Do not try this at home!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol that makeshift light is a fire waiting to happen

Looks like an Alien got ahold of him, or it's acid.

I have to admit that while I do feel sympathy, it's really cool to see pictures like that. Just be thankful it didn't drop to the right and melt Theoden!

Geez, Rad, that really sucks. Looks kinda cool but sucks. It's great that Sideshow is sending a head to you, I wonder if they keep some extra heads around just for these types of situation. I would like to see that room, full of extra heads for Sideshow figures. By the way, I assume you'll change out that lamps, right? If so, I suggest try finding some LED lights that's bright enough.

I have to admit that while I do feel sympathy, it's really cool to see pictures like that. Just be thankful it didn't drop to the right and melt Theoden!

Theoden isn't made of plastic, it's polystone. I doubt if that will melt like that? :confused: Not gonna try, by the way :p

ALWAYS USE LED'S MAN! They do not emit heat and will save loads off your energy bill. They are also brighter and more economical than conventional bulbs and/or fluorescent lights.

That sucks about your figure though. :(

:lol It's funny, but also sad.
Is this the beginning of the meltdown of all '12' inch figures??? Scary thought.
Hope your replacement head will get attached without too many probs.

Anyone have pics of these LED lamps you speak of? Do they plug into the regular socket? I mean, my cabinet came with its own set of lamps, and if LEDs are as bright and cheaper and save me more on energy, I don't mind going that route.

Anyone have pics of these LED lamps you speak of? Do they plug into the regular socket? I mean, my cabinet came with its own set of lamps, and if LEDs are as bright and cheaper and save me more on energy, I don't mind going that route.

The LED lights I use are battery powered. They're like cheap version of the Sylvania DOT-it lights, sadly I didn't realize there were only one bulb so it's not very bright. The Sylvania ones have three bulbs in it and other collectors have recommended it before. Here's a link and try looking in your local stores, I think I've seen them in Home Depot.

there are different types of LED lights. The battery powered stick on lights, and plug in ones from Ikea (and possibly elsewhere)

Some battery ones only have one LED, some (like mine) have 3, so are bright enough.

The Ikea ones I think have about 8 LED's, and plug in... which is a good or bad thing depending on your point of view... but then you have to hide wires, which you don't with battery ones.

I actually wanted the plug in ones, they're brighter and MUCH thinner than the battery ones (they're almost flat) but I couldn't afford them at the time.... to get 4 lights would have cost me about £35 GBP.... (or more, cant remember) but a local cheapy shop had no-brand battery lights for £3 for 3.... so for £20 I ended up with 20 lights!!

anyway... here's a pic of my cabinets so you can see what LED lights can look like. (they're not as bright as plug in halogen downlighters... but they give of a much cooler white light, which is quite cool and unique when you're used to normal yellow bulbs... I kinda like them)

collection1.jpg

collection2.jpg

collection2.jpg

collection3.jpg

collection1.jpg

as you can see they work well for both figures AND props.... the only choice is do you get battery or plug in :) hope this helped

R, you never answered the question about what you'd taped to the halogen light. It looked like an improvised cardboard baffle meant to bounce the light back at the figures. I'm curious about what the surface over the figure looks like -- was it scorched?

Putting ANYTHING on a halogen light that isn't designed for it is extremely dangerous. Changing the direction of the light also changes the buildup of heat. When changing a halogen bulb you're supposed to wear gloves or use a cloth to handle the new bulb because a tiny bit of oil from your fingers will cause it to heat irregularly and can make the bulb explode later. Darren was on the money -- you're very, very lucky this didn't erupt into a bigger fire. Had it taken even one shelf, you'd have smoke damage throughout your home.

LEDs (light emitting diodes) are the way to go today. Anyone who's got halogens should understand their use, and use them only as directed.

:lecture

R, you never answered the question about what you'd taped to the halogen light. It looked like an improvised cardboard baffle meant to bounce the light back at the figures. I'm curious about what the surface over the figure looks like -- was it scorched?

Putting ANYTHING on a halogen light that isn't designed for it is extremely dangerous. Changing the direction of the light also changes the buildup of heat. When changing a halogen bulb you're supposed to wear gloves or use a cloth to handle the new bulb because a tiny bit of oil from your fingers will cause it to heat irregularly and can make the bulb explode later. Darren was on the money -- you're very, very lucky this didn't erupt into a bigger fire. Had it taken even one shelf, you'd have smoke damage throughout your home.

LEDs (light emitting diodes) are the way to go today. Anyone who's got halogens should understand their use, and use them only as directed.

:lecture

Gruff, that IS a cardboard baffle. And as for changing the light's direction . . . none of it will affect the buildup of heat on the lamp housing or the bulb itself since it doesn't direct any of it back to the lamp. It may affect the distribution of heat inside the cabinet if anything (hehe, I have a Master's in engineering, so heat transfer and thermo gradients are second-nature to me). The reason the lamp fell on Boromir's head was because I had another statue sitting on the top of the cabinet that knocked it loose. The heat from the lamp stretched the screw ring that was usually tight around the lamp housing to the point that it got loose. I have since tightened it.

As for these LED lamps --- Darren, if they're battery operated ... does that mean you have to turn them on individually when you want to showcase them to people? That's a lot of lamps! A white light would be nice, but I'm not so sure how well they work in an HT setup -- if it will detract from watching a video properly while lit. White light tends to diffuse differently compared to incandescent light. Do these white LEDs behave like fluorescent lights?

As for these LED lamps --- Darren, if they're battery operated ... does that mean you have to turn them on individually when you want to showcase them to people? That's a lot of lamps! A white light would be nice, but I'm not so sure how well they work in an HT setup -- if it will detract from watching a video properly while lit. White light tends to diffuse differently compared to incandescent light. Do these white LEDs behave like fluorescent lights?

as for turning them on, it's not too bad, only takes about 15 seconds or something.... and then they're on. And i don't use them all the time really, because they're directly behind where i sit in the small office here. Even if I used them every day though, I wouldnt mind switching them on.

what's a 'HT setup'. as for detracting from watching a video, I don't know.... i guess it would depend where everything is for you. They're not as bright as normal halogen spotlights, so i can't see them causing a problem really. It just gives a much cooler (colour temperature) effect.

because they're so small (inside a display cabinet or between shelves as opposed to a full size light on a ceiling) I don't think you need to worry about how they compare to fluorescent lights.

Hey Darren, a question.

Do those lights come off easy to change the batteries?

They look very cool!! And great looking display!

the back part that has the batteries in, stays stuck to the surface... the front cover screws off, letting you get to the batteries

and thanks about the display, the key to making a display look good is keeping it simple and uncluttered. As soon as you start putting too many things on the shelves it starts to look messy

oh and some form of lighting helps too... but as you can see, it doesn't have to be hugely expensive ;)

Thanks mate!

And I agree with you on the keeping it simple part. Not a fan of clutter myself.

Gonna have to see if I can find those lights around here.....

Back