Do not try this at home!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I agree that LED lighting may be less of a hassle, I do think that they just don't provide the same lighting "umph" or effect that halogens do. Just look at what your finer jewelry stores use to show off their expensive items. There's just something about that light that makes the lit items look even better.

A few months ago I switched the lighting in my hobby room to halogen track lighting and it really improved not only the general lighting but the highlighting of my collectibles, be it poly or plastic. Even with subtle things, like the glint off of a figure's eyes, is a sight to behold.

Personally, I like the IKEA lights that are recommended for the Detolf cabinets. To me, they provide a more 'oomph' when it comes to lighting and they don't emit that much heat.

maulvader4mj.jpg

Personally, I like the IKEA lights that are recommended for the Detolf cabinets. To me, they provide a more 'oomph' when it comes to lighting and they don't emit that much heat...[/IMG]

I bought some of those lights with my Detolfs but never installed them. The wire hanging in the back bothers me. Maybe one day I'll put them on when I stop being so **** about stuff like that. :lol

I don't need to buy anything yet, because I may be getting the replacement from Sideshow, through the kindness of their hearts.

Personally, I like the IKEA lights that are recommended for the Detolf cabinets. To me, they provide a more 'oomph' when it comes to lighting and they don't emit that much heat.

I actually use those too, but I don't have them on much since I can generally see my figures w/o much trouble.

And for the black wires, you can hide them if you electrical tape them behind the plastic joiners at the back corners.

While I agree that LED lighting may be less of a hassle, I do think that they just don't provide the same lighting "umph" or effect that halogens do. Just look at what your finer jewelry stores use to show off their expensive items. There's just something about that light that makes the lit items look even better.

A few months ago I switched the lighting in my hobby room to halogen track lighting and it really improved not only the general lighting but the highlighting of my collectibles, be it poly or plastic. Even with subtle things, like the glint off of a figure's eyes, is a sight to behold.

I like a softer light ( LED ) that highlights the figure in a dark room instead of trying to turn night into day time like halogen lights do. WAY too bright for my taste. The LED puts a nice, soft, white light on the figure while leaving the surrounding area dark which I like. Halogen lights up the whole world.

i agree. I remember looking at your collection when i was considering getting these LEDs. I remembered that i'd seen them in your collection thread so I went to have another look a them. I'm glad I did... it's how I prefer them to be as well. dark around the figure with the figure standing in a wash of clean light.

halogens are much brighter, but so much so that they light up the room... plus i find them too bright if you have the items on display close to the lights. Better for under shelf lighting as opposed to lighting up individual display pieces i find.

....and they use more energy, lol

I like a softer light ( LED ) that highlights the figure in a dark room instead of trying to turn night into day time like halogen lights do. WAY too bright for my taste. The LED puts a nice, soft, white light on the figure while leaving the surrounding area dark which I like. Halogen lights up the whole world.

I understand and agree on the more muted lighting effect. I have just that with my halogen track lighting. The lamps themselves are actually quite small (not the usual high-hats that are used for general lighting) and spotlight certain small areas that I wish to emphasize with the lighting. But I have enough of them throughout the room that they also provide a rather subdued general lighting effect as well. As for LED's, many times they tend to provide a rather bluish tinged lighting, which throws off the colors of the highlighted piece(s).

Back