goods" purchase.. and then they have to ship your item and provide tracking to paypal if something goes wrong..

If for some reason the item gets lost or whatever you have paypal protection.. as paypal will ask the sender for a valid tracking # to prove delivery.

its just a little bit more protection for you.. if you click gift.. you dont get anything as they dont have to even ship the item.. and hey you said it was a gift.. sucker.. hey it could happen to anyone..

now guys this is just what I do.. you can choose to do whatever you want just puttin in my 2 cents.

good luck guys.

Last edited:
Oh and I never paid mista in gift form and I don't think he ever asked for payment in gift so I don't even know if this subject relates to him at all. If I am wrong about the gift part about him I apologize.

It applies only in the sense that some folks are saying you can trust a member with a lot of + feedback.

It's true that the vast majority of people in the commerce section are legit but it only takes one transaction for someone to go from trusted member to dirty thief.

Also, there have been a occasions where one person mentions that a certain seller has stopped replying to them and hasn't shipped and then lots of other members come out of the woodwork because he/she is doing the same to them.

The feedback thread is a great tool but it doesn't show everything. Avoiding the Gift option is just another good way to protect yourself.

You heard it here folks!!! BUY MY STUFF!!!
Thanks for this giant vote of confidence bro. Really appreciated it. I'm sure you would pay Silentsurfer or Elvis1976 and a few selected others in gift too but you're sti awesome!

LOL! Wrong! Only you!

But seriously now - My example of Mista305 was just to show how someone we all think of as 'solid' can go south... Even on the Spawn boards - Right now there is a call-out thread on a boardie I've dealt with many times, and so did others, yet as of 5 weeks ago he is nowhere to be found.. Took someone for I think $250 and vanished..
'Gift' = Trouble.
Sooner or later, it will bite you in the booty.

In my opinon anyone who sends gift pyments for something over $100 is dumb. l have bought and paid for many thing as gift, but those were cheap 1/6 items from sellers l new would be goo. I would never by a PF and pay as gift, that is just dumb. If someone did pay as gift and got screwed well they leared a lesson and won't do it again.

I won't send it as a gift unless it's someone I personally know well.

As for sellers that ask for the 3% I won't buy from you. It's the price of business. Do you ask people who buy on eBay to pay you eBay fees too?

Back